• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

liver shrunk enough

chinsaway

hi everyone, i'm having my bypass next thursday and wanted to know if, before the op, do they do some kind of xray/test to tell if the liver has shrunk enough?

As far as I know the only way they know is when they open you up....if the livers too large it can make the op more dangerous and theres a chance they would abandon the op .....if youve stuck to the pre-op diet theres nothing to worry about :D XX

I understood the same as Jacqui, the diet is designed for a good reason and it helps both the surgeon to complete the operation and it's best for you too... good luck, love and hugs xxx

But if you've been a very bad pre opper now is the time to claw it back by being saintly :) You can do it xx

they can tell when they go in, they can tell if you have cheated or not, the liver needs to be small for the op to be done more easily, if you have stuck to then pre op diet it will be fine x

The risk is that they won't be able to do the operation as keyhole surgery and might have to go open - which can mean a longer period of healing. It's worth doing your best to shrink that liver.

have to agree with everyone else.. with both my bands, i had no xray or anything of the sort, just like everyone else said..they only know when they open you up...could mean the difference between keyhole, or opening you up to do the op..or even abandoning the surgery all together, which is not that uncommon.... hope you stuck with it..its hard work but it worth it, good luck x

They can only tell when they do the first few keyhole cuts and put the camera in if your liver is small enough for them to do the op safely.
Stick to the pre-op hun and you'll be fine, it may seem like hard going but you have to think of the great prize at the end of it - the amazing surgery that's going to give you a new and exciting life!
Take care hun and best wishes to you xx

Had to reply to you,
As I had sleepless nights of... what if???
I was convinced I had not done good enough on my post op diet,I had to do it for 4 weeks, and time of op I had lost a stone or so,
Don't worry just stick to it,it's so worth it x

well i stuck to the pre op diet, and my liver was still quite large, but they were still able to do the op by keyhole, when i spoke to the surgeon, he told me that sometimes the liver doesnt shrink, but dont worry about it hun, as i was worried sick they wouldnt be able to do the op if my liver hadnt shrunk, but the dr said he has only ever had to postpone an op once do to the liver being over sized but it is very very rare for them not to do the op, it just makes it harder to move the liver out of the way if it is to large but not impossible,

enlarged Liver

I also did the low cal/ low carb/ Low fat diet for 16 days pre-op and I lost 10Llbs, but after the operation my surgeon told me my liver was still very large and had nodular transformation. She suggested it could be cirrhosis (I am T-Total) or Non-Alcoholic Steato-Hepatitis (NASH)

I was quite concerned when surgeon told me this, but was adviced it could be down to all the medication I have been on for diabetes (type2) I was taking more than the maximum reccomended dose for almost 2 years:cry: Also edited to add, it is common with people like me who have "metabolic syndrome" an umbrella term for collection of obesity related issues.

Surgeon re-assured me that it will improve with weight loss:D.

My operation wasn't cancelled or stopped, It just made it difficult for the surgeon and I feel really bad about this. Especially as my surgeon (Ms Heitmann) was so lovely and is now my hero!

Last edited:
yikes. i have to have blood tests every year to check that my medication hasn't damaged my liver. Hope that doesn't mean I'm going to be one of those with a big liver at op time too.

Back