• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Purple Sparkle's Journey and Weekly Weigh In Thread

Purple Sparkle

Hi everyone

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a diary, but I think I would like to be able to look back over the next few months and be able to remind myself of the journey I have been on, so I plan to make an entries on a regular basis. Most of which will probably be me rambling :)

So, the story so far - I have had weight issues since my early 20's - I am now 42. No particular reason for them, just ate too much and did not move enough - basic maths, too many calories in and not enough out. Been on various diets and became an expert in all of them in theory - struggled with the practical application of them for any duration of time - could lose 4-5 stone, then I would stop, and gradually put it all back on plus a bit more, then start all over again - you get the picture.

Started to look at WLS about a year ago, then got cold feet and convinced myself I could do it myself and re-joined (yet again) another slimming club.
After Christmas I began looking into it again and approached my GP, however, I did not meet the local PCT criteria - not fat enough! - so no referral could be made, so pursued the private route, spoke to several different providers, googled everything I could before making a decision. My other half has been so supportive; I could not have asked for more – love him to bits.

From there everything went really quickly - I had an initial consultation on 8th May, meeting with surgeon, pre op tests, and I was banded Tuesday 28th May. I had to do pre op liver shrink diet for 10 days prior to surgery - I lost 18lb on it - I know it's not designed for weight loss but it's a massive boost.

The surgery was ok - I was last on the list, didn't go down to theatre til just after 6pm, so the waiting was not good, but I was ok and excited right until I got down to theatre. I started to shake uncontrollably; never experienced anything like it before, but the staff were great, reassuring, calm and so kind and the next thing I was waking up. I could feel that something had happened; it felt like something was resting on my chest, not restrictive, just that something was there. I was back in my room for 7.15pm - so quick.

Throughout the night the nurses check on blood pressure, temperature and discomfort - I had a tramadol about midnight and that sent me back off to sleep for a few hours. Nurse came to give me the anti blood clot injection and taught me how to do it for when I get home. I was also sipping water throughout the night as had really dry mouth. I woke up about 5am and the nurses got me up, checked my dressings, and all was good, so actually got up and had a wander round. I looked lovely in my surgical stockings!!

I can't say I was in any pain at this stage - just a bit uncomfortable. Surgeon came round about 7.30, everything had gone well and in medical terms I had had an 'unremarkable recovery' - this is good apparently :), so the pharmacist issued me some meds - soluble paracetamol and Tramadol, 10 anti blood clot injections and a sick note and I was allowed home about 10am!

I was pre-warned about trapped wind by my provider and also had read about it on this forum, but I did not expect it to hurt so much – I have never been a ‘burper’ but right from when I first woke up and started sipping water the burps started – however on Thursday, 2 days after op, I got a really bad stabbing pain in my left shoulder. Tried windeeze, calpol, moving about, windmilling my arm, other half massaged my shoulder and back, nothing would shift it, it took about 4 hours for it to ease off. I have had no pain from the actual surgery, just the bloomin’ trapped wind!

Food wise – I started to ‘eat’ again on Thursday, slimfast, few spoons of soup, runny custard and yoghurt. They taste lovely! Have been making sure I drink enough – I am filling a 2 litre bottle of water each morning and drinking it throughout the day – it’s hard though – I used gulp a pint of squash back in about 10 seconds, now it takes about an hour – but I know it’s important and I don’t want dry scaly skin!

So that brings me up to today, I am sat drinking my hot water looking out at the sunshine and looking forward to the future instead of dreading it – life is good :D

Justine xx

Hi everyone

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a diary, but I think I would like to be able to look back over the next few months and be able to remind myself of the journey I have been on, so I plan to make an entries on a regular basis. Most of which will probably be me rambling :)

So, the story so far - I have had weight issues since my early 20's - I am now 42. No particular reason for them, just ate too much and did not move enough - basic maths, too many calories in and not enough out. Been on various diets and became an expert in all of them in theory - struggled with the practical application of them for any duration of time - could lose 4-5 stone, then I would stop, and gradually put it all back on plus a bit more, then start all over again - you get the picture.

