• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op and Diabetes - need advice please!

novamay

Born Free
Hi - quick question - have any of you with diabetes doing a low fat/low carb diet found that you're getting hypos? Have you stopped taking your meds or part of your meds?

The first few days I felt dizzy and like I was starting to hypo, so I stopped my 80mg Gliclazide med (still taking 4 metformin 500g per day) and for the next couple of days I felt fine.

I did an experiment with taking my Gliclazide again today and I am now starting to get signs of hypo - can't focus, dizzy, shaking. Did this because levels seem to be rising on a morning eg today's reading was 11.2; higher than yesterday which was 10.6; and the day before was 9.5 - so felt I should go back on it.

Would it be ok for me to stop taking the Glic while I do the pre-op - has anyone else done that?

I'm gonna ask tomorrow when I have my pre-op assessment - cos not sure if I should stop taking it or not. Forgot to bring my monitor to work so no sure what my levels are at present - but definitely going to have an early lunch.

Hi nova may. No one from the bariatric team was at my pre op yesterday. Only a general pre op nurse, I was advised to call the dietician with specific queries.
Not long to go for you now!! X

Hi Nova i was told to stop my Gliclazide for the 2 weeks pre op diet but stay on metformin but if my blood sugars went up to restart 1 tablet im only on 60mg a day.

I would check with your team tho just to be on safe side.
Good luck with your op x

I also was told only metformin I was on 4 a day too x

I was told to stop the Glic on day one, keep up the Metformin and check your blood levels across the day. You get Metformin in soluable sachet format after your surgery b/t/w. :)

PS Best have a bottle of Lucozade handy in case of hypos.

Last edited:
Back