• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Life Insurance // BY-PASS SURGERY

markelsie

I am considering having by-surgery and possible borrowing the funds to do so.Along with the actual surgery I was just concerned about getting life insurance to cover the operation and was wondering IF anyone else has had issues or can advise me here...

Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Got no words of advice re life insurance sorry but just wanted to say welcome to Mini's :)

no one would insure me before my band op they said i was to high risk

Thank-you for the "welcome" and may I say how good you look with the weight loss....so the surgery worked well for you then..

M

Thanks Mark, you may say that any time you like :D The surgery has been fantastic for me, a truly life changing experience.

I had a long wait for surgery (20 months) but that helped in some ways as I had plenty of time to research and learn as much as I could beforehand, which helped me get my head into the right place and understand the nutritional needs post op a lot better.

What better prize as well being a "mum to be"....life cant get much better I suspect.
Weight has ruled my life for to long now and I would be REALLY grateful to know how life has gone for you post op "without being nosey"..
Mark

Not a problem, thats what this site is all about! The post op has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. I've had a couple of blips along the way, but over all it's been good. I'm in control of my eating, I know what to eat to lose weight and what to eat to maintain my weight, and I know how it makes me feel when I eat badly (tired, grumpy and generally under-nourished). I rarely get hungry, even now, so food is no longer the be-all and end-all of my existence. I eat to live now, instead of living to eat like i did before. I have never felt that I've been denied of any foods, or even that I'm on any kind of restrictive diet or plan. If i want a certain type of food, like chocolate, I have it, but only in small amounts and that is enough to satisfy me.

Before the pregnancy a typical days eating for me while still losing weight would be -

Breakfast - low fat/sugar yoghurt and a protein shake
Mid morning - baby bel light or slice of cold meats
Lunch - protein based salad or bulgar wheat salad
Mid aftertoon - protein shake
Dinner - Chicken casserole/curry or roasted chicken breast with 1 small potato and veg.
Evening - milky hot chocolate (low sugar) or decaff milky coffee

I found that my tastebuds changed dramatically after the op. Processed/fatty foods taste horrid and bland, and I prefer the fresh flavours of salads and veg, which before hand I wasn't at all fussed on.

Your so right about food ruling our lives as for me where ever I go it's always a case of "wonder what food will be there"...."or I simply comfort eat on basic crap"...all of which drags you down and feeds the problem even more.I accept a lot of my condition is mind triggered and know life has so much to offer and experience so all I want is a foothold or another chance and feel this surgery option is like being at a crossroads and afterwards it will be my choice where to go...
M

just read your post and I know you are considering funding the surgery yourself. What helped me alot whilst I was waiting for the op was counseling - primarily about my unhealthy relationship with food cause lets face it, we all have it on here in some degree or another - a bypass is a tool, it helps alot but at the end of the day, you still have to change your eating habits completely. Im almost 5 weeks in now and still learning what I can and cannot eat but I do know that in time, the old habits resurface and have to be dealt with - its just a thought!

Caroline..You are so right and I suppose it's all to easy just to blame "food" for the internal and external problems and the more I read and listen to what's best for me I keep coming back to "How I use the food" and the unhealthy impact it has on me...
M

i tried to get life insurance pre-op and it asked about upcoming ops, so i had to declare it and was rejected

Back