Started to look at WLS about a year ago, then got cold feet and convinced myself I could do it myself and re-joined (yet again) another slimming club.
After Christmas I began looking into it again and approached my GP, however, I did not meet the local PCT criteria - not fat enough! - so no referral could be made, so pursued the private route, spoke to several different providers, googled everything I could before making a decision. My other half has been so supportive; I could not have asked for more – love him to bits.

From there everything went really quickly - I had an initial consultation on 8th May, meeting with surgeon, pre op tests, and I was banded Tuesday 28th May. I had to do pre op liver shrink diet for 10 days prior to surgery - I lost 18lb on it - I know it's not designed for weight loss but it's a massive boost.

The surgery was ok - I was last on the list, didn't go down to theatre til just after 6pm, so the waiting was not good, but I was ok and excited right until I got down to theatre. I started to shake uncontrollably; never experienced anything like it before, but the staff were great, reassuring, calm and so kind and the next thing I was waking up. I could feel that something had happened; it felt like something was resting on my chest, not restrictive, just that something was there. I was back in my room for 7.15pm - so quick.

Throughout the night the nurses check on blood pressure, temperature and discomfort - I had a tramadol about midnight and that sent me back off to sleep for a few hours. Nurse came to give me the anti blood clot injection and taught me how to do it for when I get home. I was also sipping water throughout the night as had really dry mouth. I woke up about 5am and the nurses got me up, checked my dressings, and all was good, so actually got up and had a wander round. I looked lovely in my surgical stockings!!

I can't say I was in any pain at this stage - just a bit uncomfortable. Surgeon came round about 7.30, everything had gone well and in medical terms I had had an 'unremarkable recovery' - this is good apparently :), so the pharmacist issued me some meds - soluble paracetamol and Tramadol, 10 anti blood clot injections and a sick note and I was allowed home about 10am!

I was pre-warned about trapped wind by my provider and also had read about it on this forum, but I did not expect it to hurt so much – I have never been a ‘burper’ but right from when I first woke up and started sipping water the burps started – however on Thursday, 2 days after op, I got a really bad stabbing pain in my left shoulder. Tried windeeze, calpol, moving about, windmilling my arm, other half massaged my shoulder and back, nothing would shift it, it took about 4 hours for it to ease off. I have had no pain from the actual surgery, just the bloomin’ trapped wind!

Food wise – I started to ‘eat’ again on Thursday, slimfast, few spoons of soup, runny custard and yoghurt. They taste lovely! Have been making sure I drink enough – I am filling a 2 litre bottle of water each morning and drinking it throughout the day – it’s hard though – I used gulp a pint of squash back in about 10 seconds, now it takes about an hour – but I know it’s important and I don’t want dry scaly skin!

So that brings me up to today, I am sat drinking my hot water looking out at the sunshine and looking forward to the future instead of dreading it – life is good :D

Justine xx

Nice update Justine, an so glad to hear you are excited for the future, its a little hard to get used to things, the gulping back drinks is a thing I always used to do to, still one day at a time i think, here's to us!

gems x

Diary - good choice :) I look forward to hearing how everything is going/ has gone.

It is beautiful weather, to add to the excitement of the band, all good stuff!

Lots of luck,

Leila x

Hello you ! You got sunshine ? Gosh where abouts are you ? Lovely to hear your update and so quick an op after the initial consulation I have mine on June 5th and sure hoping it will be as quick as yours , please do keep us updated especially of how you are feeling and what's on the menu and what your progress is like well done

How fab!

I can't wait to be the one writing mine, it's so encouraging to read it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak! :)

Best wishes!

2.6.13 - So, a bit of an eventful day yesterday when my dog got spooked and ran off heading down a busy road, and I had to give chase – not a good idea 4 days after surgery, but thanks to a very kind man who saw what was happening and spun his car round and drove me down in front of her to head her off - it all ended well – phew! Felt a bit bruised and tender for rest of day but feeling fine today.

Eating is going well, had a bit more today than yesterday. Can’t say I am feeling hungry like I used to - I am trying to have something at meal times to get into a routine and to make sure I am getting some energy. Am still feeling tired, but my provider said this could last a couple of weeks, so no concerns. Am going to have some whey protein shakes next week and my other half has bought me some liquid multi vitamins to give me a bit of a boost.

