• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Scottish newbie here...hello

biggy123

Hi all, I've been lurking and reading all your stories and tips for ages now and have decided to finally say HELLO.
I'm a young 40 year old, been yo-yo dieting since before primary school and have been around 20 stone for the last 15 years. I tried to get NHS funding for a band last year but had to take part in the Glasgow weight management programme. I stuck it out for about 6 months but left after only losing 10lbs and feeling I was getting no encouragement.

Like most of you, over the years I've tried every diet, diet programme, laser, hypnosis, exercise plan and fad known to man....all without success.
After a lot of thought I went to the GP again today to ask for an honest answer to my chance of Band funding and was told basically 'None' so I am going it alone.

I've got the majority of the money saved up and have a consultation with Mr C. Ross Carter at Ross Hall next month.

Anyone else have experience here ?

I am unbelievably nervous about the next big step but know in my heart that it is the only way for me to be happy and healthy. Thanks everyone for your stories and tips on the forum as they have been a huge part in making this decision.
Good luck everyone.

dottychic

Hi Biggy,
:welcome2: to WLS, good luck with your op, sorry Ive no experience of a band but there are loads of banders here who will help you with advice and support :D x

cherry

hi and welcome hunni! this site is fab and ask ANY question as someone will always answer good luck with your journey x

suesian

hi biggy and welcome not much use as i had a bypass but one thing i do know we were all had nerves before our op good luck im sure you will be fine , hugs sue

poo bear

:welcome2:Hi Biggy and welcome to this forum really hope you find all the help you need. Good luck with your wls journey Marie..

Bev

Good luck and sending a huge hug... you are very similar to me... I was refused... but my diabetic Consultant would not go away... in the end the NHS offered to fund... whichever way you are on your way and it's going to be a new world out there for you. Much love xxx

trine57

Hi Biggy,

Welcome to the site. I am one week post op having had a band fitted funded privately using The Hospital Group - so far so - definately no regrets x

biggy123

Thanks for the replies everyone, am starting to feel really excited about the possibilities of all this.

Grace

Hi biggy and welcome to this fab site.
:welcome:

and sending you all the very best wishes for your consultation.

xxxxxxx

drylaw

hi biggy i am also from scotland and are having the same problems you had i unfourtuatly cant afford to go private but i wish you success in your journey

biggy123

Hi drylaw, the funding seems to be really difficult to get up here doesn't it? - My GP says she would fund me right away if it was up to her but all the financial decisions are made elsewhere and only look at the short-term saving and not the long term costs of obesity, heart disease, strokes etc.
She even had to go private herself when she discovered a lump in her breast after being told she was too young for it to be cancer. Luckily she had her results back privately in 2 days and she had the all-clear.
Best of luck with your journey and maybe with the future opening of the weight loss hospital in Clydebank, more funding will be made available.

phatmomma

Hello Biggy123, so sorry to hear about the funding issues in Scotland (same old story - so very wrong). Luckily you seem to have found a different route and i wish you all the best along the way to slimville... Please be sure to update us along the way... xx