• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ghrelin levels

wannabeminime

Found this article today about fasting, dementia and hormones. This bit worried me slightly;

According to an article that will be appearing in the leading science journal Nature Neuroscience next month, calorie restriction can protect the cells from damage and make them more resistant to stress.
‘Part of this effect is due to what cutting calories does to appetite hormones such as ghrelin and leptin,’ he explains. ‘When you are not overweight, these hormones encourage growth of new brain cells, especially in the hippocampus.’

This is the area of the brain which is involved in laying down memories. If you start putting on weight, levels of ghrelin drop and brain cell replacement slows. ‘The effect is particularly damaging in your 40s and 50s, for reasons that aren’t clear yet,’ he says. ‘Obesity at that age is a marker for cognitive problems later.’

Read more: Can fasting for two days each week stop dementia? It sounds far-fetched, but scientists think slashing calories may combat a host of illnesses | Mail Online

So, if you start putting on weight (or have the ghrelin producing part of the stomach removed so you produce a lot less), levels of ghrelin drop and brain cell replacement slows, will us WLS peeps end up with dementia??:confused::eek::(

What was the sample size on the research? and do you know what kind of trial it was ? I would never change my behaviour or worry after reading just one article - you can find a paper on "Believing in Santa makes you sterile" if you look hard enough - I would have thought the zinc supplement would counteract out any reduced increase in dementia - and if you look, I am sure you will find obesity itself will increase your risk of dementia in some studies - Always read research with great caution I say! Especially if it's in the Daily Mail LOL !
xx

I appreciate that its just the daily mail, but still thought it was interesting, especially combined with the Horizon programme the other night about obesity and hormones.

There is actually loads on the web about ghrelin and it effects. eg

What Does Ghrelin Do?

I am just slightly concerned about the removal of the organ that produces it, when it has some important jobs to do!!

Ghrelin is not just secreted in the stomach, it is also found in the cells of the pancreas. If all ghrelin was to be removed you would never ever feel hungry again. I still feel hunger and weighed up against not having surgery it was a no brainer for me.
Interesting read though.

Kim

OMG i def won't sleep tonite!!
i am due to have sleeve op on 03rd may and i am already forgetful n have dizzy/dippy days as it is. i don't wanna be thin and then not realise i am ha ha.
seriously though this i find this all very worrying xx

You have enough Ghrelin in the portion of stomach that is used and also the redundant stomach still makes it,that is what I was told.

OMG i def won't sleep tonite!!
i am due to have sleeve op on 03rd may and i am already forgetful n have dizzy/dippy days as it is. i don't wanna be thin and then not realise i am ha ha.
seriously though this i find this all very worrying xx

Sorry didnt mean to worry anyone. Its also produced in the hypothalamus, kidney, pituitary, pancreas, placenta, as well as the intestines. So not just the stomach!

I agree that is a bit worrying but glad to hear it is still produced elsewhere. However, you will have less post-op so I think I might get the encyclopedia out and swot up anyway - since I might only have a few weeks left before my brain cells go into decline x

newcy said:
I agree that is a bit worrying but glad to hear it is still produced elsewhere. However, you will have less post-op so I think I might get the encyclopedia out and swot up anyway - since I might only have a few weeks left before my brain cells go into decline x

Lol!!!! The pre op shutdown my brain cells lol

I better keep taking my omega and fish oils and get some zinc. My brain cells are not what they were already lol

If I get it I will see it as an added bonus to my bypass - I hope to forget I was ever fat and miserable ! Good discussion point and makes us all a little more aware of the magic behind the machine that is "out body" ! nite nite xx

Back