• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So....I went to the doctors today.....

To ask if he would give me slimming pills.

As i have not had them before, and i know i need to try them before being referred for wls i thought i would give them a go...you never know they may actually work for me.

So anyway, i asked for them and the doctor looked at me as if to say 'your wasting my time' and said i was only alowed them if i did weight watchers at the same time and i had to prove to him i was doing it and meeting the targets they set me by bringing all the paperwork with me.

I explained to him that i had done that diet before along with many others including slimming world, rosemary connelly, cambridge diet etc. He said i have to do it as he lost two stone on WW so knows it works!

Can he not tell just by looking at me that even losing 2 stone will not make a dent in the weight loss i need to achieve inorder to lead a healthier life? He didnt even ask to weigh me to see what i did weigh!!!

If i find it this difficult to get slimming tablets from my GP how hard will it be to get him to refer me for WLS?

oh hun, thats pants! My doctor was lovely and saw me once a week whilst I was sorting my head out on what to do! He recommend all sorts, and I chose to do cambridge diet

i was told something similar and was given a choice of slimming world , lets just say that the side effects of orlistat are not pleasant and you can not do orlistat and slimmng world with out the side effects lol

oh hun, thats pants! My doctor was lovely and saw me once a week whilst I was sorting my head out on what to do! He recommend all sorts, and I chose to do cambridge diet

I always thought he was a good gp - have been with him all my life and years ago when he had a bust up with all of the other docs in his practice he went solo and all the patients followed him.

Also this morning, I asked him to be tested for sleep apnea and he said no. I thought this was a serious condition and if i did have it would need treating. The only thing he could say about it was that all all overweight people will eventually get it! Thats why i was asking to be referred!

Errrr KN*OB!!! lol

Hi Lauren what a miserable sod he sounds ...

Firstly yes your right chances are you wont get funding for WLS if you have not tried Reductil or Xenical... Often reductil is not suitable if you have suffered mental health problems or have BP problems... NICE say you have to have tried everything to lose weight.. Diet wise you have so now it's time to give the pill's a bash and my GP hated them he mumbled about how much of a bloody waist of time and money they were said they had little success!

With he medication you have to lose so much weight within a certain period of time thats the conditions of prescription if you don't lose the set weight in the given time it is advised they stop prescribing... So hence they failed... next move WLS

Next time you see your Dr you just remind him that your showing commitment and willing and have acknowledged you need to do something about your weight.. You have tried and now you need some clinical support! So do has he says jump through his hoop's. He can think your not a suitable candidate for the medication but he will have to explain himself and he can't really refuse you a referral for WLS so don't let him upset and confuse you...

If he thinks your not a suitable candidate for medication then he should make a referral... Remind him this is more than about simply losing weight, it's also about loss maintenance we have all lost weight and sadly re-gain. Re gain is possible with WLS but you stand a better healthier chance with it than not doing anything at all...

Don't give you everything you said it right and I'd keep going on this and show him your commitment.

I wish you all the best of luck xx

change gp's hes complete DI*KHEAD !

Sounds like he hasn't had any for a while....

Definitely see another GP, its umsympathetic twats like this that made me change doctors.

YES ITS WORTH AN ASK

what an idiot
i am on xenical i have been for almost 4 years (what a waste of 4 years) oh and toilet roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have never been asked to also follow ww or sw, i have just been told to eat a healthy low fat diet. Which I do most of the time with my treats being a fri and sat night (come on I am not dead)
anyway after yo-yoing for all this time and not losing a good amount of weight my gp mentioned wls and I am on my way there.
So I jumped the diet and pills hoop (but it should have been picked up before 3 and a half years of taking xenical) i didnt even know wls was available on nhs (nor did i think i was fat lol) up until last may
so good luck - do what he says and if they work for you great they have not really worked for me but I know some people who have lost stones on reductil.
xxxx

Well that makes me cross!!! If he had a weight problem....which he must have had if he needed to do ww......then he must know how difficult it makes life. Why oh why couldn't he be more sympathetic.
Try a different one hun xx

lauren if i were you i would have a look at the bospa web site and see what yr PCT criteria is and also email nice for there info. i would then go back armed with the facts and ask hin to explain to you why he
1, wont support you in an appropriate manner to loose weight.
2, explain why if the bospa web site are recommending WLS why he wont .
you are trying to be proactive he should be supportive.
good luck
hc

Thanks everyone for your supportive replies. I feel better about it now and will keep trying and move gp's if i eventually feel it is necessary.

lauren if i were you i would have a look at the bospa web site and see what yr PCT criteria is and also email nice for there info. i would then go back armed with the facts and ask hin to explain to you why he
1, wont support you in an appropriate manner to loose weight.
2, explain why if the bospa web site are recommending WLS why he wont .
you are trying to be proactive he should be supportive.
good luck
hc

Hopelescase - i think you have misread. i have not yet asked for wls. i was asking for slimming pills as i have not yet tried them. Having said that-is there any recomended criteria for taking slimming pills?

Does anyone know?

lauren with yr bmi bepending on your pct's criteria you may not have to do the slimming pills. i didnt have to do them never have tried them. just got refered foe weight management and when i got there told that the only thing they would do was a bypass. that was in june and had my bypass in november so its worth checking.

id move dr's tbh need one that will work with you not against you and the sleep apnea thing is total twaddle iv weighed over 22 stone for most of my adult life and not had it and no lots of others the same if you think you may have it it needs to be diagnosed good luck and dont forget orlistat is going to be available without prescription soon so maybe try it that way

Back