• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss :(

lottie:)

I'm 6 months post op and the hair loss has started :(

It's been falling out for three weeks now ! I had really thick hair and now it is rediculously thin.

I'm taking biotin, priorin and supplements but nothing seems to be helping.

I'm so scared I'm going to be bald !!!! How long does it fall out for ?

Xx

Yep my hair is doing exactly this too and is soooooo dry & I haven't had the bypass yet!! Goodness knows what will happen when I do in 4month time :eek:
My hair is very fine but I have always had loads of it and it needed thinned every 8 weeks. Now there so much less of it :rolleyes: I'm hoping that increasing my protein will do the trick and stop the thinning.

I'm 6 months post op and the hair loss has started :(

It's been falling out for three weeks now ! I had really thick hair and now it is rediculously thin.

I'm taking biotin, priorin and supplements but nothing seems to be helping.

I'm so scared I'm going to be bald !!!! How long does it fall out for ?

Xx

Hi

Just don't panic! It stops, mine did exactly the same. It will naturally stop after the hormones have settled down. Keep up the protein rule 1st and you'll turn a corner - promise. My hair is in the best condition ever I lost 18 stone so I expected to have virtually no hair and loads of lose skin. My patients paid off, it turned out fine!

xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

This isn't something that I've encountered since having my band - I have long thick hair and although it does fall out I don't think its anymore than pre op.

I can understand why you're worried tho and hope that it does stop soon!

I'm losing hair 6 months post bypass. I take a hair, skin & Niall supplement, which has slowed it down a little. Somebody else recommended using elvive triple resist shampoo and conditioner. That seems to help too :)

I did not realize you can loose hair by having a band, I am only one week post op now I am getting worried.why does that happen x

I am wondering and this is just a thought......when I did Lighter Life I was told to expect a lot of hair loss due to being on a very low calorie diet and being in ketosis. Could it be the same with eating less than we are used to with the band? Talking of ketosis I'm freezing all the time currently which was also a sign on LL but I have not noticed any major hair loss recently.
Just a thought

It's just the calorie deficit. And like Paula I've tried lots of things which help but at a year out almost it still happens.

Save your money nothing stops the hairloss...you got to just ride it out.
I tryed perfectil,zinc,selenium,alepcin(shampoo)
Nothing stopped it...I have thin hair I didn't go bald.
Just made sure I had plenty protein to eat/drink.

My surgical team recommended sea kelp, couldn't keep the tablets down so gave up anyway my hair used to be thick and lovely, now it is thin. It keeps falling out 10 months post op but hopefully it will stop eventually. I think I would swap almost 12 stone for half a head of hair, as long as I don't get bald spots, which I don't think I will, I'm fine.

I'm pre-op and currently researching weight loss surgery.
I've been doing lots of reading about hair loss - there seems to be evidence that Zinc helps xx

It doesn't :) if your hair is going to fall out its goon to fall out and there's not a thing you Can do. about it.

Hi there
A
Quite a few people have used eqyssmegatek. Here are a few details and you can buy it on line. The smell and feel is nice so dont worry. Good luck it helped me but you do have to use instead of your normal conditioner. Stick with it it can take 3 to 4 weeks to notice big improvement.
EQyss Mega Tek is the "new" topical growth aid buzzing around the hair growing community and just like the 2 topical growth aids before them, I bought me some! (As I write this, I realize that I am a TGAJ - Topical Growth Aid Junkie!) Unlike the last equine product that I tried, Mega Tek smells wonderful! It is a conditioner (a VERY heavy protein conditioner) and it has a creamy consistency. Mega Tek is commonly used by cancer patients to regrow their hair and although it is an equine product, it is labeled right on the bottle that it is safe for humans. This review is what really got me excited about Mega Tek!! I have only been using it for 2 months now, but I SWEAR since my cut last month, my hair has grown an inch! The downside is, though, that I have never had this much shedding as a result of a growth aid...BUT it makes sense right? That if my growing phase is increased then I would reach my shedding phase faster. I do not use this product alone. I mix it with water (to make it last longer) and essential oils of rosemary and peppermint. I don't know what the actual "growing" ingredient is in this product - I suspect it is the keratin, but I do know that I have never been as excited as I am for a length check as I am now! Like Shapley's, EQyss has a "human" version of Mega Tek called Ovation Cell Therapy and the the price increase isn't as astronomical as it is with the Shapley's M-T-G to Sulu cost.

I have to be honest, though, the first month I used Mega Tek, I was not impressed with my growth. I can't be sure that my hair has grown an inch this past month, but I can definitely say that my hair is noticibly longer to my husband and me.

