• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss

Redh0ttie

My hair has started falling out like crazy! The thinning g is really starting to show. I know they said this would happen and that it would grow back, just don't know how long my hair is going to continue to fall out. I have been using women's rogaine for some time now and ever day I seem to lose more and more hair. Is anyone else going through this, or did you go through this? Do you have any advice for me?

Yup about 3 months post op this kicks in for most of us bypassers :(

Though to be fair it is more noticable to us than it is to most other people for a while.

Hope it slows down for you soon, It tends to start regrowing when our bodies begin to balance out a bit from the surgery.

Hair Loss!

The science bit...

It's pretty common to lose hair when dieting. Here's why...

Each
hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight
loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short
smile.gif

Normally around 10% of your head of
hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of
hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch.

Copied from here
Weight Loss, HairLoss and Low Carb - Low Carb if you want to read the whole article!

Hope that helps:)

There is more posts on this thread...

http://www.wlsurgery.com/other-wls-procedures/136575-hair-loss.html

my hair thinned quite badly, and i already have thin hair to start with ! I was starting to get a bald spot at the top of my head and had to start parting my hair differently as people were noticing. My doc advised me to start taking an extra zinc supplement in addition to my multivit, which i think really made a difference. I recently ran out and on my appointment with the dietician asked if it would start falling out again to which she said no, that the initial post op trauma phaze was over, so i could stop taking them. She was wrong ! It started falling out again and i wasn't imagining it (as many people often say lol) as a good friend was honest enough to confirm she could tell. So i'm back on the zinc and have noticed an improvement.
It may well be the placebo effect etc, but i'll definitely stay on it as its working, whatever the explanation !

Phew thanks Mini that explains a lot and thanks Jayne I'll get some zinc just for the extra boost! My hairs always been thick and now it's thin and whispy...

Back