• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st Appointment

Patsy

So, I went for my 1st appointment yesterday (clinical assesment), and doctor asked me about previous diets, family history etc, had bloods etc taken. After long discussion doctor offered me Xenical:confused:!! I told the doctor I have tried it TWICE and it didn't work then, so can't see how its going to work now. I have now been referred to see the dietician, and will be seeing the doctor again in 10 weeks:(. The doctor also indicated that in the long run he would probably refer me to Walsall Manor hospital anyway:gimi:!! Am I right in thinking this is more or less standard procedure??

It depends on your GP and or PCT.

When I went to my GP and asked about WLS in August 2008, my medical record showed that I had tried various weight loss methods, including Orlistat and LighterLife. My GP was sympathetic to my request and checked if I met with the OCT requirements. I did and thus he referred me to Walsall Manor in September.

I had my bypass there, by Mr. Khan on 1st April.

My GP was very sympathetic, in my referral letter she actually asked/told the doctor she wanted me to have surgery lol (I think I'm the first person she has ever referred for WLS). My medical records will show that I have tried various medical methods (well tablet wise) forms of weight loss and also lighter life and cambridge. Well, at least the ball seems to be rolling.

Sorry I can't give an answer to your question, but didn't want to read and run.
Like you say at least the ball is rolling and they now know you are serious about losing the weight.
Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck.

When I first saw Dr New he wanted to put me on reductil (again) and a 300 calorie a day diet. He said I could pick what food I wanted for the 300 calories. I said to him what would happen "if" I lost the weight and then started to eat normally it would just return, within seconds he put me forward to see the surgeon....dont be put off sometimes you have to jump a lot of hoops....I was also turned down for funding by the PCT they suggested I attend weight management classes for two years....I got the dietician to write to them as I had attended a "Food for thought" programme, once they discovered I had sleep apnea the funding was approved....we have to show we have tried everything to lose the weight...good luck and dont take know for an answer...I never do!...lol...xx

Must have been disappointing for you, when my GP wrote to our local PCT it was after we had fulfilled all their criteria and they granted me the funding
As the others say it totally depends on your GP and PCT xxx

It was my Sleap Apnia consultant who pretty much got me the operation, I couldnt get it through the "fat clinic" as I call it at the hospital so I stopped going, but my Sleap apnia got so bad that the consultant insisted I had surgery and hey presto, I got it.

Back