Am having a slim fast for my breakfast, soup for lunch, about ½ a tin and the rest of the tin for tea along with a yoghurt/custard pot. I am finding it easier to eat and drink later in day than first thing in morning. Still can’t get used to the burping though – every time I eat or drink I am burping for about 10 mins afterwards – does this subside in time?

Could not resist a peek on the scales this morning – was expecting to have gained as I still feel a bit bloated and swollen from surgery, but was giddy when it said I had lost another 3 pounds, so in 2 weeks since starting the pre op I have lost 21 pounds. :D Have promised myself that I will only weigh once per week moving forward – might have to lock scales away and give key to other half!

Staples coming out on Thursday, I can feel them a little now, so looking forward to being rid of them, although not looking forward to the actual removal process.

Anti blood clot injections going ok – even though I know they don’t hurt, just sting a little, I still get edgy just before and have to psych myself up to it. Other half keeps offering to do them for me, but I don’t think so – he seems really keen to stab me with a small needle though! :eek:

Looks like it’s going to be a nice week next week so will get out on a few gentle walks around village and make the most of my time off and start to increase my activity levels.

Have a good week everyone
Justine x

I cannot believe that this time last week I was having my band fitted – the week has flown by. I am amazed with how quick the recovery time was – did not really have any pain from surgery, just the trapped wind and that was only for a couple of days. My wounds are starting to itch a little now as they heal, but staples are due out on Thursday, so that will soon be over.

After speaking to my provider yesterday, she said she was happy for me to move on sloppy food today, so I have had some scrambled eggs for lunch and just enjoyed some cod in cheese sauce with a couple of florets of cauliflower and a few pieces of parsnip – was delicious! :D I think I read in a thread by Top_Kat that rather than mush everything together she kept everything separate – I did this too and it was nice to enjoy the flavour of each individual food. I made sure I ate slowly and after every 3-4 spoons I left it a minute or so to let it settle before continuing and all was fine.

I need to start thinking about exercise over the next week – I am a member of a gym – have been 3 times in last 12 months – not good.:eek: Whilst the weather is nice and I am off work, I am just doing a few walks around the village for a bit of activity but need to sort out some sort of structured plan moving forward.

Yesterday and today I have felt hungry at times, but it’s trying to establish if it’s physical or emotional – not craved anything in particular though. When I get these pangs I am trying to have a drink and wait to see if it passes – yesterday it didn't so I had a yoghurt and was fine – today it did, so must make sure I am having enough fluid moving forward.

Saw my Aunt today who I had not seen since before I started my pre op diet and she said she could see a difference in my face already – looking forward to losing a few chins and my big moon face!

Have done some before pic’s (horrendous!) – going post them in a few months when I have some comparisons.

Hope everyone is having a good week
Justine x

Hello, Im new to this site and so pleased I found your thread! So helpful, thankyou so much and please do continue with it. Good luck and well done u x x

Hello you ! You got sunshine ? Gosh where abouts are you ? Lovely to hear your update and so quick an op after the initial consulation I have mine on June 5th and sure hoping it will be as quick as yours , please do keep us updated especially of how you are feeling and what's on the menu and what your progress is like well done

Hi Lilianna

Good luck with your consultation tomorrow - let me know how you get on

Justine x

Yes I can not wait its in the afternoon thanks for asking , please keep up I the diary I'm all ears do you feel different around food ?

Visit to GP today to have staples removed – have to say I was more nervous about this than the actual surgery. She checked my blood pressure but it was through the roof, so she hasn’t recorded it. Going to pop back in next week for it to be checked. Apart from a couple of them stinging slightly, I did not feel the rest of them at all. Just go 2 more fragmin injections to give myself and then I am all done! :)

Food still going well – moved onto sloppy food on Tuesday – today I have had a Weetabix with loads of milk for breakfast, for lunch I had a carrot, parsnip and couple of florets of cauliflower mashed up with some philly cheese – delicious hot or cold. And for my tea I am having some tuna with some sweet chiili sauce and a couple of slices of banana mashed up with some low fat custard later on tonight. Still no real hunger pangs, although I have had a few ‘I really fancy a taste of that’ moments. Still focusing on the way I eat as well, a few small mouthfuls and then rest for a moment and then continue to eat – it’s taking some getting used to, but hopefully will be a habit soon – I think they say you have to do something for about 3 weeks before it becomes a habit – so will keep working on it!

