• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Glasgow, should I ask?

ejappy84

Hi everyone,

I'm based in Glasgow and have previously been referred to the weight management program, which I waited about 6 months to get an appointment for. When I got there, I advised them that I'd stopped smoking for about a month. They told me that I would have to have stopped for at least a year, otherwise the two would conflict and I probably wouldn't be able to stick to both.

I'm currently 5ft 5 and weigh around 16st. My BMI (as calculated on the internet) as 37.5. I know NHS guidlines state that you should have a BMI of 40 or over, but does anyone know if I would be able to ask my GP for a referral for a gastric band?

I've been overweight all my life, since about the age of 3 or 4. I've joined groups like Scottish Slimmers, Fitness First, Glasgow Gyms and more recently Curves. I did lose a little weight with Scottish Slimmers but I couldn't stick to it and ended up leaving, and although Curves is just down the road from me, the past two weeks I've not gone at all. I have no motivation to do anything apart from go to work, and that's because I absolutely have to.

Has anyone been referred for a gastric band in Glasgow, and if so what was your BMI? I'm dreading spending the rest of my life at this weight, and really need some help, hence the reason I was going to ask my GP about a band.

Elaine

Hi Elaine
I'M just outside Glasgow. Firstly welcome to the site its full of helpful and very supportive people who have a wealth of experience between them. Your story is similar to many of us who have tried and tested nearly every diet going and the exercise route only to fail time and time again.There are a few of us Scots on here, in fact we had our first meet yesterday. Most of us have had private bypass ops in Manchester but Lostinmy30's (Vikki) has had a band done on the nhs at Gartnavel hospital with Mr David Galloway. She will be able to give you all the info on the nhs route in Glasgow. Hopefully she will be along soon. Meanwhile its lovely to have you here and please keep asking questions as thats how we all progress on our wls journey. Good luck x

Back