• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HAS ANY ONE READ

BlueDiamond

Hello there, Sad story but has anyone read the daily newspaper about the woman who passed away from gastric bypass surgery? Only reason I have asked is because they are saying its related to her bypass when they say she died from Listeria, I thought that was causes this death related illness is foodbourne contamination ( I.E. Something she ate/drank) started it off. Can anyone shed any light on this at all , or am I barking up the wrong tree and thinking of something else. Thanks in advance BD. X

It is awful. It's also the most balanced article I've ever see. About wls from the mail.

So sad. Listeria is such a nasty bug to anyone bypassed or not. We nearly lost a family friend with it. She was a perfectly healthy 49yr old lady at the time. Fifteen years on she has a weakened heart and has kidney problems all because of it.
Thankfully it's rare

Just read the article, I work in microbiology at my hospital so can say with certainty that if the lady had the op in 2005 she wouldn't have picked up the infection then. You get it by eating food that has the bug in it. It mentioned going on exotic holidays so maybe she picked it up abroad or she could have picked it up in this country, cooked meat, soft cheese, salad all potentially have listeria. I must point out that most people who eat something with listeria in it WILL NOT become ill. It is usually people who have weaker immune systems that succumb to illness which can cause septicaemia and meningitis. Also pregnant women and their babies are vulnerable. This lady seemed to have nutritional deficiencies which probable contributed to her lowered immunity. Please don't worry!!! It is rare and is definitely NOT a risk at the time of the operation xx

It is a sad story, but an instant blame on the surgery because she'd happened to have surgery - surgery that was over 8 years ago.

Back