• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi - Just starting out on my journey

kimmy22

Hi everyone :wave_cry:
First of all i have to tell you that i'm a forum virgin so i apologise if i don't get the hang of this straight away. Although i have been lurking for a while, have only just plucked up the courage to speak out.

My name is Karen, I'm 44, happily married for 22 years with 3 children, 20, 18 and 11.

My journey started 2 months ago when i went to see my doc to ask for a bariatric referal. I've had the same doc for last 30 years so he knows me quite well, i say quite well because i'm not the sort of person who's on his doorstep for every cough, sneeze, ache or pain. He knows if i go its got to be for a good reason. Anyway, through the tears i told him how i felt and what surgery would mean to me. On this occasion i forgot to tell him about how my weight affected my day to day life. I told him that i had calculated my bmi online which was 57.04. He asked if i had had appetite suppressants, i said i had but they didn't do any good. I told him that i had lost 3 stone 2 years ago but seemed to hit a wall and ended up putting over 2 stone back on over last 2 years. Hopefully i won't put it all back on plus the little bit more which is usually the case. Well, he said he would help me and wrote a letter of referal to Castle hill in Hull.

3 weeks later i got a redirected letter from Hull via my GP saying "Thank you for asking me to see Karen with a view to possible bariatric surgery. Just reading your clinic letter I am able to say that this lady would not be eligible for bariatric surgey on the NHS as things currently stand. I would be happy to see her in clinic if you still wish me t do so but i regret it is unlikely i would be able to put her name on any waiting list and it would be unfair of me to see her without this being made clear."
To say i was gutted was an understatement, i cried for a week, made another appointment to see doc which i cancelled because i had turned really angry and needed to calm down, which i did, and this morning i went for my second appointment with doc.

It didn't go as i expected, i was hoping he would still let me go for the consultation so that i could put my points across and get to know first hand what i had to do to be accepted and be put on a waiting list. Thinking about it i think i was a little naive to think that it would be that easy especially as i've been following the journeys of people on this forum which i've found moving and also truly inspiring. Anyway, doc didn't even entertain the idea of still asking for me to be seen at Hull because he said his hands were tied then muttered something about criteria and about his referals being monitored. (feeling fobbed off at this point). I took it as an open invitation to still go, was i wrong to think this or just naive. I should point out at this point that i don't have any co-morbidities i.e heart disease, diabetese, etc, although i have suffered with hypertension in the past and through my research into bariactric surgery i have uncovered a possible sleep apnea condition. When i suggested this to my doc he laughed and said that i was clutching at straws. Red rag to a bull i'm affraid. I told him that my snoring is causing problems in the bedroom, that i sleep just as much during the day as at night, am constantly tired, i get up in the night to go to the loo and fall asleep whilst sat there, i wake up in the night gasping for air, and to top it all i even fell asleep while partaking in a little foreplay, :sign0007:now i'm no doc but nobody is telling me that that is normal. Admitedly i hadn't given any sleep disorder another thought until i started this, what looks like is going to be a very long journey.

Sorry if i'm going on a bit.

So, the long and the short of it is that he's still going to help me but he wants to put me on slimming tablets and be weighed regularly at the surgery. I did finally convince him that i may have sleep apnea so i'm gonna be tested for that and also a heap of blood tests for everything. I did ask him not to put me on xenical as i've had it before and it didn't agree with me, it just gave me diarrhoea and through the sobs i told him that i couldn't reach to wipe myself properly. :cry: He said that we'll give it a few months of close monitoring and regular weigh ins and then he would try and refer me again. I'm just hoping that it will be enough.

Not sure how i feel right now, despondant might be a good one to start with. By the way i've fallen asleep twice while typing this:4635:. Going to see nurse on friday so i'll post again then and try to join in with other threads. Any advice or pointers in the right direction will be gratefully received. I know this is going to be a battle but as i said to my doc on leaving the surgery "it aint over till the fat lady sings and i aint singing yet"!

Welcome Kimmy - and my what a journey you have had already! Dont feel down or upset, now is the time to take action. Contact your local PCT and check the guidelines. If you feel fobbed off, check what the doctor and the hospital are saying rather than sit down and leaving it.

I wish you every success in getting an answer at least and knowing the full guidelines!

