• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting there slowly, half way through the assessment process!

Hi all,

So I thought I'd update you all after being away for so long.... I've recently seen the psychologist just before Christmas who spent a long time going through my rather complicated mental health history (bipolar disorder, depression and anxiety), we talked about medication, support etc and how I thought I'd cope with such an upheaval etc.

She was so lovely, really reassuring and saw no reason why I shouldn't have the surgery so would be recommending that I went through to the next stage of the assessment process.

She was impressed with how much research I'd done into how having the op will impact on my life, both physically and mentally and was impressed with the changes I've already implemented in my attitude towards eating since I began my diet. (meal replacement plan which I've lost 4 stone in 6 months).

Today I've received my next appointment to see the Dietician in a fortnight ?! After this I will see the Dr attached to the service, anaesthetist, nurse and then finally the surgeon who will hopefully give me the go ahead and a date!

Back in March at the first appointment when the nurse said about 18 months, I was absolutely devastated. Now, half way through, I've already lost 4 stone, and as I move through the process, I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Hope you guys are all well, I shall pop on again tomorrow for a catch up with everyone. I guess you're all skinny Minnie's now!

Love Mel xx

I think you've done amazingly losing 4 st on your own ?

Thanks Niccie,

To be honest I could have lost a lot more as I've not been 100% recently due to the old demons kicking in under stress. I've just had a little break over Christmas and am now hoping to get back on my diet as I would really like to lose about 6 stone on this then go back on slimming world until surgery, although I'm dreading going back to eating food again after living on such a restricted diet since June!

Have you had your surgery yet?

Take care

Love Mel xx

Yes I had a sleeve in August. I am very happy with it but wasn't quite prepared for it being so hard mentally, although the first few months were fairly easy ?

Sounds like you're getting some good news and it's all looking positive purpleme! It also sounds as though you've been doing fantastic mental preparation during your weight - your loss is amazing considering you're going it alone with no WLS tools to help you.

Fingers crossed for your next news to be a surgery date :)

Thanks both. I'm really excited so far, just not patient at all and wish I could wake up tomorrow to a letter from the hospital saying my surgery was already scheduled!

Niccie, I think no matter how much we prepare, th head hunger is going to be a nightmare! I think this is going to be the hardest part for me personally. I have relied on food as a crutch for far too long and know that this is my biggest hurdle. Since August I've been going through hell as my teenage daughter decided to up and leave us, causing huge amounts of stress, hurt and upset. To be honest, I don't know how I've still managed to lose weight as I'm not sleeping or following my diet properly but I need to kick myself to get back on it 100% so I can lose another 2 stone.

I'm a bit worried that if I lose too much they'll say I don't need this op but I'm scared that once I stop the diet and go back to eating normal food I'll put the weight back on because this has always been the case previously, although I've never don't this type of diet before.

Sundown, thanks for your kind words, it's lovely to get such great support. I've done a lot of research into the op as it's such a huge commitment and I want to have the best chance if I'm to use the surgery properly. I know it's not an easy option and that it'll only work as well as I work with it so I'm trying to get a head start as I've got a long waiting time until I have the op.

Good luck all xx

looks like your doing an amazing job on your own despite your difficulties you should be very proud of yourself

Purple mel I have 3 children and I foster, often teenagers. I feel for you and know how hard they can be. Be there for her, try and guide her and keep your fingers crossed xxx

Good luck with it all hun hope things go smoothly for you xx

If you're managing to lose weight with all that stress in your life then it just goes to show how committed to it you are purpleme :)

I wouldn't worry too much about losing too much weight. I think the key they want to see is that you can make life changes, but they know that without surgery your chances of keeping off the weight you've lost are slim.

Purple mel I have 3 children and I foster, often teenagers. I feel for you and know how hard they can be. Be there for her, try and guide her and keep your fingers crossed xxx

Hi hun, sorry for the late reply, my head is in the shed at the moment with all that's going on! Not been able to sleep at all so I've been to the doctor this morning and he's given me some tablets as a last resort but they're also a muscle relaxant so hopefully they'll work on the sciatica which is driving me crazy!

I've given her a bit of space over the weekend but I caved in last night and just text to say hello but once again I've not heard from her so I really don't know what to do anymore to help her xx

Back