• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gonna go for it!

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
Hi all. :wavey: Well anyone who has read my posts on here before knows I have been umming and ahhing re wls. My last consultation was in Dec 2008 with Wendy from wlsg. I have managed to keep off 2st 1lb this year and am currently judddding but am concerned about long term.

I am gonna ring wlsg later and ask where I stand atm, I don't think I would need another consultation but I am unsure. Also need to ask about pre-op tests etc.

Here's to the future!:D

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,
Well done on maintaining your 2 stone loss & also on making the decision - I have also been investigating WLS - also had 2 consultations -
it's soooo difficult to make the final decision - some days its "yes" I've got my head round it etc., & other days it's back to confusion

Like you after months of indecision I'm pretty sure(!) that it's the only way forward

Congratulations on keeping the weight off, that's the hardest bit! It took me two years before I finally decided wls was the right step for me, but now I KNOW it is the pefect decision. :D

Best of luck to you,
Cuppa xx

Hi Lyn,
Well done on maintaining your 2 stone loss & also on making the decision - I have also been investigating WLS - also had 2 consultations -
it's soooo difficult to make the final decision - some days its "yes" I've got my head round it etc., & other days it's back to confusion

Like you after months of indecision I'm pretty sure(!) that it's the only way forward

Hiya. lol good to know I am not the only one. Such a big decision though isnt it? it'll be the best one for both of us I am sure.;) Which wls are you wanting?

Massive well done on keeping the 2 stone off! I know how difficult it can be to make that last push of "lets go for it"...... but once you do, it really is so worth it :) best of luck with the rest of your journey xxx

It is such a huge decision, isn't it? It took two years of research to come to my decision. It has to be right for you and it also has to come at the right time. The support that you will find on here is fantastic.

well done you for keeping that 2st off :D

WLS is a big decision, I just regret I didnt go for it sooner, wouldnt change it for the world now as I know Im on my way to a healthier life.
You can only do it when YOU know you want it, there has to be no 'buts' and 'maybes' as this is life changing.

Good luck on your consultations and fingers crossed for an ealry op date if you do go ahead with it :D

Hi all. :wavey: Well anyone who has read my posts on here before knows I have been umming and ahhing re wls. My last consultation was in Dec 2008 with Wendy from wlsg. I have managed to keep off 2st 1lb this year and am currently judddding but am concerned about long term.

I am gonna ring wlsg later and ask where I stand atm, I don't think I would need another consultation but I am unsure. Also need to ask about pre-op tests etc.

Here's to the future!:D
goodluck3.gif

Hi Lyn and Poppet

I think we all go through this uncertainity stages. What if you just dont make the decision and continue as if you will be having surgery, you can ALWAYS change your mind right up to the point of laying on the operating table. Thats what I decided to do, just hopped onto the wls rollercoaster and told myslef I could jump off if I wanted at any point. And well, here we are, I never did jump off and am 6 days post op.

My journey was a v long one, if I had jumped off the roller coaster at any point and then changed my mind again I would have been back at square one, wishing I hadnt been so indecisive.

It is one of the biggest decisions you will probably have to make in your life, not all of us feel the certainity that what we are doing is right, so take the pressure of and see where the rollercoaster leads you :)

Xx

Hi Lyn, long time no see!

Huge well done on maintaining your loss of 2st. Thats fabulous.

And good luck with your WLS journey. Look forward to seeing you in the WLS more as you get closer to your op xx

so pleased you have made your decision it is not an easy one to make as many of us know but once you have decided it is like a weight lifted lol no pun intended
Well done on maintaining your weight and the best of luck with the rest of your journey

Jay xx

Wow, almost 18 mos since I posted this!

Allo folks. :wavey: OK, so I turn 30 this year (erm I mean 26!) and I am still trying different slimming clubs, diets etc for the past ten years. I'm looking up Amazon reviews on 'love your body' 'intuitive eating' books, weightloss hypnosis dvds etc and thinking of buying more when I know the ones I have don't work for me!

i'm slightly depressed about turning 30 and i'd love to have a family in the near future (with or without a man, pref with ;)) but at this weight and having pcos i wouldnt qualify for help until my bmi is 30 or under.

