• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss

DeLonc

My name is Christina and I am 3 months post op. (gastric bipass)
I am starting to see my hair thinning and losing at the crown of my head.
I'm getting 60 to 80 grams of Protien in each day. Does anyone have a recommendations?
How long til it grows back?
Thanks !

Last edited:
This is something that happens to some people. Whilst there are plenty of theories, what I have learned from the Sheffield team is that it's due to a hormornal change rather than a deficiency of any kind. Taking different 'remedies' doesn't work.

It will come back to normal after a few weeks.

The prescribed solution is to take Zinc and Selenium supplements. These arrested the loss in my case and have helped many others too. Speak to your GP about this and they will be able to help. As Mickie says in the vast majority of cases it does come back OK

My hair got really thin and wirey while I was loosing weight, but now I am at my target it has stabilised. I tried lots of supplements and thickening shampoos but none of them helped with that.

Try not to worry, it won't be permanent.

Rx

My hair has started to come out too which I was dreading but expecting too..... Im going to see the GP next week for some zinc tablets and pray it helps! XX

My hair is falling quite a bit. It's defiantly thinner but I don't care one little bit. It's only temporary and it'll grow back.

I had a good moan about my hair falling out then a week later my 9 year old daughter was diognosed with alopecia areata, she has 15 bald patches all over her scalp, it sure put things into perspective for me.

It's not till you start loosing you hair that you realise what a major part of you it is. I now only have to look at my daughter and see how brave she is being to bring myself back into line.

We have had sea kelp tablets recommended to us, unfortunately they are only recommended for adults. They help to strengthen the hair.

Good luck at this distressing time x x

Welcome to the forum... :welcome: and wishing you all the very best in every way with your weightloss journey...

Sending a humungous hug and loads of love... Bev xxx

.... I shall be having zinc supplements for sure.....

:grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg::happy096:

As Karlos says - the doctors precribe Zinc and Selenium, but these are stronger doses than those available over the counter - so get to GP and ask for Zinc and Selenium x

Hello and welcome. I'm just over 5 months post-op and this is a continuing problem for me. I've been prescribed Zinc Sulphate 220mg capsules. This is a much stronger dose than you can buy over the counter and what my dietician recommends. It is helping a bit.
But I think what may be helping more is that I had very long hair and I've had it cut shorter: to shoulder length.
I've noticed much less hair is falling out in the week since i had it cut.
I wonder if the sheer weight of my hair was causing a worse hair loss?
It's been going on for about 8-10 weeks so far.
I hope that helps
Grace xxx

The hair loss usually kicks in between months 3-6 after wls. It takes the body several weeks or months to react to massive changes so in the beginning when you were on weeks of liquids and mushy foods and weren't getting the protein you needed, this is your body reacting to it. Now that your intake is better it will level out. ( thats what the dietician said in my pre op courses)! Hope this helps and as everyone has stated it will resolve and get better.
Best wishes.

Back