• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP said funding is getting harder

msunique

Hi

I saw my GP today and he said the funding for wls is getting harder and harder there is 1 more patient having her op next week and thats it, everyone else has been refused funding!!

The PCT have put the BMI to 50 (which it was when I was approved) I also had diabetes and back problems but my GP said they way things are I would be refused now as I am too mobile :eek: they are saying the mobility has to be really bad as well as the BMI and diabetes etc before they will even consider it!!
The worst is starting to happen they are really cracking down on the funding here, I hope its not happening everywhere!!

I know where I am (Wirral pct) they have changed the criteria from nice guidelines to BMI 50 so I would no longer qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

So they just want a lot of obese diabetics and other co-morbodities(sp) clogging up all the hospital beds with much more serious illnesses over the next 20 odd years!

Never mind the cost of people being unable to work, as well as all the medications it will cost!

Sorry for my little rant! Grrrrrr..rr..r

Love Kat x

some gp's just like to be the voice of doom. One told me that I had no chance of getting funding and then when it was refused she told me there would be absolutely no point in appealing. Can't wait to go in there when I've lost loads of weight and tell her she was wrong.

My gp is lovely and very supportive even told me he can see how much weight I have lost without standing on the scales.

He was saying it's a shame they are refusing people as all his patients have done extremely well and he wishes they would approve more

Last edited:
My plastic surgeon said the same thing to me :( he said by the end of the year the PCT's will be saying no to everything. It's a shame as many suffer with weight problems, get the op and then suffer with skin problems. He said years ago plastics were part of the bariatric package but it was scrapped

OMG thats so bad, with my 2 year wait I have been advised on looks like I've got no chance!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

It's so upsetting

Kizzy - I know its really upsetting, it seems like there is no place to turn....and with the current economic climate, theres not even the possibility to save as every penny has to be earmarked for surviving from day to day.

How do people manage when there is no hope of the NHS coming to their aid - its seems to be a very long wait for surgery and a pointless excercise.

Hope you find some answers hun x

Love Kat x

I was told by the Dr in my weight management clinic that there is a good chance that the department could be closed down

Its awful, when so many people are on the journey! even if they allow the ones that are on it already to go through then rethink for others, but again this still isnt ideal.

I have only just had my op so I have a 2 year wait minimum for plastics, maybe things will have picked up again by then!

This thread has got me worryied! I have had telephone confirmation from Doctors secretary to say my funding has been agreed but she has not had it in writing yet and neither have I. She made a call to the PCT who told her it was approved.

She said it should come through this week but until I see it in black and white I'm not going to rest...It has taken nearly 2 years and 8 months to get to this point and if it was snatched away now I really dont know what I would do :(

Back