I notice cosmetic bliss in czech rep. are offering the bypass now. my ma would prefer me to get the band as it's less invasive but i explained it's too easy to cheat esp with the chocolate and crisps i binge on, the liquid would just slip right through. plus there can be a lot of complications with slippage, port site infection, erosion etc. plus having to get fills pretty often til you reach your 'sweet spot.':confused:

Hi Lyn

I hope you dont mind me poking my nose in here but this is a common myth that you can only eat rubbish or cheat with the band. In reality you can do that with whichever op you go for. Ok you might dump (not everyone does) with a bypass on chocolate but crisps, pastries etc will mush up and pass right on through. Having a bypass or band will not stop you wanting to eat these things, your WLS is just a tool.

Im not trying to put you off having a bypass but there are post op complications with a bypass too. Such as:

About 10-20 percent of patients undergoing stomach bypass require follow-up operations to correct complications, the most common complaints being abdominal hernias.

• More than one-third of patients who have gastric bypass surgery develop gallstones.
  • Complication rates in the early post-operative period, such as infection, dehiscence, leaks from staple breakdown, stomal stenosis, ulcers and deep thrombo-phlebitis may be as high as ten percent or more. However, the combined risk of the most serious complications (gastrointestinal leak and deep venous thrombosis) is less than one per cent.
  • Over the long term, the health complications of gastric bypass may include a variety of conditions and problems. According to one 14-year follow-up study of stomach bypass patients, the morbidity rates were as follows: vitamin B12 deficiency (39.9 percent), incisional hernia, (23.9 percent), depression (23.7 percent), staple line failure (15 percent), gastritis ( 13.2 percent), cholecystitis (11.4 percent), anastomotic problems (9.8 percent), dehydration malnutrition (5.8 percent), dilated pouch (3.2 percent).
  • The health risks of revisional surgery are higher.
I had a band almost 23 months ago and have had no complications and reached my goal. The fills are nothing more than an injection and the good thing about them is you can keep getting adjusted long term to maintain or increase your loss. Bypassers lose the majority of there % weight loss in the first year.

I personally dont know of anyone who has suffered with band errosion or slippage. I know of one person who had one band that was deffective and then one that was broken by a surgeon during an op. I also dont recall anyone having port infections? although some people (3 as I recall on here) have had ports that were stitched restiched, under a local anesthetic. My port is anchored rather than stitched - less problems with movement.

If you are seriously considering WLS be honest about your eating habbits, research and research some more - then listen to the advice of a surgeon.

Good luck x

Have to disagree with 'crisps and pastries etc mushing up and passing through'. Both are refined carbs and can cause delayed dumping approx 1 hour after eating. Nothing passes right through with a bypass unless you force it which would be excruciatingly painful. Drinking with food can speed up the passage but only by a small amount.

In reality, it is harder to cheat or self sabotage with a bypass than a band. Not dumping at all is uncommon. Everything sits in the pouch before draining including liquid, and the vast majority of bypass patients lose genuine hunger post op. Head hunger affects everyone, but if dealt with properly pre op and understood post op then it is easily avoided. If you know that you do not genuinely feel hunger then it becomes easier to differentiate thirst and head hunger etc.

The nature of people means that a post opper will nearly always think their choice is the right choice and defend it to the hilt. As a pre-opper you need to bear that in mind and concentrate on proper research instead. Use peoples diaries to see the reality of post op life and success rates for all surgeries. Have you considered a sleeve or one of the newer procedures like POSE or ROSE?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Shell

Really I was just quoting what you and others have said on previous threads (obviously I havent experienced this myself), for instance this :

"Just to add with regards to volume and your unhappiness with bein able to eat 2 hot x buns, it's because they are simple carbs. As soon as they hit your saliva and then your pouch they break down to mush within minutes which passes straight through the stoma of your pouch, leaving room for more."

Its the same with a restricted band, simple carbs will pass through quickly if indeed you can eat them. Personally crisps, pastries etc stick when I have tried them, very painful and not worth it.

thanks girls. :)Just checked if I could remove thread prefix as I am not yet definate on a bypass but what i do know is i will be having some wls procedure. My passport should be here in the next 4 weeks or so and I can borrow the cash.

I'll have to quit fags which ive attempted about a dozen times in the past two years since i went back on 'em (I kid you not). time to beg for champix to be re-prescribed.:smoke:

Back