• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Might be of interest to Type 2 Diabetics - Daily Mail today

My GP said I would need to be referred to the hospital to be prescribed Victoza. The likelihood is that as I'm waiting for Bariatric surgery they probably wouldn't agree to it (it's very expensive!) as the surgery itself would eliminate the need to use it.

I guess it depends how long I need to wait for surgery, but we've agreed to wait and try a higher dose of Metformin for now (my A1C levels rose this month) as that also helps to control weight.

Hi Twiggie,

Victoza first suggested by my gp and after discussions with the diabetes nurse she asked my gp to write the prescription.

I'm waiting for a bypass and the bariatric nurse know's I'm on Victosa, she said I am not the only one on it.

Metfromin alone wasn't working for me. I still take it along with the Victoza. Another tablet was suggested to me but when I research it one of the side-affects was weight gain.

The drug sounds very promising..but I wonder if PCT's will use this as an alternative to WLS.

(((hugs)))

I hope not.

Victoza is said to help with weight loss. I've only been on the lowest dose since last Thursday, so to early to notice. But I don't think it will help me shift 10st LOL.

Hi Twiggie,

Victoza first suggested by my gp and after discussions with the diabetes nurse she asked my gp to write the prescription.

I'm waiting for a bypass and the bariatric nurse know's I'm on Victosa, she said I am not the only one on it.

Metfromin alone wasn't working for me. I still take it along with the Victoza. Another tablet was suggested to me but when I research it one of the side-affects was weight gain.

That's interesting! My GP hadn't actually heard of Victoza so I had to give him the active ingredient name of liraglutide and he then recognised it as a family of new drugs on the market to treat diabetes. I forget which one he mentioned now, maybe Xanatide?

I don't know whether that one also needs a referral to be prescribed so wondering whether he's got them mixed up! :confused:

I'm wondering whether it's worth my while doing some research of my own and going back to see him with the info I find. Some docs get snotty about things like that though lol

That's interesting! My GP hadn't actually heard of Victoza so I had to give him the active ingredient name of liraglutide and he then recognised it as a family of new drugs on the market to treat diabetes. I forget which one he mentioned now, maybe Xanatide?

I don't know whether that one also needs a referral to be prescribed so wondering whether he's got them mixed up! :confused:

I'm wondering whether it's worth my while doing some research of my own and going back to see him with the info I find. Some docs get snotty about things like that though lol

I think its only been around since the end of July. Because it is new some dr are not very up on it. Even the diabetic nurse had to go away and do some research on it.

I read on a diabetic website many are getting Victosa on prescription from their dr.

I hope not.

Victoza is said to help with weight loss. I've only been on the lowest dose since last Thursday, so to early to notice. But I don't think it will help me shift 10st LOL.
I don't think it will replace WLS because the weight loss aspect of this type of drugs is good but limited.

My lovely Endocrinologist at Kings (who is lovely because he was the one who signed me through for WLS after our first meeting) discussed putting me on Exenatide instead of WLS but discounted it straight away because "I would expect a weight difference of between 10 to 12kg by changing [her drug] regime. However, this would give her significant health benefits but probably would not really affect her mobility to a great extent" (I like getting copied into the letters sent to my GP;))

I am so big that, whilst 10-12 kg loss (about 2 stones) would be fantastic it would still only be a drop in my very fat ocean :(.

He doesn't like my current drug regime one little bit and last month we talked again about putting me on one of these new drugs as an interim measure before surgery but we decided not to because the effect of changing would probably affect my diabetes control in the short term and would not resolve itself before my probable surgery date.

So, a very useful new tool for us Type 2-ers but not a magic bullet that will replace all other options.

love

TillyBob

I don't think it will replace WLS because the weight loss aspect of this type of drugs is good but limited.

My lovely Endocrinologist at Kings (who is lovely because he was the one who signed me through for WLS after our first meeting) discussed putting me on Exenatide instead of WLS but discounted it straight away because "I would expect a weight difference of between 10 to 12kg by changing [her drug] regime. However, this would give her significant health benefits but probably would not really affect her mobility to a great extent" (I like getting copied into the letters sent to my GP;))

I am so big that, whilst 10-12 kg loss (about 2 stones) would be fantastic it would still only be a drop in the ocean.

He doesn't like my current drug regime one little bit and last month we talked again about putting me on one of these new drugs as an interim measure before surgery but we decided not to because the effect of changing would probably affect my diabetes control in the short term and would not resolve itself before my probable surgery date.

So, a very useful new tool for us Type 2-ers but not a magic bullet that will replace all other options.

love

TillyBob

For me I welcomed Victoza because of my diabetes. The other option was a tablet that would make me put on weight. Not good when your waiting for wls and been told to lose 7kg before they will do the op. The fact I may drop a few pounds or so while on Victoza is a bonus.

For me I welcomed Victoza because of my diabetes. The other option was a tablet that would make me put on weight. Not good when your waiting for wls and been told to lose 7kg before they will do the op. The fact I may drop a few pounds or so while on Victoza is a bonus.
Exactly and I think he would have put me on it in the short term except that I have now seen the surgeon and she is talking about a likely date for surgery in some 4-5 months which would be just before or just after Xmas :eek:. (Won't believe it until I actually get an appointment letter though :()

Desperate to lose a few pounds in the next few months though so it's the Slimfast for me I think :rolleyes: (To my shame I actually put weight on between my first appointment and my second - the nurse at the clinic asked me if I had actually been to the toilet at all since my last appointment :cry:)

Hope your new meds work - keep us informed. (I am one of the few people left in the UK who is on Rosiglitozone (sp) after last year's big health scare so they are working hard on my fluid retention at the moment - Rosie has got bad form for making you retain lots of water which is why you put on weight with it - there are apparently only about 200 of us left taking it in the UK which is an exclusive club I can't wait to leave)

love

TillyBob

Just coming up to the end of my 3rd week on Victoza. I only had one of the side-affect (frequent flyer to the loo) in the first week to ten days, but that is fine now.

My sugar level are consistanly into single figures :). They have not been below 10 in a long time.

The weight is coming off slowly. Not sure if that is down to Victoza though, but I'm happy :).

Just coming up to the end of my 3rd week on Victoza. I only had one of the side-affect (frequent flyer to the loo) in the first week to ten days, but that is fine now.

My sugar level are consistantly into single figures :). They have not been below 10 in a long time.

The weight is coming off slowly. Not sure if that is down to Victoza though, but I'm happy :).
That sounds really good :D

I would imagine that your regular visits to the smallest room comes from a loss of excess fluid in your body - which doesn't sound that serious a side-effect of medication but can be really serious (eg lung and heart congestion and high BP to say the least) so if that is stablising that is really good I think.

My excess fluid seems to be a bit more under control. My BP was actually in the "normal" range when I went to the GP last week:eek: My fingers are less swollen and I can wear my wedding ring again :D And my leg ulcers/pitted odeama on my leg is not weeping and painful anymore and it doesn't "pit" when you press it now :D (still looks as ugly as sin though :()

I am sooooo pleased :D:D:D:D:D and you must be too!

love

TillyBob

Hi All,

Victoza have worked wonders on bringing down my sugar levels.

I'll be on it for just over a week more then I will be stopping as I start the pre-op diet.

Back