• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heavy Legs

WIGLET

I have been going to Zumba twice a week since having my sleeve operation in November 2011. I am finding my legs are heavy during the session. I feel as if I have not staying power and feel quite weak. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep my strength up. I have lost 7st 5lbs since my operation.

:sigh::sigh:

I found Zumba way too hard but I had never been active and 57!You need to build your stamina and muscles first.Try swimming,cycle,rowing and treadmill in short steady sessions and build up.Staff at the gym will advise you the best way to go about it.With such rapid weightloss we lose lots of muscle as well as fat.

I think its the muscle loss that makes exercise hard. Even though I've exercised throughout to try to maintain muscle I have no glutes. Those big bum muscles help us lift our legs, and as I haven't got any I find I'm very slow in the leg department. I've introduced more muscle building stuff in the last few days and hope this helps.
Swimming is great as BB says, as you build muscle without any strain on your joints.
xx

Your legs are heavy because your muscles are fatigued and can't retain enough energy to cope with the intensity of Zumba. Maybe you need to find a lower intensity workout for the time being.

If you are enjoying Zumba I would stick with it but go with the lower intensity options. Make sure you've eaten something about an hour before class. I always have a banana an hour before a workout to give me the fuel to get through it. However you may find you've got to up your general fitness before you can fully complete a Zumba class. the recommended advice is 20-30 minutes of activity that raises your heart rate and makes you breathe heavily, 3 times a week. It sounds a lot but once you start you will see improvements really fast - promise!

I love zumba, it's the only exercise I really enjoy. I've been going regularly for nearly 2 yrs now and give it my all (high intensity), I'm a bit worried that when I have the band I won't have the stamina on a restricted diet. Will this be a problem and will it get better? What about protein shakes or water will they help if I have one half hour before class?

Back