• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going the L&D route

chris2710

Hi, I'm Chris(tine), went to L&D yesterday for my first appointment, was meant to be seeing the nurse and consultant, but appointment with nurse was cancelled, due to sickness, so consultant combined the two together the best he could. Very happy to say it looks like I should be getting a bypass, I was quoted 6-7 months. One thing I would like to say is that if any of you were in the waiting area 1.30 - 3.30, can I say how friendly everyone seemed, I was feeling shy and unsure when I went in but left there feeling with a sense of sharing and belonging.:)

people come from all over the south to go there for their ops..............did you enjoy the reading material there :D:D:D

and from the East coast lol

..............did you enjoy the reading material there :D:D:D
I'll admit to taking my own book after reading comments on this board, but I'm afraid I wasn't taking much in as I read, I was too busy earwigging to the conversations taking place, and even joined in once I felt confident enough

Daftmoo, I've noticed you're from Clacton, I'm just down the coast, Brightlingsea!!! Doesn't it take a long time to get to Luton, it was 2½ hours each way, and there weren't even any major holdups, just a bit of 50mph at various points. Measured it at a 200 mile roundtrip.

How long did you have to wait for surgery?

Hey someone near me, feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them. And if you ever wanna meet up for a chat just say.

It sure is a nightmare journey I hate it with a passion. My 1st appointment was September 2009 and surgery June 2010. I was delayed for 6 weeks because of depression before the let me start the 5% milk only diet.

I just missed you yesterday, my appointment was 11.30 but didn't get seen till 12 and left about 12.30 you will be well looked after at the L&D

Thanks for the replies.
Daftmoo, I would love to meet up in the future, I've so many questions, my head is buzzing.
Consultant mentioned that dietician would ask me to go on milk diet to prove commitment, I thought this only happened when you were due for surgery, do you have to do this twice then?
Another thing he did give me a brief description of future appointments, but I was in a bit of a daze and didn't really take it in, can someone recap for me please?

Chris, you have to do a milk only diet to lose 5% of your body weight in a month. If you dont manage to do it they give you another 2-4 weeks if you dont manage it they sign you off as it means you're not commited. They you have to do the milk only 2 weeks pre op to shrink your liver.
There will be shrink appointments, dietican appointments prior to starting the 5% and a month after to make sure you've done it. When you've done it you get an appointment to see the surgeon who will let you know what op, sign the constent form and give you a date.

travelling

just remember to give yourself extra time to get to the hospital as the council have warned motorists/airport users about the road works going on the motorway ;)

Back