• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gutted after pre op assessment today - sorry long post

rachaelh

Hi all, well as some of you may remember i was all anxious and excited after receiving my pre op assessment letter from sunderland royal last week to go for my pre op assessment today. Well it all started fine, seemed to be meeting all the criteria for surgery until the nurse mentioned that the op was to re-site my port and that i'd be in monday for op on tuesday. Fair enough you might think, but as yet i've had no surgeries and definately have no port to re-site, and according to mr small's registrar I was to be put forward for a bypass anyway. Anyway long story short after some investigating the nurse (who was an absolute star actually) found out that the hospital had made a right royal fluff up and that i was actually sitting in effectively for someone else's appointment, and it was them not me who will be going for surgery on monday. Well devastating as that was it only got worse, as after calling mr small's secretary on her boss's request to see if they could arrange another surgery date for me asap because of the confusion the poor nurse had to break it to me that my case hadn't even been discussed yet and that i have an appointment in june after which they will then discuss my case. The nurse and her boss told me to make a complaint as this is a 'critical incident' but I told them i didnt want to kick up a fuss (i was rather worried incase i cause myself further problems and end up no where near the list at all!) but after gentle persuasion from OH i spoke to someone from PALS who gave me a complaints pack and said she was going to look into how this happened and call me back by the end of today (not heard anything yet but will update as/when i do) The nurses at the PAAC also said they were going to make an incident report as this should never have happened, i really couldn't fault them, they did everything possible to try and get something sorted for me, but if i'm not even discussed yet there aint really much that can be done so i guess its just a waiting game until june now when i have to see mr small (or his registrar) again and take it from there all i can say is gutted gutted gutted aaarrrrrrggggh!

Oh how bloody annoying,:eek: I really feel for you and think you are being very brave.

Oh dear, sorry to hear things went a bit pear shaped. I know that June sounds like a long way off but really we are near the end of April. Heres hoping the weeks fly by for you.

That is so annoying! A bit of gentle complaining may get you moved along a bit quicker hun xx

That is awful that they completely mixed you up with someone else. Scares me to think what happens with personal information there. So sorry this has happened to you.

You poor thing, I know how you feel my journey was royally messed up first by my gp and then surgeons secretary! Its so frustrating, try and keep your chin up, it will happen just not as soon as you would like x

As someone who used to work in the NHS I really think you should complain. This is what we would call a near miss. Basically it means no harm has occurred because of the error but it could of resulted in significant harM. Please dont think I'm belittling how emotionally stressful and downright devasting this has all been. If I was you I would be inconsolable.
Please complain officially and also see your GP who could make an offical professional complaint. From my experience the ones who complained the loudest were often moved up the list!
Much love
xxxxxxxxx

:( Sorry to hear that,oh my goodness you must be so frustrated. I'm sure it will all come in good time in the end,i do know how loooooong it all seems to take.I am just at the beginning of the process and its so stressful waiting and waiting every day for news and for the next appointment.It will be worth it in the end.;) Best Wishes xxx

That's awful! I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through all that....mind you....it might just cause things to speed up for you and you might just get put through the system sooner than you may have done originally because of this error. Let's hope that's what happens as you must be feeling horrible at the moment.
Wishing you lots of luck and hope everything turns out great for you after a rubbish start x

How awful. I really think you're right to complain... You could have ended up on the operating table before they realised the mistake. Hope things get moved along for you xx

Rachel I am sooo sorry for you & you must be gutted. I had similar incident with Sunderland Royal, last year when waiting to have balloon fitted. I got letter on the Friday when I got in from work (bout 5.30pm) saying my surgery procedure was scheduled for the following Tuesday (4 days time). I had to ring my manager at work to get time off (not easy) then on the Monday I had to ring my GP at 8am to arrange for a supply of ant-acids (as per letter from hospital).

I then rang the hospital at 9am, again as per their letter, to confirm I would be attending the next day. I was transferred to a nurse who asked if I'd been taking the ant-acids for a week, well obviously I hadn't as I'd only received their letter 3 days before.

She advised that the letter had been sent in error & I'd have to wait for another appointment. I cried for about an hour!!!!!! GUTTED.

When I did eventually go in for the procedure I couldn't get the camera down, which is another story & I'm still waiting for date for my bypass.....

Good Luck!!

Rachael I'd be gutted if that was me, and I too think you should follow it up with a letter of complaint.

Good luck,
Cuppa xx

Rachael i too think you should make a official complaint. Even if it doesn't move you further up the list it will hopefully ensure this awful disappointment is not felt by another person waiting for the surgery that could change their life..

And Rachel, June is 6 weeks away hun, it be here before you know it. My advice is not to focus on the date, try and ignore it and it will be round before you know it xx

thanks every one for the comments of support, i was supposed to get a call back from the PALS before tea time but no heard anything back, but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they might still be looking in to what went on, might not be so nice after office hours tomorrow lol and you're all right june isn't really far away i just home mr small is in a good mood with me on the day and they decide to discuss me sooner rather than later, i think i'm going to wait a couple of days before putting the complaint in and see if anything comes back from the lady at the PALS service then if not its time to kick butt!

I also agree with the guys who have posted. Had my surgery at Sunderland and actually had no probs - but would have been beside myself in your position :(

Fingers crossed it all happens soon for you xxxxxxx

So sorry to hear what you have been put through. Just want to send you some virtual (((hugs))) as I would have been so upset if it was me.

Sunderland Royal is the worst hospital I have ever been unfortunate enough to work in (I am still nursing in Sunderland but I am over at Monkwearmouth Hospital, I would retire from nursing before going back to Sunderland Royal). This story doesn't surprise me AT ALL. I could list you dozens of similar stories.

I have to agree with everyone else, complaining really is the way forward, they then HAVE to look into it, and if nothing else, it might prevent somebody else going through what you have been through.

Fingers crossed for you

Rx

That is totally unacceptable and a breach of confidentiality as well as they could have revealed something about the other patient that was confidential or vice versa. I hope you get some come back from PALS but if not, I'd definitely complain and it shouldn't effect how fast you get discussed by the panel.

I could sit & list loads of things that happened to me last September but you'd probably not believe me. My partner witnessed a lot of it but as I was so upset he didn't want to say anything to upset me further.

Normally I'm a 'no nonsense' person but felt totally vulnerable & intimated. It took me from last September until March (my 40th) to summon up the courage to complain & only then was I offered another consultation!!

Yet I work with 6 people who have had either bands or bypasses with no problems whatsoever. Which re-enforces my theory of 'it could only happen to me'!

Rachael, I sincerely wish you all the luch & hope you get sorted ASAP. Don't given up 'cos I won't & I'm determined to have surgery, lose weight & watch my son's grow up!!

Back