• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going Out!!

SazzyS

Hi e1, haven't posted for a while.
I'm now 4 weeks post op and soon gonna start back on 'normal food'
My question is; me and my hubby are planning a night out soon, and I would really know if anyone has any advice on alcohol.
Obviously i know it carries a lot of calories, but i would like to have a few drinks, my pre op fav was Cider, but fizzy drinks are a no no too now.
Any ideas?

im interested in this too as my friends 40th party is on 29th august and will be 6 weeks after my band op its gonna be fancy dress and a great night and probably my first night out with all of my friends after the op is alcohol ok ,can people drink the same amount as they could pre op, obviously not a weekly thing but once in a while a good night out is needed!!xxh

I'm not sure about calories, but if I remember correctly, going by what I learned at Weight Watchers, a shot of vodka with diet coke is 1 point which was less than wine or any of the sugary bottled drinks.

Un fizzy alcohol is fine in moderation. Just go steady as you get tipsy much quicker.

I just stick to dry white wine - 2 maximum.

Enjoy your night out x

I was told to have my first drink at home as you now absorb the booze much quicker than before and you might find yourself roaring drunk very fast - maybe have a practice run! Of course fizz of any kind is forboten!

I am 8 weeks post op, and my friend brought round a bottle of rose on Friday. I poured myself half a glass....2 sips later it had gone straight to my head and I was very merry! I will give drinking a miss for another few months me thinks! hehe...its hard as I only like cider...wine was bad enough before hand! lol xx

I went out or a lovely italian meal on Saturday and I drank 2 bottles (yes bottles) plus cocktails (I can and have always been able to drink) and was fine. If you eat slider food when out then you can eat more so therefore you won't be drinking on an empty stomach.

I know we are not suposed to be eating slider foods but every once in a while won't harm us.

I was 4 weeks post op on Saturday. I had lasagne as a main meal and ate it all. Remember band is different to bypass because you still have the same size stomach as you did before the Op so if things slide through the band and then you drink it will be no different to before if you get what I meen.

There's a very in depth thread on here somewhere with loads of info about why booze isn't a good idea ~ not that I can remember any of it now~ but what I took away was that drinking was not a good idea.

I asked my Bareatric team inc my Surgeon was alcohol ok and when could I have a drink and they said as soon as you are of medication then it is fine just be wary of the calorie intake.

I go out about 4 x a year so I am not worried about what I have to eat and drink when I do go as its not very often.

Enjoy, life is to short.

My question is; me and my hubby are planning a night out soon, and I would really know if anyone has any advice on alcohol.
Obviously i know it carries a lot of calories, but i would like to have a few drinks, my pre op fav was Cider, but fizzy drinks are a no no too now.
Any ideas?

hi sassy alcohol will be fine for banders but i cant speak for the bypassers, its ok as long as its not gassy, vodka and still orange is my drink :p

Im a bypasser and when I go out I stick to vodka and flavoured still sugar free water (I take big bag out with me and my own drink lol)

Can anyone tell me if you can have wine with a meal, after a band.

Since we were told not to drink with food.

hi i would advise against any type of drink with a meal as 2 things can happen when banded, 1 it can push the food through allowing more to be consumed which means more calories are eaten and defeats the object of the band or 2. the food will sit in the pouch and the liquids has no where to go and it will back up in your chest causing you to vomit. this is why the guideline is no liquids 30 mins before or after a meal.

Liz which of the 2 happens to you? I must have flushed mine through on Saturday as I drank wine with my meal but have to say usually I don't eat and drink at the same time.

Liz which of the 2 happens to you? I must have flushed mine through on Saturday as I drank wine with my meal but have to say usually I don't eat and drink at the same time.

it all depends on the restriction you have at the time, on the occasion i have done this the fluid has no path way past the food and i vomit with in a minute as it has no where to go and it gives me the most awfull pain, you will experience this the tighter the band gets. so now i dont drink with meals as each way its not good as you either consume more calories or vomit.

I'm the same, I can't drink with or after a meal. Sick immediately. Learnt to think beforehand now and have a small drink before meal. Cheap date now. lol

I am 6 months post op bypasser and although I havent been out for meals or a night out on the pop often, I generally cant do alcohol and food at the same time. Whilst I'm not proud of this, pre op I could drink any bloke under the table. Now, two slowly sipped glasses of wine has me feeling flushed and I feel like I've had the bottle. I've avoided lager although I do like it, because I've been worried its too gassy, however, last night I had bottles of Bud and Perroni and I had 7 altogether between 8pm - 1am on a night out, and they were consumed slowly. Previously I would have gone through double that no problem :eek:
Didn't feel hammered and just felt mellow and enjoyed myself. I must admit it was nice to do something a bit more like how life was although its certainnly not something I will be doing on a regular basis.

Any ideas?

Hi there Sazzy

I have not had any surgery as yet but I was hoping that I could have the odd glass of red wine afterwards.

But to quote my surgeon again...He said alcohol is not a good idea as it's loaded with calories and it can have adverse effects...however i have seen some of the folks here who do take the odd tipple now and again with no ill effect.

Personally, I would do what my surgeon and his team recommends as would hate to jeopardise his hard work and my hard work too...(But that's just my take on it)

All the best

(((hugs)))

Back