• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie awaiting gastric sleeve at Walsall Manor Hospital

Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. My names Anita, I'm a 42 yr married mum of two currently awaiting gastric sleeve at Walsall Manor Hospital.
After years of weight gain and no success from diets it was discovered that I have PCOS and was insulin resistant. Each time I've tried to diet my body has lost 2 stone then gone into metabolic stasis and I've started to increase weight again while on diet. My gp referred me to Walsall bariatric team after seeing what else could be done for my other PCOS symptoms . I was amazed when Mr Kendrick explained exactly how my body had been behaving and explained a gastric sleeve would remove the hormone receptors as well as reduce my stomach size. Hadn't considered a sleeve but it sounds like it's the right thing for me. Had three appointments so far, seen psych, and next appointment in a couple of weeks hopefully see anaesthetist and get a date. Anyone on here had surgery at Walsall manor? When u saw the anaesthetist how soon after did you have your op? Also does anyone know how long liver shrinkage diet is? Some say two weeks , others four.. just browsing this site has been so helpful, great to see success stories and like minded people looking to improve our lives. Looking forward to getting to know more of you..

Last edited:

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome!

It sounds like your well on the way to getting that date so hopefully it'll be soon!

My pre op diet was two weeks but yes, your right it does vary xx

Maria61

Welcome. I am a newbie too at Luton hospital. Currently doing 4 week liver shrinking diet and will have to do it again for 2 weeks before surgery. It is very hard but you do lose weight. I don't have any surgery date yet but am at the hospital next Monday. Good luck to you xxxx

Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. My names Anita, I'm a 42 yr married mum of two currently awaiting gastric sleeve at Walsall Manor Hospital.
After years of weight gain and no success from diets it was discovered that I have PCOS and was insulin resistant. Each time I've tried to diet my body has lost 2 stone then gone into metabolic stasis and I've started to increase weight again while on diet. My gp referred me to Walsall bariatric team after seeing what else could be done for my other PCOS symptoms . I was amazed when Mr Kendrick explained exactly how my body had been behaving and explained a gastric sleeve would remove the hormone receptors as well as reduce my stomach size. Hadn't considered a sleeve but it sounds like it's the right thing for me. Had three appointments so far, seen psych, and next appointment in a couple of weeks hopefully see anaesthetist and get a date. Anyone on here had surgery at Walsall manor? When u saw the anaesthetist how soon after did you have your op? Also does anyone know how long liver shrinkage diet is? Some say two weeks , others four.. just browsing this site has been so helpful, great to see success stories and like minded people looking to improve our lives. Looking forward to getting to know more of you..
Hi and good luck to you first of all I am also under the manor hospital for surgery but I have only had one appointment with dr hartland so far and seen the dietician and the activity person am seeing the dietician again tomorrow after last seeing her 6 weeks ago haven't got to see dr hartland again till December 13th and not sure what to expect then can u tell me what happened at your second appointment with the doctor at the manor and also what happened next and a time frame from when you had all of this start many thanks Donna

Hi Donna, sorry for the late reply.
My appointments started end of Feb 2016. Had first appointment with Dr Hartland and saw dietician who gave me a 5%weight loss goal before she sees me next, just prior to surgery she said. Dr Hartland talked over possible options. Given main issue is my hormone receptors in stomach , sleeve gastrectomy was suggested. Had to go away and consider.

2nd appt was May, again with Dr Hartland, was weighed had started to lose and advised wanted the sleeve. Dr Hartland talked over the next process.

Next appt with psychiatrist Dr Kendrick. Had to cancel this end of May and reschedule as moved house. New appt was August. Had appt and was declared sane to have op.

Also in between appts did conference to learn about the diets, need and life after. You will get a letter giving you various dates available. You have to attend before surgery.

I now have appt tomorrow with Dr Hartland and hopefully will get to sign forms and get anaesthetist dates. Not sure how much longer but recon be after Xmas now. Pretty much st the weight they asked for so weight and see.

How did you get on with your appointment?

Anita

Hi and good luck to you first of all I am also under the manor hospital for surgery but I have only had one appointment with dr hartland so far and seen the dietician and the activity person am seeing the dietician again tomorrow after last seeing her 6 weeks ago haven't got to see dr hartland again till December 13th and not sure what to expect then can u tell me what happened at your second appointment with the doctor at the manor and also what happened next and a time frame from when you had all of this start many thanks Donna
Donna

[
Hi Donna, sorry for the late reply.
My appointments started end of Feb 2016. Had first appointment with Dr Hartland and saw dietician who gave me a 5%weight loss goal before she sees me next, just prior to surgery she said. Dr Hartland talked over possible options. Given main issue is my hormone receptors in stomach , sleeve gastrectomy was suggested. Had to go away and consider.

2nd appt was May, again with Dr Hartland, was weighed had started to lose and advised wanted the sleeve. Dr Hartland talked over the next process.

Next appt with psychiatrist Dr Kendrick. Had to cancel this end of May and reschedule as moved house. New appt was August. Had appt and was declared sane to have op.

Also in between appts did conference to learn about the diets, need and life after. You will get a letter giving you various dates available. You have to attend before surgery.

I now have appt tomorrow with Dr Hartland and hopefully will get to sign forms and get anaesthetist dates. Not sure how much longer but recon be after Xmas now. Pretty much st the weight they asked for so weight and see.

How did you get on with your appointment?

Anita
Hi Anita thanks for the reply I saw the dietician today and have lost half a stone since I saw her last in September so quite pleased but I can usually lose a bit like this but then it all stops and ends up coming back on again got to see her again mid November and wait to see if I change the tablets the doctor started me on a few weeks ago as haven't got to
See dr hartland again till mid December thanks for all the info hopefully u will start hartland and all them and get the news you want for the dates Donna x

Last edited by a moderator:

Louisex21

I seen aneastatist on 1st of September and was told January I would have surgery they did say its about a 3-4 month waiting list. Hope that helps