• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone regretted surgery afterwards?

Sar2567

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this surgery does not save lives and totally support people to stay on the right track, I just wondered if anyone regretted having such drastic surgery?

I am having real problems with keeping blood levels stable. I am low in everything it seems and because of that, although I am more mobile, I am physically disabled, I still have absolutely no energy and very low in mood. My gp is useless and I have started to dump on almost everything I am eating, which isn't a lot anymore. I had half jacket potato and beans and dumped on tht today! Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to stop eating or be afraid to eat as so aware I don't feel hubgry any more.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down hun. Are you by any chance taking Tramadol for your pain? I only ask as when I take it my appetite really suffers and I'm full after a couple of bites. I try to avoid it because of this (plus it makes me stoopid lol !).

Hi

Nope never regretted it for one moment.

Only ever dumped once when I had a cup of Horlicks which I found out after wards had 12 grams of sugar in, and Ovelten is even higher at 24 grams per cup.

I can also eat almost what I like but just in smaller quantities.

My health has also drastically improved as well and I am off a large number of pills that I had been on for years, no longer taking meds for acid reflux, no longer have sleep apnoea, pain meds have been drastically reduced as well.

I have had to spend a fortune on new cloths though as I dropped about 2 inches every month, I have gone from a 44 inch waist to a 36 inch waist in 7 months.

So,for me no regrets, well only one and that's I wish I had it done years ago

Paul

I have started to dump on almost everything I am eating, which isn't a lot anymore. I had half jacket potato and beans and dumped on tht today! Anyone have any ideas?

I had similar problems recently, dumping on almost all food (I am a sleever who dumps) ..... and I tracked my problem down to a change in medicines from one type of Lansoprazole to another ..... switched back to the original type and dumping problem solved (well solved in that I can now eat "ordinary" foods again like the jacket spud and beans you mention, altho a few other high sugar foods will always cause me to dump).

I had similar problems recently, dumping on almost all food (I am a sleever who dumps) ..... and I tracked my problem down to a change in medicines from one type of Lansoprazole to another ..... switched back to the original type and dumping problem solved (well solved in that I can now eat "ordinary" foods again like the jacket spud and beans you mention, altho a few other high sugar foods will always cause me to dump).

I dump too Sharon, and a majority of other sleevers I know dont. BTW your looking fab!

Some days I do regret having surgery because of the stormy ride i had with the leak, internal bleeding, septecaemia and all the other poopy I wont bore u with.. but then I look at the quality of life I had before. I wasnt living. I was like the living dead, scraping through the regular drivel daily by the skin of my teeth.

My journey has made me a stronger, happier and healthier person. Ok Im still having issues, now im B12 and Iron defficient, blacked out or whatever the hell it was at work and trying to resolve why, but Im alive :) I can run, I can jump, I can buy most clothes I like. I scrub up pretty well these days, and Ive even had a few compliments from a man or two and I feel like a teenager again! Im finally living and loving every moment.

Theres alot of foods I cant eat because I dump or bring them back up. Others give me excrutiating pains so I just avoid them. Sometimes i miss them sometimes I dont.

This week I went to a carvery with 3 friends who also had surgery. I was dreading it as I dont eat alot compared to others. When I had 2nd, 3rd and 4th corrective surgery my sleeve was reduced in size. We all had a kids carvery meal, everyone cleared their plates, I had less on my plate and left most of it. When the waitress cleared the table i got asked if there was a problem with the food as Id left it and I had a moments embarassment. i got over it and one of the guys i was with explained I just cant eat much and it was fine. Its days like that where I wish i could flip a switch every now and then and have a good decent meal, then flip it back.

Then I realise Ive been blessed with a second chance at life and its a penance to pay and on the grand scheme of things, its nothing and worth it. Id surely be dead by now if I hadnt had my surgery

Miss Tickle said:
Sorry to hear you are feeling down hun. Are you by any chance taking Tramadol for your pain? I only ask as when I take it my appetite really suffers and I'm full after a couple of bites. I try to avoid it because of this (plus it makes me stoopid lol !).

No tramadol for me, I am on permanent morphine now and fentanyl patches. I was asked if any of my mess had changed and strangely enough thinking about it one of them has about 2 weeks ago! Suddenly huge too, will see if I can go back to the other brand. Thanks for the suggestion.

No regrets here despite problems I've had. Due for dilation & endoscope 5 Nov. having eating problems. I don't dump but can't hardly eat anything. Never hungry but keep protein up with protein shakes , high protein soups & pro shots. Maintain vits & minerals & keep 'regular'. My bloods etc all OK so apart from nutritional status I 'm doing fine, can now walk & even run (was crippled with sciatica & high blood pressure ), loving my sleeve & my new wardrobe.

Back