• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Head vs physical hunger

mizkirsty

How's does everyone deal with head hunger - or decide if it's head or tummy hunger. Today all I've bought about is food. But I don't think I've felt physically hunger - or at least my tummy hasn't rumbled!! The day started fine. Is this old habits die hard or am I hungry hahaha! Bc I can't tell! I think it's head!!! :( xx

I only know I am full when I feel the pressure in my stoma.

But I also do not think I feel hungry most of the time unless I do not eat for a whole day.

I do get cravings for food, but I think that is more the head hunger talking.

As for tummy rumbling, mine does it all the time.

Ditto to all of that, I started a similar thread a few days ago! Sorry I can't help but seems to be quite normal :)

For me, I felt head hunger for the first couple of months after the op. Since then it's gone completely. When I was able to start on solids again, my head wanted to nom all the usual stuff. After experiencing instant vomiting, pain and dumping I soon learnt not to listen to my head lol It was more the types of food I wanted rather than the amount or eating for the sake of it though.

Now, I rarely feel true hunger at all. Most of the time it's thirst! I've found that my body just doesn't want to accept the food if I don't need it and I bring it straight back up again. Sounds gross so apologies :/ Once, you learn what you can tolerate and what your body likes it'll help lots!

Not really sure I've helped much but Im 13 months post bypass now and it's the norm :)

For me honestly speaking more of my eating is head hunger. Which unfortunatly has been a huge obstacle in my weight loss.

Oddly body hunger has less effect on me, so I can feel physically hungry but wait it out or delay eating till it's convenient. But when my head tells me I want food (which is generally junk food) I have to have it then and nothing else will satisfy me.

The clear distinction between head and body hunger. Is if you are thinking "ummmhhh what should I eat. What do I fancy." You're not really hungry.

When your stomach feels empty or starts rumbling then your body needs food.

If you eat regularly with filling foods you will generally not feel hungry then it makes it easier to not be controlled by hunger cues.

Head hunger is a booger. Sight hunger too. On this holiday I just want a bit if everything on my plate and don't want to stop eating :-(

I am actually rarely physically hungry now I think low carving prevents you getting hungry and helps with the cravings too

But I have been physically hungry this week because I'm having carbs in the alcohol and craving some stodgy food I would never touch at home

Back