• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gulping vs sipping

shelbell said:
I still gulp :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Me too, can't help it!

Fuffs said:
I bypass gulp. But don't pre op gulp lol

But it's enough. A real pre op type gulp hurts me like hell!!! Lol

I loved once my body would let me do more than sip. Sipping did my head in.

Not eating and drinking together is the thing that annoys me the most. It's something I make sure I stick to. But in this hear has driven me crazy lol

I'm rly bad cos I drink and eat together. I just can't help it. I can't stand havin a dry mouth when eating and it happens alot...i don't follow many of the rules, which is v bad and pls don't follow my example BUT it hasn't seemed to affect my WL luckily!!!

Fizzpot said:
How is everyone with fizzy pop? I've not tried it but I find I do better when out to drink fuzzy low calorie pop because otherwise I have j20's then I feel bad all day as there full of calories, if I have water I feel bored and then want to pick!! Xx

I still drink diet coke, fizzy, not flat (cos it just tastes horrible!). Out of all the food etc this was the one thing that was impossible for me to give up as I don't rly drink much else other than that or water! Doesn't cause me any probs an doc says I I can tolerate it then I know what my body can handle. Just stick to diet drinks!
But, you should try to follow what you've been told. Am just telling you personal experiences (don't want to be called a bad influence :-/)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh that sounds interesting tell us more ??

It was from series 1 and an episode called Snack Food. I didn't see the very beginning, but he said that they put oil in it (urgh) and then have to put in an emulsifier to stop it separating. They also add caffeine which can cause dehydration.But the thing that put me off (as well as the oil) was that they put acid in (which it the reason you can put a coin in a glass of coke to clean it and also you can use cola to clean your toilet). He said the reason that they put the acid in, is that the acid causes the taste buds on your tongue to tingle and produce saliva which makes your body think that the drink has quenched your thirst when actually it hasn't. Because the caffeine dehydrates you, you need to drink more water to compensate for the cola you have drunk. How horrible is that? They have been showing the full series on the Good Food channel on Sky.

I'm sipping but still swallowing too much air and can't burp it out (yet?). Is there a special technique for sipping with minimum air intake?

Thump said:
I'm sipping but still swallowing too much air and can't burp it out (yet?). Is there a special technique for sipping with minimum air intake?

I was told not to use a straw, if that helps. I use a protein shake bottle, as it has a fairly large spout and also so I can measure what I have had throughout the day.

Sarahmaria said:
Are there any 'gulpers' in the house? Im a massive gulper when drinking. Dont think iv ever really taken a sip in my life. Just love the feeling of taking a massive gulp of an ice cold drink. I hear thats a no no after weight loss surgery. Did anyone find it hard to adapt to the constant sipping as opposed to intermittent gulping?!?

Xo

P.s apologies for the number of times i said 'gulp' lol.

I was a gulper pre op but now if I gulp post op I get a pain but his only happens with cold drinks for some reason I'm fine with hot drink. I used to drink loads pre op and now I'm finding it difficult to get my recommended fluids each day

Fuffs said:

Not eating and drinking together is the thing that annoys me the most. It's something I make sure I stick to. But in this hear has driven me crazy lol

Not eating and drinking is really hard, I'm about 12-13 wks post op and I'm still finding it really difficult :(

I do my best to sip but often gulp and then have to get up the excess wind.. My hubby is constantly reminding me to sip though now too x

I'm the same. I'm managing to get lots of liquid in. Struggling to leave time before and after meals though as I'm constantly thirsty.

I'm the same constantly thirsty. I have definitely made mistakes here as 30 min between eating is a long time when ur parched. This is one area I find hard with the sleeve but I'm trying cos I don't want pouch to stretch .

I agree with you Sophie.. really hard not to have drinks with meals.. Another life long habit to break.

Dont you just miss being able to gulp down an entire glass of ice cold drinks on a hot sunny day?? That refreshing feeling??

Oh well, here I go again.. another little sip of my juice !!

xx

Back