• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heartburn -- stress or hernia?

borogirl

Hi
I will be getting my surgery in Feb / March at Sunderland. During an gastroscopy they discovered I had a hernia, so I am down to get a sleeve but may end up with a bypass.
I have been very stressed with work of late and I am crippled with heartburn, think its the hernia. I never had any symptoms until I had the gastroscopy.
I mailed before and I know a sleeve is still possible. Its so uncomfortable! I am taking Lanzoprazole? At least its stopping me snacking on a night x:wave_cry:

aRE YOU WAITING AN HOUR BRFORE EATING AFTER TAKING IT? CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE, I HAD SITES OF GASTRITIS AND A TINY HERNIA BUT STIL HAD BYPASS SAID HERNIA WOULD BE BYPASSED SO WOULD BE NO PROBLEM AT ALL. XX

Hi maybe I am taking it too early at 7am? I do wait over an hour for breakfast. Can you takeover than 1 per day? X

Speak to your gp I had the think it was 30mg tablet but there are smaller doses ask the gp and he may be able to suggest what to do xx

I've been told that the Sleeve's not possible with gastric reflux. Sunderland's MDT want me to have bypass as I had one incident with reflux last year. So confusing....

I had Lansoprazole - one 15mg tablet twice a day, 30-60 mins before eating. It took almost to the end of the prescription before the symptoms eased. With the balloon I was suposed to have one 30mg tablet each day, but GP kept me on the 15s. I took one before breakie and before evening meal as I could go back to bed for half an hour, or drive home from work, before eating.

Hi I cant believe before my op I am now getting symptoms for the first time in my life of acid and heartburn! I will go back to docs re tablets and how many I need to take. Do you think I should ring the bariatric nurse and make her aware as I am down for a sleeve? Dont want to delay my surgery thou which should be Feb or March!!!

It might be worth while letting the nurse know - if they know in advance they might keep the date but do a bypass instead... It could just be stress you know, if you've not had it before - all this waiting and excitment churns you up. Another thing to look at is are you taking any other meds that could be causing it? Fluoxetine tends to give me painful indigestion as soon as I take it - its like it gets stuck or something.

I had a balloon inserted 7 weeks ago and have had terrible heartburn since, as well as the feeling sick. The sickness has subsided, but been replaced with the heartburn and terrible trapped wind. I take the 30ml tablet in the morning 30 mins before anything to eat or drink, but not sure what else I can take. I have never suffered with the reflux like this before, it is so painful by the end of the day, I can hardly eat anything. The hospital were of no help at all with it! Just have told me to go back to liquid & soft foods! Can't see this is making any difference at the moment, but I will continue with it till I see my GP next week. I hope this doesn't make any difference to my op next year!! I also have a hernia, an umbilical hernia. Not sure if that will be bypassed after the op? xx

Back