Magsy

The hair you see is essentially dead, it has a growth rate and a lifespan. So someone with a short growth rate and short lifespan will not grow really long hair. Your body is directing nutrients to the most needed areas, it has had a big shock! It has probably used up all it's stores needed for hair growth and needs to recapture them from what you put in. Nothing you put on the hair topically will assist in hair growth, but could help it be less dry/brittle and less likely to break.

Hi my hair fell out on lighter life, so I am expecting it to again. In fact I can tell it isn't growing and I am nearly 6 weeks post op as my grey hair had barely come through. The old hair is hanging on as the new hair has stalled.
I didn't go bald last time and don't expect to this time but I have had it cut short ready.. And it looks quite nice!
I believe if its going to happen then it will happen but it isn't for ever and it is a short term hit for a long term gain. However I may be saying things differently when it happens!
I keep wearing hats and plan to get some nice summer ones to.
My hair is fine so people will be able to notice. I can't stand the thought of taking anymore tablets daily so what will be will be x

I know that this is about hair loss, but mine has started growing back - so there is light at the end of the tunnel (fingers crossed it isn't a train coming towards me!) had a blow dry the other day at the hairdressers and it was so noticeable, I had to explain to the stylist why I had two lengths of hair as neither of us could ignore it.

I was really worried about mine when it was coming out, made worse by the fact it is long and dark so it seemed so much. I love my hair, but I adore better health and confidence so wouldn't swap.

If you are losing hair, remember it will come back after your body settles down. I know that isn't much consolation when it happens though x

"Zinc deficiency has been tied to hair loss in both animal studies and human cases. There is data linking zinc deficiency in humans to both telogen effluvium and immune-mediated hair loss. Zinc deficiency is a well-recognized problem after biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch, and there is some indication that it may occur with other procedures such as gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding. In 1996, a group of researchers chose to study high-dose zinc supplementation as a therapeutic agent for related hair loss2 in patients who had undergone vertical banded gastroplasty. The study administered 200mg of zinc sulfate (45mg elemental zinc) three times daily to postoperative patients with hair loss. This was in addition to the multivitamin and iron supplements that patients were already taking. No labs for zinc or other nutrients were conducted. Researchers found that in patients taking the zinc, 100 percent had cessation of hair loss after six months. They then stopped the zinc. In five patients, hair loss resumed after zinc was stopped, and was arrested again with renewed supplementation. It is important to note that in telogen effluvium of non-nutritional origin, hair loss would be expected to stop normally within six months. Since the researchers conducted no laboratory studies and there was no control group, the only patients of interest here are those who began to lose hair again after stopping zinc. Thus, we cannot definitively say that zinc would prevent hair loss after weight loss surgery, and further study would definitely be needed to make this connection." http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/09/19...atric-patient/

"Zinc deficiency has been tied to hair loss in both animal studies and human cases. There is data linking zinc deficiency in humans to both telogen effluvium and immune-mediated hair loss. Zinc deficiency is a well-recognized problem after biliopancreatic diversion/duodenal switch, and there is some indication that it may occur with other procedures such as gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding. In 1996, a group of researchers chose to study high-dose zinc supplementation as a therapeutic agent for related hair loss2 in patients who had undergone vertical banded gastroplasty. The study administered 200mg of zinc sulfate (45mg elemental zinc) three times daily to postoperative patients with hair loss. This was in addition to the multivitamin and iron supplements that patients were already taking. No labs for zinc or other nutrients were conducted. Researchers found that in patients taking the zinc, 100 percent had cessation of hair loss after six months. They then stopped the zinc. In five patients, hair loss resumed after zinc was stopped, and was arrested again with renewed supplementation. It is important to note that in telogen effluvium of non-nutritional origin, hair loss would be expected to stop normally within six months. Since the researchers conducted no laboratory studies and there was no control group, the only patients of interest here are those who began to lose hair again after stopping zinc. Thus, we cannot definitively say that zinc would prevent hair loss after weight loss surgery, and further study would definitely be needed to make this connection."
Source: http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/09/19...atric-patient/

Wow, look at that. Research I had already done. Took the zinc didn't make a difference. Please remember that of we're giving advice it's based on our experiences - if you want medical opinion ask the doc. If you want it from someone whose been there don't quote google back at them.

No need for rudeness. Based on your experience (one person) zinc doesn't work. But it might for others. Forgive me as you seem to know more that the Bariatric times publication - look at that ;-)

Back