• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Had 1st Appointment at Walsall Manor

Patsy

Hi all, havent been on here since August as I've had one or two things going on.

Anywho, went for my 1st appointment at Walsall last week and saw the dietitian, Dr Hartland and Ana the nurse who were all lovely.

Dr Hartland has said that yes I can have the op and now I'm just waiting.

My main question is after going to easibook the receptionist informed me there was nurse available today so all I did was fill out a form and was told to await a follow up appointment etc. No bloods etc were taken - is this normal??

What happens next:confused:

Thanks for reading:)

I can only tell you my experience, I had my first appointment in July where I was seen by Dr Hartland and Ana, they explained the op ect.

Then you have to have another appointment after your cooling off period which is now 4 months, this is where you have to tell them that you wish to go ahead, funding is then applied for and you will receive another 2 appointments, these are the pre op appointments the 1st is where the bloods ect are done and the 2nd is to see the gas man and if you are lucky you will get your op date, at the moment it is roughly taking 12 months from referral to op.

hope that helps

I'm not surprised they didn't do much more than that at Easi-Brooke in light of the amount of post op emergencies they were having to deal with.

You will be on a four month cooling off period now and then should be sent for all the checks after that, but my advice would be to go to your doctor and get them to do it all at your local hospital, then make sure you take all the results with you to Walsall.

You will need to do full bloods, blood pressure, Diabete's test, Sleep Apnia, etc. Your doctor should have a good idea as to whats needed.

It should help speed things up a bit if you do that as Walsall are notoriously bad at messing up appointments and over looking things.

Its also wise to check that your funding application has gone through to your PCT because they tend to overlook those too.

A bit nearer the time you should have a pre-op appointment at Easi-Brooke where they take your bloods, do your blood pressure, check for MRSA and send you for a blow test (breathing test). Then normally two weeks after that you get to see Mr Youssef the anaethetist for the results, to be examined by him and sometimes he gives you your operation date, (unless you are sent for further tests like the Sleep Apnia test which can take a couple of months to sort out if you need treatment). If he doesn't give you a date, you will know a couple of days later via mail.

If any other tests need doing, like the Sleep Apnia test, they will send you for it after this pre-op op appointment and that can take time, especially if you need treatment, which is why I suggested getting those tests done now to cut down the wait.

Back