• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Might be of interest to Type 2 Diabetics - Daily Mail today

Caroline101061

The once-a-day diabetes jab that fights obesity

By Daniel Martin
Last updated at 1:07 AM on 07th July 2009

Scientists have developed a revolutionary once-a-day injection that both controls the symptoms of diabetes and helps fight obesity.
European regulators gave the drug the go-ahead yesterday, and it is expected that the jab will soon be available free on the NHS.

Experts say that the injection, called Victoza, could help prevent thousands of type 2 diabetes sufferers having to take insulin - which can cause weight gain.

article-0-00560CC800000258-366_468x286.jpg
Victory for Victoza? A new diabetes jab could help fight obesity caused by insulin intake

Trials have also shown the jab can help people lose weight by intensifying the 'full' feeling they have, and by reducing the speed at which their stomach empties.

Another benefit is that it lowers blood pressure, which is a factor in heart disease. The jab needs to be used just once a day because it stimulates the release of insulin only when blood sugar levels become too high.

David Haslam, clinical director of the National Obesity Forum, said: 'The fact this is an injection should not put anyone off.

'As well as reducing blood sugar levels, it also reduces weight - which is extraordinarily good news.

'It will help in the fight against diabetes, and could also help sufferers to stay off insulin.

'It's an important new treatment and I am extremely optimistic about its role for type 2 diabetes. It could herald a new age in diabetes treatment.'

'I have no doubt that this will be widely used on the NHS because they will be forced to offer it.'

Type 2 diabetes is linked to poor exercise and diet. Many of the 2million Britons with type 2 are overweight or obese - and an estimated 500,000 more have the disease but do not know it.

Rates of obesity are forecast to soar over the coming decades and those affected are at higher risk of heart disease, stroke and certain types of cancer.
Ministers warn that the 'obesity timebomb' could bankrupt the NHS. Even without the threat of obesity, diabetes is dangerous because it can lead to long-term illnesses such as blindness and kidney failure.

Victoza, also called liraglutide, can be taken any time of day.

Cathy Moulton, care advisor at Diabetes UK, said: 'Liraglutide widens the choice of treatments for people with Type 2 diabetes that not only offer improved blood glucose control but also aid weight loss.

'In addition, research has shown that this treatment has a positive effect on blood pressure levels.

'Diabetes UK welcomes safe and effective treatments that give people with diabetes choice in how to best manage their condition.

'Good diabetes management reduces the risk of developing serious complications including heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and amputation.'

Anthony Barnett, clinical director of diabetes and endocrinology at the Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust in Birmingham, said: 'With Victoza, patients with Type 2 diabetes can be confident they are controlling their blood sugar, and may benefit from weight loss.

'This is an important advance for patients with type 2 diabetes, many of whom are already overweight'

I'm wondering if that is the new drug my Gp is talking about starting me on.

When I last saw her she said Metformin was working on its own and would need to take someting else. I said I have researched some of the medication and they can make you put on weight. I didn't want anything that could stand in the way of having wls.

Gp said a diabetes expert was coming into the gp surgery on 15th July to review some of the cases and she would ask him about this new drug.

Has anyone been able to find out any more information about this new treatment yet? I have type 2 diabetes and currently taking 2000mg Metformin daily so would be very interested in this, especially if it promotes weight loss! :D

Has anyone been able to find out any more information about this new treatment yet? I have type 2 diabetes and currently taking 2000mg Metformin daily so would be very interested in this, especially if it promotes weight loss! :D

I was meant to find out more on the 15th July, but due to the Swine Flu the diabetes expert visit was cancelled. I now have an appointment next week to see the diabetic nurse. I'm currently on 2000mg of Metformin, but have been told it is not enough to contol my diabetes.

hi i am currently on 2000 mg of metformin a day and this new drug would be a god send if it is only required once a day i shall certainly be asking my doc for it next time i see him
regards Steve

I was meant to find out more on the 15th July, but due to the Swine Flu the diabetes expert visit was cancelled. I now have an appointment next week to see the diabetic nurse. I'm currently on 2000mg of Metformin, but have been told it is not enough to contol my diabetes.

