• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Glad that's over with

beepbeepcat

What a blinking nightmare of an afternoon!
Seeing dietitians, nurse and the man who puts you to sleep controlling pain relief ect.
I was unsure if it was a fasting appointment so hadn't eaten since the previous night.......
Arrived early to pre op at 12 as worried about traffic, they were running late due to ops. Saw nurse first done, ecg, swab up nose and groin, blood pressure, spoke about various things then moved on to bloods. However couldn't get it so said she would take me to chemotherapy ward after other appointments to get it done as they deal with difficult veins so it was going to be a pain. Now I'm needle phobic and I have very difficult veins due to the size I am. So after that I saw the dietitian a hour and half late which was fairly simple to understand given lots of sheets of info so could look through. I then saw the drugs man 3 hours late due to other people going in early for some reason. Now I was impressed how thorough he was doing various tests that took just about 45 mins. I then was marched quickly up to bloods bit and waited about 20mins.....what a nightmare another failed attempt in left hand then I started to feel unwell dizzy and clammy she then found a good vein just by a right knuckle (painful). Then she said "oh it's gushing now" to which I went very odd and white nearly passing out. The nurse then come in who saw me before and firmly told me to stay sat down and she would get me a juice and biscuit. It took me about 10 mins to come out of it and feel ok. I then left 3 mins before 6pm so it took about six hours for my pre op having a 40-50 mph drive home in awful heavy rain. I was glad to be home and tell my hubby all about it. :)

Wow what a tough day for you! Hope your feeling a little better now your home and dry

Oh wow that's such a long day! I feel your pain with the blood and needle thing; they never get anything out of me. I've had to sit with my hand in a jug of hot water for half an hour before a blood test before now!

At least it's all done now :)

Oh no beepbeepcat,

that sounds like a terrible ordeal. It makes the pre op at Worcester sound like a breeze.

I only had to see a pre op nurse going through a questionnaire and then obs, ECG and bloods. I was in and out in an hour although it wasn't busy.

At least you know they're being thorough. It's all done now though.

:)

Back