• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OT- So Annoyed

PinkyButtonz

Just spoke to my mum, she has was diagnosed as diabetic a couple of years ago and until now had controlled it by diet.

Today she went to see the Diabetic Nurse for an education lesson. My mum was told she will need to take Metformin, which she isn't happy about.

What has annoyed me is the nurse told my mum that she will more than likely need another tablet for her diabetes. She was told sooner or later will also be insulin dependant. My mum is so frighten and upset.

I know this isn't true, I just wish I had gone with her (was waiting in for delivery). I am also diabetic and take Metformin. I have always been told that the diabetes will go if I lose weight ( waiting for Bypass) and insulin is a last result if tablets don't control it.

I know many people who are no longer dependant on Metformin after losing weight.

Sorry to hear you and your mum are so upset.

I think pinky that the diabetic nurse is just telling your mum what could happen, if she doesnt take more care with her diet and weight. Is your mum having surgery for weight loss, or dieting at present. Obviously her diabetes is getting worse if she has been put on Metformin.
Maybe you could talk to her and try and explain.

Jay xx

Sorry to hear you and your mum are so upset.

I think pinky that the diabetic nurse is just telling your mum what could happen, if she doesnt take more care with her diet and weight. Is your mum having surgery for weight loss, or dieting at present. Obviously her diabetes is getting worse if she has been put on Metformin.
Maybe you could talk to her and try and explain.

Jay xx

Hi Jay,

I thought the same as you and ask her "are you sure you heard right" and she said there was no if butts or maybe's. Thats why I'm annoyed.

Like myself my mum lost a lot of weight on a VLCD few years ago. Saddley she regained it after her 4th cancer scare and having her thyroid removed. Losing my dad had a big affect on her also, though they were not together they remained good friends.

I have tried to reassure that she can turn things around if she loses weight. My mum isn't having WLS. Its been hard for her to come to terms that I'm having a Bypass.

She's at the GP now to talk to her about trying VLCD again. She's been struggling with VLCD for some time now.

unfortunatly with her diabetus a VLCD may not be possable any more. Without upsetting you futher my friend who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ended up on insulin within 8 months of being diagnosed. she has just had a bypass as even with insulin her diabetes was very out of control inspite of really watching her diet. Its still early days foe her and she is being monitored closley but at the moment still on insulin all be it a tiny amount.
remember although you both have the same condition your bodies will deal with it very differently.
hth
hc

I am sorry you are still upset pinky, though I think your mum needs to listen to the nurse as I think she is probably right, and I dont want to upset you more by saying that. I do think she could have been gentler about it and explained to her why it is likely she will end up on insulin.
Your mum has had alot of stress and trauma and that will affect her hormones differently to yours, as Carol says, and you are younger, obviously lol, and mum is more at risk because of her age and weight.
I am glad she has gone to see the GP and I hope he/she can help her understand more. I am sure she is stressed by what the nurse said, but at least she is going to try and do something about it, and good for her.
Hope all goes well Pinky xx

The Insulin usually kicks in with age, they tend to start giving it as a precaution the older you get, no offence intended. The guy at work was on Metformin but because he is approaching 60 he has had to go onto Insulin as a precaution because Diabetes in older people can cause many other issues.

Back