• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

have i done any damage??

kaylayche

i had my band fitted on the 26th and ive been okay generally till yesterday. my cousin asked me to go shopping with her. i didnt refuse as it was going to be good exercise going up and down the mall. :D you see, i come from a very judgemantal family and have not informed my family and friends of my surgery. i dont even plan of telling them in this life!! everything was fine till it was time to feed the kids. my original plan was a happy meal for my daughter but to my surprise, McDonalds was closed due to refurbishment. the only place we could go was nandos!!
i ordered for my daughter. my cousin was questioning and asking why i wouldn't eat, so to shut her up, i ordered mushy peas and a chicken. i only had four bites(i did give in a good chew though) and left d rest. since then, ive not felt hungry(its been like twenty four hrs) and im disturbed that ive messed things up as am not meant to have chicken for d first three months. ive been in tears and im too afraid too call my surgery provider....

I had a bypass not a band so may be wrong in my advice but here goes for what its worth. If you're not in pain, not feeling sick & able to cope with liquids you should be fine. I'd stick to high protein liquids, soups or milk based, just because you don't feel hungry doesn't mean don't eat try the liquids & relax. But any problems don't hesitate to call your provider they won't not help they've probably heard it all before so don't panic.

Oh dear, if you are adament about not telling people you have to come up with strategies for coping with this type of situation.

No one can tell you if you have done any harm - only your provider can do this. As you are aware eating meat until 3 months + out is not advised for a good reason.

Please ring your provider just to check xx

Call your provider, just to put your mind at rest. As for ordering to shut your cousin up - Couldn't you have just said you had a 'dodgy tum' or something?.

Ohh no ones told me u can't eat meat for 3 months after a band ???

nobody told me i couldnt eat meat either, just was adviced to eat minced meat, but if u chew chicken etc really well and have tiny bites surely its ok? Ive had chicken and I was fine, hope I havent done damage like :/x

Just double checked my diet sheet from my hospital and it defo says you're allowed meat if u chew well,I'm sticking to what that says x

Right, lets get this in perspective, the original poster is two weeks post op and has been to Nando's. I dont eat meat but I'm pretty sure that they dont serve minced meat. Also MOST post op banders are on liquids only for two weeks. Followed by sloppy / mushy food for another two weeks. Unminced meat prior to three months out is not advised as it is difficult to digest.

The OP was advised (as was I) not to eat chicken as in breast of for the first 3 months. This is why she was concerned she may have done some damage.

If any of you have been advised that meat, minced or otherwise is fine 2 weeks post op then I would be suprised BUT you must always follow your post op advice given by your provider.

If you haven't please double check, even a small bit no matter how well chewed could get stuck and cause you problems.

thank you for your replies. i will call my provider first thing tomorrow.

Mazza is right my sheet says no meat till 3 months minced and I'm with the THG I'm 6 weeks post op and I have eaten some very thin wafer ham but I'm not a big meat eater , if your worried give your provider a ring too put your mind at ease , but to be honest I wouldn't worry too much as had u slipped your band etc I'm sure you would know about it as it is very painful , take it as a lesson and move on and enjoy living with your new diet buddy , good luck xxxx

Thank you snack but I'm not trying to be right or wrong.

Kaylayche was advised not to eat chicken for 3 months and said so in her original post, so was I.

If you'd damaged something, you would most likely know. My doctor said that the symptoms are very dramatic. If you can drink and aren't in pain then most likely you're fine. Don't push it because next time you might not be but you should be good for now.

I'm in the same situation as you, I'm not telling anyone, it's nobody's business but my own. Don't be afraid to say "I just don't want anything" or "I'm not hungry". It's your body and you do what you want with it. If they push, tell them to leave you alone. You're allowed to have your own feelings and make your own decisions.

Your body has taken a battering having this band. Your insides have been cut, prodded and pushed around and need time to heal. By pushing 'hard' foods through your band is just going to delay the healing process and make 'normal' eating take even longer. Providers are all different, but i bet 99% of them say at least liquids / mushies for 12 weeks!

Its hard as a newbie to get your head round the difference between a well chewed chicken breast and mashed potato as in your head both are mushy when going down, but as you get more experienced you will see there is a massive difference and i still cannot understand this myself. Even now, a well chewed bit of chicken will get stuck, so i fetch it up, unyet the next bite maybe mash and it goes down fine.

Mazza is right...always listen to your provider:-
1) they are the experts
2) if you dont listen to them and heaven forbid something goes wrong, they wont and cant be held responsible so wont fix the problem

Dont rush this healing process, i know its hard, but its a small amount of time in comparison and your body needs to recover.

Good luck

Back