• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss

ceejay

Evening all...
I had my sleeve op 17 weeks ago, and all is going great. Weight loss is good, take medication religiously (including vits & hair and nails) and my fluid intake is good. However, I started to notice more hair coming out than normal around 3 weeks ago. Obviously I was hoping to get away with it, but not to be.
The thing is, how long does this last?
And can anyone offer help/tips to reduce this?
I use a detangling comb, John Frieda shampoo/conditioner for extra volume as well as a deep conditioning mask and I try not to fasten it back too often to reduce breakage. I have no apparent bald patches, but it looks a lot thinner all over and I don't want to have to have it cut.... :sigh:
Thanks in anticipation. :)

The answer to your question is there's nothing you can do to stop it..
All the prescribed medication from doctors or I bought myself stopped hairloss.
You just have to ride it out..
It stopped for me about 12 months or so out from surgery.

My GP prescribed Zinc and also Selenium as recommended by my team and I found that it has made a difference and if I get a bit lazy and stop taking them I notice within a couple of weeks. Obviously that's just my personal experience but prior to beginning them it was coming out in handfuls. Xx

I am 6 months out of bypass. My hair is very thin and I had to get it cut. I have found nothing that helps. Have just had to ride it out.

As above. I use Revitalize shampoo & I think this has helped as there is much less in the plug hole catcher. This shampoo is used for chemo patients too. It is expensive & you have to leave it on for 5 minutes. I also use a spray detangle leave in onditioner & a tangle tease brush. I did have my hair cut & my hairdresser cut it so I kept a bit of length but made it look thicker. I do not have any bald patches & it does seem to be getting much better. Good luck.

However, I started to notice more hair coming out than normal around 3 weeks ago. Obviously I was hoping to get away with it, but not to be.

I also thought I would be one of those lucky ones who would "get away with it" but exactly 3 months after the operation I started moulting like a cat really rapidly.

It has slowed down a bit now (nearly 6 months post surgery) and I am just living with slightly thinner hair (it used to be too thick and I used to pay hairdressers good money to thin it out for me -- not needed now, LOL!).

The body goes into shock at the time of the operation and hair takes about 3 months to grow ...... so bang exactly 3 months after the operation you start to notice.

I was chatting to my OH about this last night - I said to him if it starts to fall out I might have a complete change of style, a new me, new hair kind of thing?

It's horrible when your hair falls out, my sister's was dreadful when she did lighterlife, but it's temporary and hers is back to normal.

Hopefully it will settle down for you

xxx

Thanks to you all for your advice and support - this is a fab place!
Looks like I'm wasting money on expensive shampoos and conditioners, and maybe should save it all up towards a good new haircut.

Hey-ho... the weight loss is worth it!

As above zinc and selenium I also used biotin. Have stopped now, my hair has never been the same to be honest but I think it is very individual. Well worth it to be slim! X

Back