• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hardest point in my journey....

Mark01/05/2009

On my way................
Is now!!!

I didnt struggle on the little pre op diet I did, I found all stages of liquids, puree and soft solids easy to handle, I havent been sick, I havent had any pain, discomfort or any ill effects of my bypass, I can eat or drink anything now and dont dump badly, I have lost over 9 stone in weight and now wear clothes 5 sizes smaller than before on the bottom and 3 sizes smaller on top.... everything on the surface is going great....

However..........

I feel like I am being really unhealthy at the moment. I am eating wayyyyyy too many carbs in each meal, i am constantly grazing and when I am eating proper meals, im eating too much and too quickly, therefore making me overly full, bloated and nauseas (but am never sick)

I feel now that its the hardest point because the conflict between my head and my pouch is now there. This is something I have been worried would arrive and it has.

Im not eating pizzas, kebabs or chocolate like I used to, but ive had KFC, Greggs, Subway, Curry and loads of Wine within the last week or so....

I am scared I will slip gradually back into eating the old foods I used to, fair enough not as much, but still it doesnt bode well..........

I am still losing weight (2 pounds in the last week) but i just feel crap because i am eating crap!

I am also not taking all my multivitamins like I should and I havent been to the gym or out running for about a week.....

I just need a good kick up the ass! So if someone wouldnt mind giving me one, i would be extremely greatful............

I dont want to come across like I am moaning, i just hope people see that even at 7 months post op, it isnt all plain sailing and this shows how this op isnt a "quick fix" the effects of it and the life you lead after it, is permanent :)

Mark x

Kick_Santa.gif

looks like you got what u wanted Mark from Blue Diamond lol, but seriously as you said to me its the best thing you did so get back on track.

Mark, Im at the same stage as you and had a very similar pre and post op experience. I am getting cravings which come and go and have the same fears as you. I treat myself as if Ii was a diebetic so nothing overly sweet and have decided that takeaways are forbidden.Ttoday I squeezed into a pair of size 18 jeans which would have been nothing but a longing a year ago. Do you want to be slim or eat rubbish? This is the decision I made wnen I decided to have this op and so far so good. Unfortunately people like us cant have it all. Ddont ruin all the hard work you have achieved, not worth it. I can also reccomend a great hypnotherapist who will kill those bad habits.. PM me for details or if you want moral support.You will get through this.

Hi mark, i also am abit worried about the times ahead, like you i've had it pretty good up until now but i have noticed how much more i seem to be able to eat before being full. i have managed to stay away from junk food so far but i do have the odd treat, however what does scare me is going back to old habits as i know i could eat junk food with no come back so far my willpower is great but the future is a worry xxx

Mark as you I haven't really had any problems, but have been sick a fair few times, all my own doing though. However since being at college I have turned to bad habits to get me through. The food at college leaves a lot to be desired, and I still can't eat bread or pasta so am really limited. I either drink loads of lattes or I have a packets of crisps and/or a couple of biscuits. I have even had a tracker bar a few times.

There are several stages through out our wls journey where things are sent to try us, whether you be 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years post op. The important thing is that you recognise what you are doing and do something about it, not just carry on. You have recognised that you need to do something and have had the balls to post on here that you need help. Also others like myself have looked at you post and thought OMG thats me I need to sort myself out. Give yourself a kick up the jacksee and a firm talking too and know that we are all here for each other and am only on the end of a pm if you need anything.

Thanks everyone - having such support here really is valuable when you need it and it means a great deal :)

Given myself a good ass kick now and time to sort things out :)

Thanks Ladies and Gents xxx

Some really great advice there Mark.
I am pre-op so don't know how you are feeling but just wanted to say 'hang on in there'. You have done so brilliantly well and it is great that you are aware of yourself so much and are asking for help and not just letting it slide.
Good luck mate
Leanne x

How heavy is your girlfriend Mark? (I'm guessing not far off from how much you've lost?)

Pick her up & try to carry her around while your doing everyday activities... could you imagine having that weight back on & your body having to do EVERYTHING carrying that weight again??

I think of that when I pick up my 6 yr old son & I'm carrying 3 of him around every single second!!

Do what you know you should be doing! Kick up the ar$e duly given. xxx

Okay, so here it is...

KFC??? Mark, that is a no-no!!! Don't eat rubbish.

No exercise for a whole week, BAD BOY! Get off your butt and put down the junk food, it is time to kick those sneaky bad habits.

