• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi, I'm new & have been referred by my gp to Heartlands Hosp - Martin Richardson

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
Hello everyone :)
I joined this forum last night and spent hours and hours reading through the threads last night and this morning.

I went to see my GP last Friday and they sent a letter off Monday 8/6/09 for wls (gastric band) with Martin Richardson at Heartlands Hospital. I was hoping it was going to be with Mr Super as I have read many good things about him but can't seem to find anything about Mr Richardson. :confused:

I have a BMI of 48.1 and I am 10 stone over weight :( I have a underactive thyroid and I am on thyroxine but this is no excuse for being over weight! I have the usual joint problems which are getting worse by the day and is now in my back and I find it hard to walk for long periods. A few weeks ago I thought enough is enough and made the appointment with my doc & nurse. I've tried all diets going as well as slimming pills and wls is my last resort :cry:

I need to shed this weight for me. I need to feel healthier and be able to walk a flight of stairs without gasping for air!

Is there anyone on here that has had surgery at Heartlands with Mr Richardson?

I think my PCT is East Birmingham (Heartlands Hosp) or do they go by the area I live which would mean Solihull?

Thank you for taking your time in reading my blubber :eek:

Last edited:
hi jezabelle wecome to minis
you will find this site full of advice and are a very friendly lot your in good company so ask away plenty of advice will be forth coming all the best on your weight loss journey
regards rambo

Welcome to minis it is a great place with plenty of advice everyone is really friendly. Anything on your mind just ask and someone is bound to help. Good luck on your weight loss journey and take care.

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the site. You'll find that an awful lot of us have an underactive thyroid so you're in good company! Good luck with your weight loss journey - hopefully someone from Solihull will be along soon to clarify your PCT and tell you what the procedure is....Zxx

Hi there. My GP is also referring me to Heartlands hospital. Apparently where you are sent is determined by where your PCT has contracts with.

hi Jezabelle

I have just over a week to wait for my operation at the Heartlands hospital; I am both nervous and excited at the same time.

It is not helping that my mother-in-law is trying to change my mind for me.

The only advice I can give is to be careful who you inform and who you don't, and make sure the timing is right to inform them, as I wish I had not told my inlaws.

Hi Helen and welcome to Minimins :)

It's so nice to actually find someone that is just about to have the band fitted at Heartlands? It is the band or is it a bypass? Who is your sugeon and how long did you have to wait from your gp referral to see the surgeon? Did you have to go to weight management clinic?

I am already wishing I hadn't told certain people. The 1st thing they asked was I getting it done for free or paying for it :( I would actually pay for it if I could afford to go private. I have to bite my lip now about who I tell, I don't think any other people need to know now and those I have told may just forget (I hope).

Hi Helen
Welcome to the site hun .Your right about telling people I just told my family just in case something went wrong and I told a few friends . I didn't tell the in laws well out laws now because I`m split up from my ex and their are all skinny and wouldn't understand . They just see a happy fat person and I`m not happy like this . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

Welcome Jezabelle & Helen. This forum is great. Everyone is so friendly. I've told my friends and my clients (I'm a beauty/holistic therapist) but the only family I have told is my sister & brother - I haven't told any of the inlaws. Everyone is being very supportive.:jelous:

I have told everybody and told most people before my op and the people that I had problems with didn't understand why I needed it or what was involved. Since my op these very same people have seen the difference in me and have now realised that this is definately the right thing for me.

I made the decission to tell people because how fast weight loss can occur with a bypass I didn't want people to think I was seriously ill or think I taking some sort of drugs to lose weight.

Back