• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleep apnea

gingernutter

Good news. I had my appointment today for sleep apnea and I do not have it. I am very pleased. I know this would have helped me with finding my funding but it is better to be without another health problem to deal with. My sleep problems are down to my wieght. If I lose wieght that will help me sleep better.

I will be seeing the doctor to talk about my application for my funding. I have already seen the consultant who has recommended me for the surgery but I need to ask the PCT for the funding. Any ideas that might help?

hi hun good news about not having the sleep apnea, thats awful as my mamhad it but glad u dont good luck in getting funding, i went private so i dont know about it but many will ok take care xxx

Hiya Hun, i have been recommended for investigations into sleep apnea, what does it involve, do you have to stay over night somewhere? it stressing me out thinking about it. i know i dont have it, my sleep is interupted due to the medication i am taking but they wont listen to me!! anyway thanks and apeak soon h -x-

great news that you don't have the sleep apnea. good luck with your funding application keep us posted x

Hiya Hun, i have been recommended for investigations into sleep apnea, what does it involve, do you have to stay over night somewhere? it stressing me out thinking about it. i know i dont have it, my sleep is interupted due to the medication i am taking but they wont listen to me!! anyway thanks and apeak soon h -x-

I had the test last week, had to go to hope hospital to collect the stuff, they show you how to "wear" it and send you home you sleep in it that night and return it early the next morning. You get a little machine that you strap around just under your bust with the machine sat more or less in between your boobs, you have a pulse monitor for your finger with a little glove to make sure it stays on through the night and finally there is a plastic tube that loops around your ears and just sits up your nose (you cant feel it) and thats it. Put it on when you go to bed, press a little button and go to sleep. If you get up for the loo just carry on is if it is not there, when you get up at your normal time switch it off and return it. Hope this helps...Linda x

Linda ,You sure there wasnt a camera attatched lol.

Mine was so different, i had a pulse monitor on my finger and something a little larger than a watch that sat on the top of my wrist attatched by velcro around my wrist and that was it.:).

xxx

Last edited:
I had the same as linda at hope and iy was deffinatly for sleep apnea. surprisingly very comfortable and slept really well.

I am worried that i might have sleep apnea too, I sleep for around 7-8 hours most night but always feel like I haven't slept enough, I also snore alot!

Most afternoons I struggle to stay awake if I am not doing something that keeps me alert, if I sit down to watch TV I struggle to keeps my eyes open, even with a 3 year old running around and as I have to pick up my older daughter from school I panic that I will fall into a deep sleep and not pick her up!!!:eek:

I read on some other forums on here that if i wanted this to be checked out I would have to go to the hospital for a sleep study and if I am diagnosed will have touse a mask every night, I hate hospitals and the idea of having to wear a mask so i have not mentioned my concerns to a GP.

I am planning to have a LapBand put in within the next few months and figured that if I am successful at losing the weight my problem will go away.

Katie xx

Linda ,You sure there wasnt a camera attatched lol.

Mine was so different, i had a pulse monitor on my finger and something a little larger than a watch that sat on the top of my wrist attatched by velcro around my wrist and that was it.:).

xxx

One of my cats was not too impressed with it she wanted to sniff it!!!....the pulse thing lit up at night so I looked like ET......its a good job I sleep alone lol.........Linda x

I am worried that i might have sleep apnea too, I sleep for around 7-8 hours most night but always feel like I haven't slept enough, I also snore alot!

Most afternoons I struggle to stay awake if I am not doing something that keeps me alert, if I sit down to watch TV I struggle to keeps my eyes open, even with a 3 year old running around and as I have to pick up my older daughter from school I panic that I will fall into a deep sleep and not pick her up!!!:eek:

I read on some other forums on here that if i wanted this to be checked out I would have to go to the hospital for a sleep study and if I am diagnosed will have touse a mask every night, I hate hospitals and the idea of having to wear a mask so i have not mentioned my concerns to a GP.

I am planning to have a LapBand put in within the next few months and figured that if I am successful at losing the weight my problem will go away.

Katie xx

Katie you could of been writing about me apart from the 3 year old. Im glad i tested negative for sleep apnea and like you say it could just be assosiated with the excess weight or just the pace of life these days. Good luck with your banding
HC

i think depends what nhs trust you come under i had to stay in hospital for 1 night for my tests then they loaned me a cpap machine for the weekend i have just had my machine changed for a different model that adjust to meet your needs. reading through the letter from shaw summers he just wanted to make sure its calibrated properly.
problems with being diagnosed
1 the mask can be annoying at times
2. the straps keep streching
3 not nice when you have a cold have air blown up your nose
benefits from using machine
more alert than i was.
have slept worse since getting new machine but the quality of sleep has been better .
wouldnt really wory about being diagnosed with it unless you are a comercial driver implications on life are nil

i think depends what nhs trust you come under i had to stay in hospital for 1 night for my tests then they loaned me a cpap machine for the weekend i have just had my machine changed for a different model that adjust to meet your needs. reading through the letter from shaw summers he just wanted to make sure its calibrated properly.
problems with being diagnosed
1 the mask can be annoying at times
2. the straps keep streching
3 not nice when you have a cold have air blown up your nose
benefits from using machine
more alert than i was.
have slept worse since getting new machine but the quality of sleep has been better .
wouldnt really wory about being diagnosed with it unless you are a comercial driver implications on life are nil

Hi Scorpian did you have the obstructive sleep apnea? I have heard that losing weight rectifys this and there is no need for a machine. I know there are two types the one that can make your brain go to sleep for a few seconds ie when driving and this is not treated the same. I have been told by my PCT that if I have it it will help my chance of gaining funding as it will cure it....bit confused now Linda x:confused:

I didn't need to do the sleep over at the hospital. I told the doctor that my sleep problems were due to my wieght as I did lose 7 stones and my sleeping problem disappeared. When I regained the wight so did my sleep problems. He said he wished all his patients were as honest.

I was worried sleep apnea might effect my driving licence? I am not sure on that. What about car insurance?

Yes this too would help my funding.

Back