• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting scared

Awenlock

My surgery date is less than 9 weeks away and I have gone from excited elation to have finally got my date to being absolutely petrified. :(
All horrible things going through my head like not waking up and what will happen to my son and never seeing the people I love again, I know it's really rare to have complications but it does happen, I suppose the fact that I have had surgery twice before in the last few years should make me feel a little better but it doesn't, have tried to talk to my family about my fears but all I get told is "well don't have the surgery then!" why don't they understand that I am doing it because I have too, not because I want too?? I didn't go through the last three years of jumping through NHS hoops on a whim!!

I just don't know what to do with myself at the minute, have booked a short break so that I can have a few days with my hubby and son and chill out for a bit, am hoping I feel better after this.

Oh I really feel for you :( and I know I'm going to be just the same when my time comes. I know it's hard but try to concentrate on the positives, you are going to look fab at Christmas, and by next summer you are going to be wearing shorts!!!!! Omg I can't imagine wearing shorts lol good luck with it all, you are going to be just fine :) xxx

I soooooo know what you are going through and I sympathise! My surgery is booked for less than 5 weeks time and I am petrified! It doesn't help with my mum keep asking me not to have the operation - but I have to do this for my health! x

hi love,i understand completely how you feel , ,mines in 26 days and my fears are that il wake up and its not done! , we will be fine , gotta keep positive , and not fall at the last hurdle ! , im so excited , counting the days and trying to keep busy , sorting out my kitchen cupboards ,,,where do all the pots and pans come from?,lol ,keep strong , and il see you on the losers bench in a few weeks xxxxx

hi love,i understand completely how you feel , ,mines in 26 days and my fears are that il wake up and its not done! , we will be fine , gotta keep positive , and not fall at the last hurdle ! , im so excited , counting the days and trying to keep busy , sorting out my kitchen cupboards ,,,where do all the pots and pans come from?,lol ,keep strong , and il see you on the losers bench in a few weeks xxxxx

Hey Star, you are two days after me!! I too am going through all these thoughts, what if's and but's. But at the end of the day, it is the first day of the rest of your HEALTHY life. We wouldn't be human if we weren't a little scared about things. We will all be fine. As someone said to me in a post - Enjoy the ride. ;) You have come a long way to back out now. xx

Try not to worry too much ... easy for me to say I know, especially as I am the biggest wuss around :sigh: but you have sooo many reason to have this op, I am guessing, or you would not have got this far. This might just be a blip & your break with your family may sort you out, fingers crossed for you, honey. :D Good luck & best wishes to all soon to be post op'ers :jelous: :) :jelous: :)

Thanks all so much for replying, it feels better just to be able to vent to people who know exactly what I am going through, I think I am going to be a pretty regular visitor on this forum as the countdown goes on...lol xxx

Awenlock,

Another one here who has got there surgery in the next few weeks (3 weeks today in my case!!) and who, while being positive it's the right thing for me, has moments of sheer terror or indecision about going through with it.

We wouldn't be human if we didn't have our moments of wavering - its one of the things that shows us that we're capable of making the decision.

What we (and I address this to myself too) need to do is think back to that first conversation with our GP before we were referred for WLS and how much we wanted to give ourselves our lives back. I think if we do that we will soon get over the indecision and nerves and look forward to this Christmas and how different our lives will be!!

Tatiana

Hi i know how u feel i have been the same, my whole family are not wanting me to have it done, and its getting me down, on top of worring about the surgery and am i going to be leaving my kids without a mother, sometimes its to much but i know i need to do this as there is not other way for me, we will be ok tho just try not to think and dwell on it to much and believe me thats not easy for me to say lol. keep us informed hunni

My op is next Wednesday, so only 5 more sleeps and I can assure you I have had soooooo many sleepless nights with all the same thoughts and fears that you are having. It is completely natural this is HUGE!!

But you must trust your team and your istincts...you've done the research, check out all your options and made your decision....you will be fine I'm sure. Try to enjoy your break away and don't be too hard on your family they probably have their own concerns as well.

Best of luck with your journey, embrace all the things that are about to change your life forever:)

hugs, as many have said it is normal to start worrying. I am sure you will be fine and as you said you have come so far. xxx

Hi sweetie

I know how u feel I have my surgery the day before you, the other nite I was crying as though like u what happens if I don't wale up, but after speaking to lovely people on here and a friend in same boat I feel a lot better. Message me if u fancy a chat xxx

I not got my date yet but sooooo pleased I got approval for funding I posted it on social network site (not to mention what one lol) got lots of my friends giving lots of positive feedback then got phone call from sister asking why people were congratulating me on wasting Nhs money for something pointless that I could do myself if I got off my backside and put my mind to it. Ah well nastiness is not what I need so told her to shut up and haven't spoken to her since the worst thing is she is only a bit less heavy than me but would still qualify for surgery herself but doesn't want it and has battled all her life with eating disorders, I have made the decision to change what I am I hate being this and for me it is going to be the most positive thing I could do sorry to ramble on xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

All your fears are completely normal...please try not to worry. I was so excited at the thought of having my op! The night before surgery I was in floods of tears wondering if I was making the right decision. My poor mum didn't know what to say to me.
IT'S THE BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE! :) :)

I not got my date yet but sooooo pleased I got approval for funding I posted it on social network site (not to mention what one lol) got lots of my friends giving lots of positive feedback then got phone call from sister asking why people were congratulating me on wasting Nhs money for something pointless that I could do myself if I got off my backside and put my mind to it. Ah well nastiness is not what I need so told her to shut up and haven't spoken to her since the worst thing is she is only a bit less heavy than me but would still qualify for surgery herself but doesn't want it and has battled all her life with eating disorders, I have made the decision to change what I am I hate being this and for me it is going to be the most positive thing I could do sorry to ramble on xx

You did right to stand up to your sister, but please don't fall out with each other for too long. Maybe if you could put in writing why you need this surgery and that it's a definate last resort for you, and ask her to read it, she might start to understand and maybe even support you. Good luck with your journey.

I must be the odd one out here when i got my date i couldnt wait for the day to come i had no fears whatsoever and on the day of surgery i was so happy even the theatre staff couldnt believe it. providing youve followed the pre op diet to a tee believe me its all over so quick youll be thinking what was all the fuss about. and just so you all know i have 3 teenage children and a loving family behind me so i had a lot to lose if things went pear shaped but without fail it was one of the best decisions ive ever made in my life so the very best of luck to yourself and all the pre oppers with surgery coming up

Its often those closest to us that give us the most upset...maybe she has her own concerns and doesn't understand the operation and what a change it can make for you...

Please try not to fall out over it all....you've made your decision and are happy with....she's made hers. Maybe when she sees you being successful and happy she will change her mind and you will be best placed to help her with her journey..

Good luck and I hope you get your date soon

Back