• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

group meet in mayo building

xxlmark

May i first start by saying how grateful i am for the time the special bariatric nurses spend with us they do a great job.
now come the groans
this was the second visit to the first Wednesday of the month meet at the mayo building i have attended i am now seven weeks post opp
for anyone who is outgoing it is the perfect place to discuss issues and ask questions that are concerning you weather you are post or pre opp

unfortunately not all folks are as out going as many others i have seen at the venue,
therefor the direction of the meet should be guided towards insight into what will happen pre opp and what things to do, and not do, post opp
even maybe tips from post opp patients on cooking exercise etc.
the point I'm making is the visit should be one of information gathering experience.
so that for those who are thinking of perhaps undergoing this life saving operation can leave the group with a clearer insight into what will happen
and those post opp will have perhaps gained from members who are further along the path
this should be the focus of the group.
And not the appalling experience i witnessed last night, thank goodness I'm post opp or i think i would have run a mile
using the group to make a few quid selling and parading around in women's braziers I'm sure was not the original format envisioned,
and wore still the group was not even split up so horrified males had no choice but to watch the gruesome spectacle
please get the focus back on bariatric matters and I'm sure we would all gain valuable experience

Omg! That sounds terrible!

First of all when someone comes to the group they are asked if they are pre or post op and the post op people are asked if they mind talking to the pre op members so if they don't or choose not to then it can't be the groups fault surely it is the individual members choice. As you are male and don't understand what it is like for a woman to get a correctly fitting bra that gives you support you wouldn't understand how important Lauren being there meant and Shelley being brave enough to model it for us to show us how they should fit and as for Lauren being out to make a few quid selling bras I and no doubt plenty of other women have spent a lot more on bras that are no good so to be able to be fitted with a reasonably priced bra that fitted liek a glove was heavenly, only women would understand that. As for Shelley parading around in a bra that wasn;t true and I am sure that you wouldn't have done it she was very brave and none of the men there had to stay in the room whilst this was going on anyone including yourself could have got up and walked out, we were all warned that it was coming well before it happened. Every meeting that I have attended inrespective of what it was for always diverts from the 'origiinal format' who determines what that is as when new people come or things change the format has to change. Could you please tell me why should the group be split up were you embarrassed by talking about men's supports cause us women sure weren't embarrassed at all. Could I just say that I struggle at the group but at least I try and get involved and don't make comments on websites i would go and see the people involved and ask for a QUIET word and discuss it with them and seen as you were praising the hospital staff they supported the meeting that was about supportive underwear for both males and females. The focus doen't have to be just on 'bariatric matters' as you put it as post op and good solid advice is just as needed as surgery as you say we don't want to scare people off and they have every opportunity to speak to people about what to expect as we all have. A lot of the people at the group are a few years down the line from surgery and thats useful but we have to get off our bottoms and go and find and talk to them and then we will see the benefits/pitfalls of what lies ahead. So please if you have any comments to make bring them up at the meeting i'm sure that it will make for a lively meeting. Hope to see you there next month whoever you are. Nice talking to you

i believe Mark maybe you should remember that post op means life ever after WLS. I know i wasnt at the meeting this month but have been at all bar 2 over the last 3+years I along with half a dozen others helped set up the group and each and every time have walked away with either insight or with the satisfaction that i have hopefully helped someone else who is not as far along on the journey as i am.
Each and every person has a different personality and each and every meeting will hopefully give different personalities something. I as a woman was really pleased to meet lauren 18 months ago as i was really struggling finding underwear to accommodate my loose skin. As for the spectacal parading in her brazier not only did it take a lot of guts for her to do that having lost 12 stone one of the main questions that partners of bariatric patients both male and female ask is about the effects on the skin of weight loss. If i had of been there i would of also stripped off with her not because im a brazen hussy but because i believe that having a true visual insight is more helpful that trying to imagine. It wasn't about selling and making money but about giving people the opportunity to be confident with their new shape and make the most of it. I for one would love my partner to phone lauren and ask her to come a do a fitting for me as a surprise and buy me some lovely bazooker holders!!

Hope to meet you soon at the next meeting.

carole

Back