Skipping your supplements - why on earth would you do that? You seem in fine mental health but skipping your supplements is like trying to drive a car with no petrol, you'll end up in the garage needing service, I mean hospital!

<shakes finger very emphatically, gives serious 'mom' head shake and a you're-in-trouble-glare>

Okay, that is over. It happens, we all have our moments when we realize that we are drifting back to the old habits. How you overcome it and move past it is 1) recognition, 2) acknowledgement, 3) take responsibility. Looks like you have done all three so way to go! Even those with the very best intentions will faulter, however what we do about it is what is most important. Give yourself a pat on the back, I'll wait...

So now you start fresh, make some minor goals like going 5 days without a 'treat' or alcohol. Make yourself a promise about exercise. Then just get to it. You can do it, we are all here to support you/shout at you when you need it.

Well done so far and remember small failures make the small victories seem like giant ones so they have their special place in the overall picture. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have moments of weakness (raises hand, yep I fail all the time), WE ALL DO!

Hugs,
Nic:)

Such fantastic advice Nic.

Ditto to what FL just said!

Good luck Mark, if anyone can get back on track you can xx

Thanks again and Nic, a big thank you, I have had a good day today and been a good healthy boy! Leaving uni for the day now and going to the gym tonight :)

As for my vitamins, i have no excuse! Really got to make sure I take them and will do from now on :)

Thanks again everyone, huuuuugely appreciated xxxxxxxxx

Hi Mark Well miss bloody goody two shoes has arrived to put her two pennies worth in.
i honestly believe the only reason i havent struggled with any of the issues you are having mark is because i havent been willing to put the theory to the test.
I think i probably have quite an addictive personality so have gone through life never taking unnecessary risks in case i liked the effect and wanted more.
i have also applied the same theory to my bypass i have stuck to the rules and never had anything i shouldnt of done as i didnt want to find out if something made me dump or not.
i still only have carbs once a day but love my food and enjoy life to the full. I discovered early on the pressure of committing to the gym everyday etc makes you feel **** when you dont get there so again i removed the pressure and now just make sure that when i go out i park in the futherest place and walk as fast as my little old legs will carry me to get the same effect of the treadmill lol. Also as you know when i get the opportunity to go out im first and last on the dance floor.
I think the most important thing is that you recognise yr shortcomings and rather than pretending they dont exhist you are addressing them so it doesnt matter what anyone else says its all about you and sometimes in life i think we need to be selfish and focus 100% on ourselves to be able to be of use to others.
You will get throuhthis as you are one of the most in tune people i have ever come across.
Take today as a new day, a new start and focus on where you want to be not where you have been and what you have done.
take care hun
carole
xx

Thank you so much for this post Mark cos as you know your on my facebook and i read your status and Terris (looks at Terri queen of the Jacques with Vimto). I been reading about your forays around the german market having copious amounts of mulled wine and your little treats and thought 'oh right - it must be okay because Mark's doing it and he knows what he's doing, he's a successful wls patient..... Now i know your a naughty boy i can tell you off when you put things like this on, and no muffins at starbucks either young man! Oooh i like telling you off...

I just want to say for me really and i know its happened lots of times with me - i start a diet/healthy living plan and do really well and then the 'fat man' in my brain revolts and self sabotages me. No excuse except a weak resolve for me.

You've seen the errors of your ways and i can only commend you, you'll fix it and continue to be a success i have faith in you xx

Its a hard road Mark and temptation will rear its ugly head ..it does for me but I'm beating it back at the mo and you sound well able to do that too. I notice your op was private well a big thing that keeps me focused is to imagine that £10,000 in a heap in your garden and yourself just setting fire to it ...how would that make you feel..that's all it takes to keep me on track, that money was damn hard won I can't and won't see it wasted.

Glad to hear you're back in control

M

Things are definately back on track over the last 4 days and I intend to keep them that way! I am back to having 3 proper meals a day with any snacking being high protein snacking.....

I have also taken all my supplements as I should do :)

The comment above regarding the £10,000 i paid is a very valid one! I dont intend to waste that money lol

Im really pleased im back on track and am looking forward to weighing myself next week to get that "buzz" from seeing my weight drop :)

Thanks again everyone :)

Hey Mark just got round to reading this as you know im pre op so cannot comment really but just wanted to say hang in there mate, im routing for you, i know you can do it:)
Sounds like you had a better day, keep up the good work:)

Sharon

Back