I can't remember when I last had my bloods done so I should really make an appointment for check-up and ask about this new treatment then.

hi i am currently on 2000 mg of metformin a day and this new drug would be a god send if it is only required once a day i shall certainly be asking my doc for it next time i see him
regards Steve

I'm not sure on all the details, but I was told it was for Type2's who's diabetes wasn't being control properly by tablets alone.
But still it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'll be starting Victoza on the 12 of August.

They were going to start me on another one and explained all the side-affects and having to inject twice a day.

I asked about Vicoza and was told side-affect are a lot less and you only inject once a day. It also helps with weight loss. So I said I'll have that one please.

luckily i'm on tablets for my diabetes, 1500 of metformin. can't wait till i have my op and lose my diabetes, i am terrible for remembering to take my medications grrrrr....

Who said they couldn't stand injecting theirselves daily???? We have a month of injections after our surgery. Am hoping its fairly easy to do. I don't mind needles but never had to stick on in myself yet lol.. If i cant do it i'll walk down the dr's and get the nurse to do it (i hope lol).

I'm starting it today, I' off to see the nurse at 2pm and she'll show me how to use the medication. I'm looking forward to it helping with weight loss.

The picture above is off putting, but the injection come in a pen form so don't be put off if it is prescribe to you.

Good luck with the app.

I am currently on 2550mg of Metformin and 170 units of insulin spread over 4 injections a day.

It sounds like I may not be suitable for the new drug if I am already on insulin. Does anyone have any info on that?

One of the goals post-op is to stop all injections, so I think I won't cancel my op just yet...:D

The once-a-day diabetes jab that fights obesity

have sent this to my sister, she's starting a PhD in Biological Sciences, and will be investigating diabetes as part of her doctorate, thanks

Good luck with the app.

I am currently on 2550mg of Metformin and 170 units of insulin spread over 4 injections a day.

It sounds like I may not be suitable for the new drug if I am already on insulin. Does anyone have any info on that?

One of the goals post-op is to stop all injections, so I think I won't cancel my op just yet...:D

I'm not sure if or how it would work if you are already on insulin. It may be worth asking about it if your interested.

Though some dr and nurses are not totally up on it because its new.

I went in to Boots with the prescription and the pharmacist gave me all the wrong info. Telling me it was insulin and once I started I'd never be off it.

I had done some research on Victoza so ignored him and waited till I saw the nurse who had the correct info.

I'm not sure if or how it would work if you are already on insulin. It may be worth asking about it if your interested.

I have an appointment with my diabetic nurse next month so I will ask her then.

I suspect that since being on my pre pre-op diet my BS readings have improved considerably they would be reluctant to change my meds so close to the op. Will be interesting to find out though.

I have an appointment with my diabetic nurse next month so I will ask her then.

I suspect that since being on my pre pre-op diet my BS readings have improved considerably they would be reluctant to change my meds so close to the op. Will be interesting to find out though.

Didn't realise you were on pre-op diet.

Diabetic nurse thinks I may need to come off it when I do the pre-op diet, but will to talk to the bariatric nurse about it first.

I only started taking Victoza on Thursday. I've only noticed a slight difference in BS levels, but that maybe because I'm keeping a closer eye (diary) on it now.

Yes saw this in the paper Caroline, however Iam diet controlled and my levels are dropping slightly every few months so am pleased about that However it will make alot of difference to alot of people I am sure
Thanks for sharing

Jay xx

My GP said I would need to be referred to the hospital to be prescribed Victoza. The likelihood is that as I'm waiting for Bariatric surgery they probably wouldn't agree to it (it's very expensive!) as the surgery itself would eliminate the need to use it.

I guess it depends how long I need to wait for surgery, but we've agreed to wait and try a higher dose of Metformin for now (my A1C levels rose this month) as that also helps to control weight.

Back