Welcome to Mini's

Sally xx

Hey Kimmy
I was refused the first time i asked my GP to be put forward for surgery.
My BMI is 57 and like you i have no comorbidities, it took a stern letter from the Doctor who turned me down for nurse training to my GP to get the referal and i'm well on my way now so dont dispair.
Just keep jumping through the hoops and you'll get what you need.
All the best

Hiya and thank you for your support, i knew coming on here would be a good thing. I'll give the pct a go but i rather think its my doc who's not giving me 100% backing. You see, i was having treatment for approx 5 years for leg ulcers which have been healed for past 2 years. On one occasion when i went to see him to give a progress report i was greeted with "here she is, my most expensive patient", which has stuck in my throat somewhat. I don't know much about how referals work, but if it comes down to money then i'm way down his list of worthy patients i think. Think i'll sit tight till friday and see what vicky the practice nurse has to say, we get on really well because it was her who was changing my bandages every day when i had the ulcers.

I maybe wrong, but i was under the impression that a high bmi of over 50 alone without comorbidities was enough to get a consultation. Like i said, i may be wrong, my head is all over the place at the moment. I'm sure someone will put me right.

Thanks again
Karen :confused:

Hiya and thank you for your support, i knew coming on here would be a good thing. I'll give the pct a go but i rather think its my doc who's not giving me 100% backing. You see, i was having treatment for approx 5 years for leg ulcers which have been healed for past 2 years. On one occasion when i went to see him to give a progress report i was greeted with "here she is, my most expensive patient", which has stuck in my throat somewhat. I don't know much about how referals work, but if it comes down to money then i'm way down his list of worthy patients i think. Think i'll sit tight till friday and see what vicky the practice nurse has to say, we get on really well because it was her who was changing my bandages every day when i had the ulcers.

I maybe wrong, but i was under the impression that a high bmi of over 50 alone without comorbidities was enough to get a consultation. Like i said, i may be wrong, my head is all over the place at the moment. I'm sure someone will put me right.

Thanks again
Karen :confused:
You are right Kimmy the NICE guidlines do say that a BMI over 50 without co morbidities is enough for referal.

Welcome to Minis Kimmy I hope all goes well for you, wishing you all the best ... you will certainly get lots of encouragement from everyone on here

Thank you all so very much for your words of encouragement.

Lotsabeefy, were you on any intensively monitored diet of any description prior to your referal to show that you were serious about losing the weight because i haven't been. In my notes there is nothing to back up my claims that i have tried to loose any weight, i.e. regular weigh in's. This is what i'm having to do with my doc, i have to go to the nurse every week to be weighed so that my attempts to loose my weight are documented before he'll consider writing another referal letter.

If you read the quote from the letter i received, it was actually the consultant who was saying that i wouldn't be eligable to be put on any waiting list, so i'm a little confused if a bmi of over 50 is enough to get on the list without any comorbidities. Unless its the lack of evidence.

This is what has annoyed me about my doc, he isn't prepared to send me anyway so that i can get things clarified and do what is necessary. I'm tempted to get in touch with consultant for clarification on why i don't qualify, or is this just not the done thing.

Hi and welcome to the forum

You certainly seem to have had a fight already, please don't be put off and ensure that you keep fighting. Is there another doctor within your surgery that you could see? If you are going to have to start a record of a weight loss journey maybe it would be better to start seeing another doctor so that you can build up a rapport with somebody that is going to be more sympathetic to your request?

I understand your frustration, the time you want help most you have to go cap in hand to get it. I hated that and I was not given any real positive help AT ALL!!!! Grrr I hope so much it will be much more smooth sailing for you and you are not faced with any more hurdles than necessary.
I have all my crossable areas crossed that you get the op you need and can look forward to a brighter slimmer future. Love and hugs from me xxxxx

Thank you all so very much for your words of encouragement.

Lotsabeefy, were you on any intensively monitored diet of any description prior to your referal to show that you were serious about losing the weight because i haven't been. In my notes there is nothing to back up my claims that i have tried to loose any weight, i.e. regular weigh in's. This is what i'm having to do with my doc, i have to go to the nurse every week to be weighed so that my attempts to loose my weight are documented before he'll consider writing another referal letter.

If you read the quote from the letter i received, it was actually the consultant who was saying that i wouldn't be eligable to be put on any waiting list, so i'm a little confused if a bmi of over 50 is enough to get on the list without any comorbidities. Unless its the lack of evidence.

This is what has annoyed me about my doc, he isn't prepared to send me anyway so that i can get things clarified and do what is necessary. I'm tempted to get in touch with consultant for clarification on why i don't qualify, or is this just not the done thing.
Hya I was put o a change for life plan before anyone even contemplated surgery, I attended weigh ins weekly for about 6 weeks and they taught us about nutrition, but my problem is greed pure and simple i know whats good, i know how to stop my kids getting fat and i know why i'm fat its not bad choices when choosing what to eat its just greed.
Keep on just jmp through the hoops and you will get what you need

Back