I have my first weigh in tomorrow morning, excited about it – I feel like a lot of my swelling and bloating has gone down and my trousers are loose around my waist and my other half helpfully commented that they make me look like I have got a ‘saggy arse’ – got to love him!! :D

I have started using My Fitness Pal to record my food – it’s really helpful and an eye opener when you see how many calls and how much sugar is in some of the things I used to eat. I have always known that I have not made the healthiest choices in the past, but it’s easy to have blinkers and ignore it when it suits.

Looking forward to starting some exercise over the next few weeks – still having a walk round the village each day – nothing strenuous, just enjoying the sunshine!

Hope everyone is having a good week – not long til weekend
Justine x

Lovely to hear your progress and good to hear you are making good choices food wise we all have a bit of "oh I could just eat that" sort of moments and as you say you will have to re educate your thoughts 3 weeks to make a habit you say ? I went for my initial appointment with my consultant I got weighed and BMI calculated we discussed my eating patterns and I'm just about on the cusp of being able to have the orbera baloon . I now have an appointment with the nurse who has had sleeve surgery to discuss what the orbera involves etc She told me some ladies had lost 5 stones while another only 5 pounds I'm meeting with her on Saturday 8th June . I asked her the million dollar question how soon could I have it done ? And she said I know for a fact there is a slot available on Friday 14 th June I just want this done now my BMI registered at 33 do keep up your diary I look forward to your news

Lovely to hear your progress and good to hear you are making good choices food wise we all have a bit of "oh I could just eat that" sort of moments and as you say you will have to re educate your thoughts 3 weeks to make a habit you say ? I went for my initial appointment with my consultant I got weighed and BMI calculated we discussed my eating patterns and I'm just about on the cusp of being able to have the orbera baloon . I now have an appointment with the nurse who has had sleeve surgery to discuss what the orbera involves etc She told me some ladies had lost 5 stones while another only 5 pounds I'm meeting with her on Saturday 8th June . I asked her the million dollar question how soon could I have it done ? And she said I know for a fact there is a slot available on Friday 14 th June I just want this done now my BMI registered at 33 do keep up your diary I look forward to your news

Thanks Lilianna - I am finding the diary helpful so will keep posting.

So you could be having you balloon a week tomorrow? That's exciting :D - let me know how your appointment on Saturday goes.

5lbs and 5 stone loss is a massive difference - I don't know much about the balloon - how much are you looking to lose? Does the balloon make you feel fuller quicker?

Justine x

The baloon is inserted via the mouth and inflated it stays in the stomach for 6 months and then removed . I'm the typical yo yo dieter and when I start to eat don't know when to stop and I'm hoping the baloon will re educate me into knowing when I'm full . It's a risky business as when the baloon comes out one hopes that the 6 month re education business will stay for the rest of ones life the current criteria is to have a BMI of 32 ( I'm 33 ) I'm hoping to lose 3 stones anymore more will be a bonus . I have tried dieting pills , cambridge , weight watchers , you name it I've experienced it . I'm currently nearly 12 stones and only 5 foot tall . The nurse I'm seeing on Saturday is going to tell me all about it . And I shall keep you posted . I know some people will say oh god only 3 stones odd to lose surely she can just stop being so self indulgent ? I wish I had the answer to that I'm hoping with the cost of the procedure and the back up of the dietitian and reporting back to the provider will help me to finally keep my weight stable and be able to know when enough food is enough speak soon with updates how are you feeling ? I haven't told anyone about my intentions I just don't want the scenario of how much have you lost ? And people making judgment on the expense .

1st Weigh in after op

So first official weigh in this morning and I have lost 7lb since surgery last week - well chuffed with that. :D - have now lost 25lbs since starting pre-op diet on 19th May.

Now I just need to keep off of the scales til next Friday - am not wanting to become obsessed with them, as I know from previous experience if I don't like what I see it can mess with my mood. :(

Already can feel clothes are getting looser - it's a good feeling.

Have a good day everyone

Justine x

Well done :O)

Thanks for sharing your journey

karen x

Back