• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hair loss

pandora

finding my way again !
Does everyone experience hair loss after bypass & how can you prevent or minimize it ? xx

Hi Pandy :D
I think everyone suffers hair loss. It's all to do with malabsorption.
and I don't think you can prevent it unless you have got a steady hand and a good tube of glue :D

ive heard that people up their zinc to try to minimise it, but its only temporary, so im told lol

Wendy is right, Cheryl ... seems to kick in around the 3 month period & most people report it is only for a few months. A bit like when you have had a baby but a different reward at the end, lol. I think it varies for everyone ... xx :):):)

I'm glad to hear its only temporary , phew ,my hair is very fine , I didn't really relish the idea of going bald hehe !

Me neither, not much to start with :D

I'm 4 months out and my hair has been falling out for the last 4 weeks or so. I think its slowing down now but my once thick hair is now a lot thinner which makes it easier to manage but its been a pain in the butt finding hair everywhere! I was like a moalting dog! x

hi i read some where people were using hair thickining shampoo and conditioner. i am sure there is a thred on here somewhere about it. hope that helps cheza. x x

Im 16 weeks post op and mine has started to "fall" out, but i havent noticed any differnce on my head, just that there is hair on my pillows and in my brushes alot more, but when you change ya diet or go on any strict diet your hair and nails are effected, my friend did cambridge and the same happened to her, but shes fine now and her hair is actually thicker and better now.

Dont worry hunnie xx

Coming from a hairdresser this happens because your body is sending all the nutrients from the little bit food we intake to where we need them most. Unfortunately our hair isn't one of them. It will slow eventually. :)

Yes Haylz I had it doing Cambridge too , my hairdresser said she knew I was on some weird diet lol

Mines been falling out since just after surgery & still going at 17wks some vitamins do help but as has already been said its the bodies reaction to our limited diets similar to post natal losses new hair is continuing to grow it just looks dramatic.

Don't want to tempt fate but mine hasn't started falling out yet :fingerscrossed:

The trailers say that tonight's Ch4 Food Hospital is featuring someone whose hair loss is helped by a change in diet. Might be worth a gander.

It really is the pits isn't it. Mine started at 5 months and I have dark hair and can see little bald patches. Definitely slowing down now though.

The product "Eqyss Mega Tek" has been recommended to me.

Its a product for "Horses" but if you look online you will see that its used by humans too, particularly chemo therapy patients. Its a conditioner and not something you take internally. Apparently fantastic for nails as well, as it can be used on Hoofs!

I have also ordered "Biotin" - it cant make the loss stop but it can make the new hair growth stronger.

I don't think its something that can be prevented as I take plenty of protein and all vits and minerals. It certainly is a bit of a shock when it happens and I never thought that I would be doing the "Bobby Charlton Comb Over" in my life time!!!!

Hi, hair needs protein so that is THE most important thing to keep up before and after your op. No matter what else you do - keep up your protein intake!
Protein shakes are a good option when you don't or can't eat. Try Myprotein who do sample satchets of their Impact Whey Protein before you commit yourself to a huge bag. I found the choc ones horrible but the fruit, vanilla and plain ones really good. Molkeprotein | Sportlernahrung | Ergänzungen | Bodybuildingergänzungen | Proteinergänzungen - Myprotein (Deutschland))
Remember to include your shakes in your calorie allowance ( or try adding Marvel to your milk to up your protein intake).

Solvazinc is recommended by a lot of sugeons but not prescribed. It is available online and it is recommended you take 3 a day but I only took 1 or 2 a day.

Biotin and Silica Complex are great for hair, nails and general recovery and are highly recommended on US forums - I take 1, sometimes 2 a day and they are available from Puritan's Pride UK site:
Discount Vitamins & Herbal Supplements from Puritan's Pride Puritan United Kingdom
I've seen similar products in Holland & Barret but havn't tried them.

I also used Kerastase Specifique shampoo which can protect your hair against breaking which for a lot of people is what is actually happening, the hair isn't falling out - it's breaking: Kérastase Spécifique: for specific scalp and hair concerns

I had a few weeks of really wierd fuzzy hair at about 3 or 4 months but apart from that, my hair has been fine and there's been no noticable loss.

Remember that what is happening to your hair at the present time is a result of what your body was going through months ago (thats why a lot of hair-loss happens at 3-6 months post-op) so keep your protein and supplements levels high through the pre and early post-op stages.

Best of luck. :) Biggy x

Last edited:
hi,

thanks my concern is that it started very early and has shown no sign of stopping....

i eat plenty of protein, including nuts (love brazil and pistachio) my weight loss is steady of 1lb per week and i have lost nearly 5 stone......

will look at the supplements you have suggested thanks x

when does it stop??? i take biotin, zinc and selenium along with all multi vits........

gutted!!!

I think its like the question, how long is a piece of string. !! Mine started with a vengeance at about 5/6 months. Its now about 7 months and it has definitely slowed. I think its just so shocking when such large clumps of hair are visible on the shower floor. It was also necessary to vac the bedroom floor much more often as the hair was so visible around my dressing table :cry:

But hey, we all know that it has to stop eventually and we are told it comes back thicker, so its not all bad.:D

Back