• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has everyone had to have an Endoscopy?

I was just wondering if everyone has had to have an Endoscopy before their operations?
I am absolutely terrified and am truely Endoscopy phobic !
If I have to have it, then I will just have to go for it but, I was on another forum and some people didn't have an Endoscopy before op.:confused:

I didn't.
I think it depends on your surgeon

Thanks for the reply, I live in hope that I wont either!
I did tell the registrar I saw a couple of days ago about my fear/phobia in an attempt to make her feel sorry for me and not make me do it !!
But, I do have a small Hiatus Hernia, I assume this will need a quick repair at same time as Op....so, I am not sure if Mr.Botha will do that without an Endoscopy first as it was discovered by a Barium meal test. Ho Hum !!

I did, and it wasn't pleasant but I'm very glad I did because they discovered my hiatus hernia, gastric ulcer and gastritis which was h.pylori positive! So I can't pretend it was very nice but I had no idea I had anything of the sort wrong with me. I had my hernia repaired when I got banded and my gastritis sorted by a short course of antibiotics.

Well i dont know what one of these are or what they do but i know i never had one lol

Ohhh poor you :wave_cry: I have a fear of the mask :eek: Not all hospitals insist on endoscopies ... I am in Sheffield & have not had to have one but I am sure someone attending your hospital will be able to advise you more accurately xx

Thanks ladies, nobody else on this board is at St.Thomas' in London, so can't ask anyone who has been there....time will tell. I will ask outright when I get my pre-assessment appointment, which should be in the next 3-4 weeks.

I didn't have one either thank God as, like yourself, I am really phobic and they would have to drag me kicking and screaming :D

I didn't have one either thank God as, like yourself, I am really phobic and they would have to drag me kicking and screaming :D

'Glad' it's not just me who's so very phobic of this procedure, was starting to feel a bit silly as other people have been so brave and had it done.:eek: x

Thank you Twinkle...I wish I would face this fear; I'm not frightened about the Gastric sleeve operation , just this, possible, hurdle. If I have to do it, then I will.:(

Never worry about having a phobia. They can come quickly or they can have been there for years. My abject fear of spiders has been with me all my life and to be honest I never know wether to be sick or be relieved to find that Josie (my little Welsh Terrier) pounces on them and eats them (shudder).

My terror of an endoscopy came about suddenly when I accompanied DH when he had to have one about five years ago. I thought he was dying with the horrible sounds that came out of him (I was just outside the door) and even he assured me that it was just uncontrollable burping. Put me off for life and honestly, they would have to completely knock me out if they wanted to do that to me (if they could catch me first) :D

Back