• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has my liver shrunk?

christinemarie

Ok so random question, has anyone's surgeon ever commented on the size of their liver after their op?
It just came to me that after spending two/four weeks of our Pre Op lives obsessing over... If I can have sweetener in my tea?, does thin ham, mean this thin? Or are my yoghurts exactly the right weight? That I may never know if this diet has worked well, will my surgeon definitely notice the difference?
I know it shows your level of commitment and prepares you for the restrictions of life after the surgery and I am in no way trying to belittle the need for it, I genuinely just wondered if anyone on here has had a comment or even compliment on the results of the diet?
Sorry for my weird question x

I think its more a question of, has any surgeons refused to go ahead with an op due to non liver shrinkage, and the answer is a big fat yes, I think its something we all worry about I stuck to my milk/yog diet apart from 1 absently minded lick of my finger when making o/h work sarnies lol, my surgeon didn't mention my liver but my op went ahead so I presume all was good.

Yes, it was on my medical notes, and many surgeons do mention it.

The first thing I asked when I woke was "was my liver ok"...yes I was told it was small and pink..lol
It's a worry for us all x

When my surgeon came to see after my operation, he said that I was the first patient that he had not had to lift my liver with a retractor because it had shrunk so much with the pre op milk diet, that ment I didn't have to have the five incisions only four. I was told to do the milk diet for two weeks pre op but did a extra week because i was scared it wasn't going to work, the surgeon said I could start it early if I wanted to, as some people do it for a month sometimes. ( i work in the operating theatres where I had my op, so hence bumping into the surgeon and him saying about the milk diet)

I asked my surgeon after my operation on her first ward rounds and she told me my liver was excellent and was small , best thing I heard after 4 weeks of the LSD!

Thank you! I have had the odd lick of my finger which having a two year old and testing temperatures on everything but I have been 100% on the diet, that I was given.
But since reading how many people are on the milk diet I worry that what I am doing is not enough and maybe I should swap to the milk one? Has anyone tried both diets or would that put me back all together?
Hopefully all will be well as people have said everyone worries about it x

Thank you! I have had the odd lick of my finger which having a two year old and testing temperatures on everything but I have been 100% on the diet, that I was given.
But since reading how many people are on the milk diet I worry that what I am doing is not enough and maybe I should swap to the milk one? Has anyone tried both diets or would that put me back all together?
Hopefully all will be well as people have said everyone worries about it x

So long as you are following your providers guidelines I'm sure it will work :)

My lsd was a food version and i worried all the time that it wasn't going to have the desired affect or at least the same affect as the milk diet..... but it did the trick perfectly............ so as everyone above says as long as you follow the instructions you've been given your be just fine..... i think it was the first question as asked when i came round lol unfortunately my surgeon was a man of few words lol my notes contained sketches only LOL gl hun x x

It was the first question i asked! It was a big worry of mine as my weight dropping indicated that my liver was shrinking. My surgeon said i had done a good pre o diet. Its important to stick to it for safety reasons!

I found the milk diet easier actually as there was no issue of quantities

I had a food version LSD too. Between 800-1000cals a day

I was worried that I wouldn't do it or my liver would shrink enough but I stuck to it like a religion.

The fear of my op not going ahead really gave me willpower... Even did a week extra lol, to be safe :D

As long as you follow the guidelines, you'll be fine. xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I haven't eaten solids since April 2013. It's amazing what you can get used yo if you need to. I stopped dreaming about food a couple of years ago.

Milk has been my staple to keep me alive :)

I haven't eaten solids since April 2013. It's amazing what you can get used yo if you need to. I stopped dreaming about food a couple of years ago. Milk has been my staple to keep me alive :)
That is amazing ThinnerJemima it's really funny but milk is the thing that I miss the most on my 800-1000 calorie diet! I used to drink loads of milk, but on my diet I'm only allowed 200ml a day. Which I think is crazy because I'm allowed an unlimited amount of diet fizzy drinks, which I have been told on wls that I won't be able to tolerate after my op! I'm sure there is a reason for it all but it's all very confusing at the moment x

That is amazing ThinnerJemima it's really funny but milk is the thing that I miss the most on my 800-1000 calorie diet! I used to drink loads of milk, but on my diet I'm only allowed 200ml a day. Which I think is crazy because I'm allowed an unlimited amount of diet fizzy drinks, which I have been told on wls that I won't be able to tolerate after my op! I'm sure there is a reason for it all but it's all very confusing at the moment x

I was allowed Diet fizzy drink on my pre-op diet but chose not to have any and I haven't touched a drop since (dont miss it at all)

You can't have any fizzy drink after the op due to the gases in the fizz, tricking you into thinking your full and you arent. There is also the risk of the gasses expanding your stomach. xx

Back