• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Last nite I regretted my bypass :(

Andrea73

Last nite I was on a works nite out for drinks and an indian restaurant. There was 4 of us and we ordered two starters between us but I just had a tiny bit. Main course I stuck to a lamb dish and just had a couple of spoonfuls. I did have a couple of glasses of wine though and have been told previously that its ok to drink wine whilst having the meal.. This is the only exception to eating and drinking at the same time. Any as the nite went on I felt really ill and got really hot.

I really felt that I regretted getting the bypass done at this point. I do really struggle drinking now cos I just don't like the feeling on not being in control.

Has anyone else felt like this. Am I just having a bad day??

sorry angela i dont drink and dont miss it hun, i didnt want to read and run..............
i am 4/5 weeks post op my only prob is i stil;l get craving for naughty things x

Sorry to here this Andrea bet you were in a real state.
My surgeon told me to not drink alchohol for the 1st year but i know its hard to do that and ill probably have a few sips of wine in April when its my birthday, ill have to see.

I cant really help with anything else love but im thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better now. xxx

I hope you feel better now Andrea, Im not a big drinker but I enjoy a drink now and again. I havnt had one yet since surgery but I will be having one and when I do I hope I enjoy it and dont suffer like you did! XX

Well i'm now nearly 16 months out but my reaction to alcohol is very sensitive to say the least!! I really can't believe how ill I felt and don't know whether it was the drink or the food or a combination on them both. There has been times where I have drunk before and I've been fine so just goes to show how things change after a bypass. Don't ever want to feel like that again.

Like you say, there doesnt seem to be a pattern with lots of things post-op. Sometimes you can eat something one day and the next it will make you ill...I guess after 16 months its still a learning curve :D XX

sugga said:
Sorry to here this Andrea bet you were in a real state.
My surgeon told me to not drink alchohol for the 1st year but i know its hard to do that and ill probably have a few sips of wine in April when its my birthday, ill have to see.

I cant really help with anything else love but im thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better now. xxx

Omg did they. They never said anything to me and I've drank. Oops. :/

i cant remember if i was told 6 or 12 months, but i dont drink now anyway, so it dosnt make any difference, the nearest i come to it, is having the very very occasional coffee with a bit of baileys in, my auntie bought me a big bottle of it for christmas, and so far ive had about 3 coffees with literally a lid full of baileys in, the bottle is still full, lol, itll still be there next christmas. lol

I have to say i've never heard of anyone being told it's okay to drink with food, either alcohol or non alcoholic. I have of course heard people have been told not to drink on an empty stomach because bypass or not drinking on an empty stomach is a bad idea.....

Are you sure it was the wine and not the food? Indian food can be quite high in fat, as we all know when we take a takeaway home and see the fat floating on the top...

Either way i hope it doesn't happen again, you were obviously blessed with an extremely sensitive tum xx

I also thought it was not a good idea to drink and eat at the same time, with any kind of weight loss surgery.

Also if you take the fat in the takeaway and the sugar in the wine, maybe that was the cause...

I think it was probably a combination of the meal and the alcohol. Don't think I could stomach another drink to be honest. And the fact that I was pre-menstrual didn't help as I get really bad PMT :(

Thanks for your replies though

As long as your okay now Andrea, that's the main thing xx

the bypass is a weird and wonderful thing isn't it. never the same 2 days in a row. I defo decided alcohol isn't for me though.

Back