• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Under Luton and Dunstable Hospital

Vanjazzle

Hi Guys
I Started my journey August 2017 I've had countless appointments done the 4 weeks starvation seen the Nurses and the Dietian's now I am awaiting my MDT Appointment not sure what that is for and I'm also terrified as at the last appointment they have only just hinted at maybe not getting funding from the CCG not just particularly me but in general.

I am praying that I get funding does anyone know of L&D Luton based patients not being funded my BMI was 48.7 at the start with Diabetes (what spurred me to getting on this journey) my BMI is now 45.4 I've never gained for any appointment only lost or stayed the same.

I've been told I possibly won't get the MDT appointment until Nov/Dec I suppose I'm just after some reassurance and support right now.

Thanks for listening

Hi and welcome, we are all happy to offer advice and support to each other, I had my bypass at Luton and Dunstable on April 5th, my journey took 22 months from 1st appointment to surgery due to a lower BMI meaning a year assessment, your will be 6 months. The MDT is a 3 hour appointment with a group of other wls candidates you can take someone with you, I actually found it quite interesting, I had done lots of research so already knew a lot but there is always more to learn, time does go by really quickly, I’ve never heard of anyone not getting funding, try not to worry.
Best advice I can give is to research research research absolutely all you possibly can to prepare yourself for life after wls, protein is the most important macro you can have post surgery and remember that your pouch/sleeve is only a tool and it’s up to us to work with our tool....forever, it’s a huge lifetime commitment but ultimately the best thing I ever done for myself, I too had diabetes which has now gone ! In fact my HbA1c is now too low !
Good luck to you, keep in touch xx

Hi Guys
I Started my journey August 2017 I've had countless appointments done the 4 weeks starvation seen the Nurses and the Dietian's now I am awaiting my MDT Appointment not sure what that is for and I'm also terrified as at the last appointment they have only just hinted at maybe not getting funding from the CCG not just particularly me but in general.

I am praying that I get funding does anyone know of L&D Luton based patients not being funded my BMI was 48.7 at the start with Diabetes (what spurred me to getting on this journey) my BMI is now 45.4 I've never gained for any appointment only lost or stayed the same.

I've been told I possibly won't get the MDT appointment until Nov/Dec I suppose I'm just after some reassurance and support right now.

Thanks for listening
Hi and welcome, I too am under L&D hospital. I had my last appointment last Friday, where I too was told even if the MDT agree for me to have surgery, when it goes to funding they could say no, but he said he was just preparing me for the worse case scenario, he said if they do say no, they most likely would say try again in 6 months time. I've been on a tier 3, 6 months program that will end at my next appointment in October, then wait for MDT, then funding. You have to jump through many hoops before you get surgery, it's just the way it is, but worth it in the end. x

Hello!

I went through the process at L&D, the team there is excellent.

Echo what's been said already, lots of reading and research are your friends. It's mentally tough after surgery but absolutely worth it.

Protein and sipping lots of water are the keys to success!

Hi and welcome. I am also under Luton hospital and it will be a year since my surgery on 19 September. It took me 17 months from seeing my GP to having surgery and my BMI was 51. This is the very best thing I have ever done. I do believe the waiting times are longer now however but hang on in there and as Bling says research as much as you can. We are all here to support each other xxxx

Hi and welcome Hun :) x

Hi and welcome, we are all happy to offer advice and support to each other, I had my bypass at Luton and Dunstable on April 5th, my journey took 22 months from 1st appointment to surgery due to a lower BMI meaning a year assessment, your will be 6 months. The MDT is a 3 hour appointment with a group of other wls candidates you can take someone with you, I actually found it quite interesting, I had done lots of research so already knew a lot but there is always more to learn, time does go by really quickly, I’ve never heard of anyone not getting funding, try not to worry.
Best advice I can give is to research research research absolutely all you possibly can to prepare yourself for life after wls, protein is the most important macro you can have post surgery and remember that your pouch/sleeve is only a tool and it’s up to us to work with our tool....forever, it’s a huge lifetime commitment but ultimately the best thing I ever done for myself, I too had diabetes which has now gone ! In fact my HbA1c is now too low !
Good luck to you, keep in touch xx
I should have added the MDT is an hour with each: the bariatric nurse, the psychologist and the dietician xx

I've been attending tier 3 for a year too but I believe the length of time between appointments is getting longer due to sheer numbers of people who are attending the L&D my fingers are crossed :eek:) thanks for the reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello i havnt got a clue on waiting times at l and d im at stoke on trent i had my funding and everything approved in feb and got put on surgeons list in june but its 10/12 mnth waiting here so early next year fingers crossed for me but l and d are slightly quicker good luck welcome to the waiting game

Back