• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How i came to wls decision

anna2131

January 2009
Id noticed i was very tired could hardly stay awake and had gained half a stone,bearing in mind i only weighed 9stone and never had weight issues b4..
I was so tired could hardly stay awake at work and was in a really low foul mood daily with my family ,i had constant sore throat and felt lousy my husband begged me to give in and go see my doctor,im a pyhsci nurse and trust me i make an awful patient..
So i finally went to see the doctor (not my own ) firstly he said its depression i argued as no way am i depressed so he subcome to doing blood tests for my thyroid ,i recieve a call few days letter to go and see doc as bloods are showing underactive,so of i trot the he says well its underactive but im not gona give you meds yet as want to recheck in 3 months so what was point in calling me in..
I actually become really poorly with my throat and went back to see my own doctor and he requested a blood test it came back extremly underactive so prescribes thyroxine ,however things didnt improve its now 4 months and i had gained 5 stone ,so tired,losing my memory and seemingly sounding drunk as slurring so badly so now im signed off sick!!
Anyway to cut along story short im referred to see endoencrolgist i have Hashimto's thyroid disease so meds are altered to 200mg an 3 monthly bloods requiered from now on..

Now due to the6 stone iv now gained only being 4ft8 i hardly leave the house,hate my body and am totally ashamed (i live in a small village) and it really hits home as my parents and family are all down in kent or cornwall come to visit and cannot hide their shock at the size iv become and how ill iv become..
As now have high bp on beta blockers and water pills..

By August 2011 iv had enough as cant stand feeling ill,overweight and generally hating myself so i approached my gp to ask if i could see a dietcin for help ,which he willingly did ,i went to see her she was so kind but told me she cant help me as food is not my issue,i was devastated went home and cried ..

I left it for a couple of weeks went back to see my gp and he had letter from dietcian explaining she couldnt help me and i asked nervously would i be able to look into wls ,he looked at me smiled and said thats all i needed you to ask me il see if we can get you funding dont think we should have problem i was omg estaic,im finally being allowed a way to control my body again with help..

Funding was applied for as had to be done b4 i can be referred ,3 weeks later they have written back to my gp as i have not tried xenical the problem then arises i cant take with my thyroid as effects the meds and also i tried and i was allergic throwing up for days...

My gp is on holiday for 4 weeks so the pct info requirement is delayed beginning so september he re writes explaining to them i recieve a call a week later from gp receptionist my funding has been approved im so happy,even asking her to repeat this as know just how hard the pct can be ...

My doc refers me to Spires,Mr sedman in hull i recieve my first app for the 22november he was lovely ,looked through all my doc had sent him and we discussed the sleeve as i felt that would be good wls for me however due to my thyroid illness and previous 6 ops on stomach he prefers RNY route and we both agree and wants me to see my nutrionist
next ,i recieved a call the following monday would i like to take cancellation app to see nutrionist thurs 30th nov ,ofcourse i jumped at the chance!!
Well she was lovely took my heightand weight discussed after op diet and is more than happy for me to have surgery as my mind is in a good place and im focused was her words..

My final app is now the 13 dec to confirm im 100% sure about op with Mr sedman and i will be operated at the spires and i will be looking at either cancellation b4 christmas or in january...

Current weight 92.5 k
Height 4ft 8 inches
Bmi 45

My weight and bmi have dropped from 47 to 45 since first applying to pct but its a good thing my surgeon says!!!

Well long winded but felt id like to share my story with you as thyroid disease is a very hidden illness and there is not enough known about it and understanding as the impact it has on our lives..I know some of my weight gain is through being of long term sick lack of exercise as no energy and probaly eating bad choices!!

Well i recieved a phone call friday morning they have just given me a wonderful christmas present my surgery date is 10 january,have my pre op ass next thurs and start pre op diet 31st dec,now its all becoming reality!!!

Well the new me starts tomorrow livershrinkage diet im not expecting it to be asy as consists of clear soup no milk or milk protein or lumps allowed in it,suger free jelly yuk,1 small glass of pure pineapple juice ,black tea ,nas or bovril to drink for 10 days...
I have given up smoking for 6 days not been easy but hey ho, 10th jan im nil by mouth from 11am,admission to spire hull hosp at 3.30 pm then im booked for theatre at 5pm so no waiting around !!
However this evening its hit me quiet hard as
My 20 yr old daughters our youngest just had me in tears i dont usually do tears but bloody kids she has behind my back knowing we wouldnt aprove had a tatoo of my favourite flower (orchid) and my full name underneath on her wrist ,she says its coz she wanted to show how much she loves me and is very scared for me ffs all i need ,makes it worse as she is trainee pharmacist she knows to much regarding wls so i cant even pretend and glaze over it all ...Kids know how to get to us xx

Last edited:
Hi Anna and thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so pleased it is all working out so well for you and you will get your op soon. You're right thyroid problems are very under rated and often get over looked. Good luck for your op, hope it comes soon lovely.

Kate x

Welcome to the site Anna, and thank you for sharing. So pleased the funding was straightforeward for you and fingers crossed for a quick onward journey!

Hi Anna welcome tks for sharing ur journey so far good luck on ur op n i look forward to following ur journey ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Anna,

I do hope that the surgery helps correct your thyroid problems to the extent that you can lose weight.

Best wishes.

FANTASTIC NEWS

:)

cant pretend I'm not a little..... :fear:Looks like Jan 2012 is def the start of somethin new xx

Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing what journey you are going through hopefully the journey ahead will be a brighter one xx

Back