• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not new to forums but new to this one

Mixman

Hi everybody.

I stumbled upon this forum after searching for information about the pre-op diet.

My operation for Gastric Bypass is on the 30th June, so today being the 20th, I have started my diet as advised! 3 pints of milk and 2 yoghurts a day for 10 days does sound bizarre.

How do people feel during this diet? Do you get tired? Do you get grouchy? Do you get weak? It's just I work so I'm wanting to know what will happen to me during this stage!!

hi i am hoping to have a bypass and i was wondering what was the milk diet people were writing about ,
thanks for posting it above .

i hope everything goes well for you.

do you know if every one go on the milk diet before surgery or do you have a medical special need and is it only some people and can you drink reg milk or is it skimmed or semi skimmed, can you flavour it (i like cold coffe drinks)

:welcome: both. I didn't have time to do the pre-op diet in full;, so cannot give you the answers you seek, but I know there are many on here who have done it and are doing it just now and I am sure they will be along to answer your questions. All the very best!

Where are you having your ops done?

hi there i did the milk diet and was fine it was tough going for the first few days,but i was fine and had no side effects at all except i lost 1stone 6 pounds which was great for op,youll all do great just hang in there goodluck x x sarah xx

How do people feel during this diet? Do you get tired? Do you get grouchy? Do you get weak? It's just I work so I'm wanting to know what will happen to me during this stage!!

Hi Mixman

I didn't do the milk diet, but instead i was provided with milk shakes and soups by my provided, i'll be honest with you it wasn't very nice, though i was really focussed on the operation and wanted to follow the diet to the letter, therefore i didn't falter at all.

I still keep in touch with my Cambridge counsellor, and the other I got an email from her saying that one of her clients is drinking her Cambridge shakes prior to surgery, and also she will be drinking them afterwards during her liquid only phase.

~hugs~

I did the milk diet and found it fine. Its certainly worth doing if you can stick to it because not only do you get a good start on your weight loss but it gets you ready for the four weeks of free fluids following your surgery.

Good luck for the 30th.

Bonita
xx

Hi Mixman, I take it then that Mr Ackroyd is doing your op?? I did the same diet and its not that bad. The 1st 3days are the worst because your body wonders whats happaning. After that its ok. Just make the most of the milk and use it in milky coffees etc as this way its more filling that just a "glass of milk". Good luck with it lol

The diet I've been told to follow is this.

3 pints of skimmed/semi skimmed milk and 2 low calorie/light yoghurts (200g) per day.

Drinks to be taken freely:-

Tea/coffee can be taken freely, milk to be taken out of the daily allowance, no sugar!!

Diet fizzy drinks

No added sugar fruit squash.

Water

My surgeon talks about diet fizzy drinks like they are the work of the Devil LOL.

I've managed to come down from 4-6 a day to 1-2 a day.

Hi Mixman
Welcome to minis. I'm due to start my pre op diet at the end of next month. Mr Ammori, my surgeon gives out a low fat low carb diet as he feels the milk diet is more likely to be broken so can't really help with any advice but just wanted to say hi and welcome xx

My surgeon talks about diet fizzy drinks like they are the work of the Devil LOL.

I've managed to come down from 4-6 a day to 1-2 a day.

Most banders or bypassers cant consume fizzy drinks, the gas hurts and the burping is horrendous, so its something you may not be able to tolerate post op anyway. I tend to drink still drinks or juice, and only wander into the world of fizzy for a G&T on occassion.

good half a glass of ice kills the gas/bubbles leave for 1-2 mins u got a flat coke ;)

Thanks for all the kind words people!!

Well it's the end of my second day of the milk/yoghurt diet and I'm doing fantastic with it. No idea why, perhaps it's because I know it's for the greater goal!! Even going to a party/BBQ yesterday didn't tempt me. I had to nip home for an hour and have my second yoghurt but sitting there drinking milk whilst all around were getting drunk (Some people making fools of themselves) was quite funny!

It's quite funny as I look forward to my multi vitamin chew in the morning as it's the only sweet tasting thing allowed!!

Are you allowed sweeteners? I'm having tea with no sugar, which I suppose is better for me, but I do/did have a sweet tooth!!

Hi Mixman, I take it then that Mr Ackroyd is doing your op?? I did the same diet and its not that bad. The 1st 3days are the worst because your body wonders whats happaning. After that its ok. Just make the most of the milk and use it in milky coffees etc as this way its more filling that just a "glass of milk". Good luck with it lol

Yes, Dr.Ackroyd is the guy ;)

Yes, Dr.Ackroyd is the guy ;)

Hi Mixman

Mr Ackroyd is ok,never seems to say much but i guess actions speak loader than words lol.He is a gr8 surgeon.

Myself and Thinkbethin are seeing him on 25th June for our first consultation since our op,we will put a good word in for you and ask him to be gentle :D.

Good luck with the last few days of your milk and yoghurt diet ,sounds like you have the will power to see it thru.

xx

Back