• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from Central London

civvygit

ass-kickin'-mama
Hello, I'm a mother of 3 living in Central London with my lovely other half and our little dog.

Been going through this since goodness knows when, I'd have to look in the family file for all the letters, recently found out the PCT need a letter from my GP, a referral no less, that should have been with them right at the start!

If anyone has any info on Islington PCT, the Whittington coordinator and how to kick start them into action please help!

Happily attending OA each week, looking at the reasons behind my addiction and weight gain to get me emotionally and mentally ready for my operation.

That's about it really...... Oh yeah, and how did you get your BMI into your side bar?

Best wishes

Hi and welcome to the forum. Can't answer any of your questions as I was under St. Georges Tooting but want to wish you loads of luck on your journey.

Think you need a certain number of posts before you can post info. But have a look under the User CP tab at the top as you might find it there.

Kate x

Hiya and welcome, if u go to USER CP near top left and go to edit details xx

Oh yeah, and how did you get your BMI into your side bar?

Go to the "User CP" area (top left of the menu bar). Add as many details as you can inc. height and weight -- then it will calculate your BMI for you.

If anyone has any info on Islington PCT, the Whittington coordinator and how to kick start them into action please help!

The co-ordinator's name is Lorna Antoine and all of the Bariatric Team's info at the Whittington is available online:

Whittington NHS Trust Website: Contact details

Please do also come to the Whittington patient support meetings:
Whittington NHS Trust Website: Patient support group
(third Thursday of every month -- next one 16 Feb)

TO KICK START YOUR GP:

1. Get an appointment with your GP and ask him to write official referral letter to either Mr Heath or Mr Sufi for bariatric surgery (including that you are already attending weight management).

2. Get your GP to fill in the forms for funding for "exceptional circumstances" (bariatric surgery is treated as "exceptional" because it is not routine -- it has to be approved in advance unlike emergency treatment / cancer treatment etc) and send them off to your PCT.

After the initial referral (which my GP was very good and quick about) I had to "chase" him and his admin team for everything else -- principally the funding forms and making sure his secretary got them sent off.

Since all the North London PCT's joined together I *believe* that funding may be a little easier and smoother -- it is just your GP you need to kick start into action, no one else! (in my experience!) :p

just wanted to say hi and welcome. have just been bypassed by dr heath nearly 3 weeks ago. i had alot pf probs with funding but just keep on. lorna will chase things up for you but keep on at the pct! my letters were lost so many times! so keep on and keep yourself at the top of the list. i first asked my doc for refereral in dec 2009 and had surgery jan 13th 2012!!
good luck with your journey xxx

Hello, Thanks for the heads up, well I called Lorna who told me the PCT had the papers, so I called them and they told me the initial referral papers hadn't included a piece they needed, (Why they didn't just send the papers back to the GP is beyond me!?) anyway, they have now sent that to my GP and she has filled it in, as of Monday the 6th, called the PCT this morning and they still haven't received it......

It's like swimming with your feet tied to the pier, you get no-where fast!

Am going to call both the GP and the PCT on Monday morning and see where we're at then.

On a brighter note I'm off for my appointment at the Apnea Clinic tomorrow.

good luck and keep nagging :)

Thanks Angie, to be honest I just keep looking at the side bars on all the members here and that gives me hope!

We have a few things we say to stop me binge eating, one of the them is 3W-L-2S which is code for What Would Weight Loss Surgery Say!

Just for my future records, my Bariatric Group session was in December 2010

Hi it might be worth getting a copy of the referal from GP and then fax it across to PCT,or drop it in to them as you are local to pct. once you got the funding back on the Lorna to arrange date , The whit team are really good, you will be in great hands...it is the best thing I ever did regarding loosing weight you have to work with it ad when you do the results are fabulous!! best of luck

Thanks Judy, what surgery did you have?

I'm calling my GP now.

Thanks!

Quick up-date.....

The GP have sent the letter to the PCT, last Tuesday, can't understand why it's not been received, have left a copy at the reception desk in the Surgery for collection today.

I'll be faxing it to the PCT, calling them tomorrow to find out if it's been received and when it'll be action-ed, then I'll call Lorna and give her a quick up-date.

Many thanks!

I had a gastric bypass as i waned something permanent!! nver want to go back to being so overweight!! best thing i ever did, worth the initial discomfort , I am now awaiting a date for my plastics (yes you do get left with some hanging skin which causes some problems but being younger your skin might bounce back better, and even if it doesnt there is help out there one way or the other...good luck and be nice but firm with the doc and pct, if you have co morbidities should not be an issue....good luck x

faxes hardly ever get lost :) they usually get there straight away so i would phone 15 mins after sending and then again if they say they haven't got it at least with faxing you have the copy and send as often as necessary nag nag nag :)

In my sticky wee hand I now have the one piece of paper they need..... For now, I think they're stalling. (am a former nurse and know how the system works at this time of the financial year.)

Will fax it tomorrow then follow up.

Today I was fitted for my rather attractive nose hose...... I can see a whole round of group captain and bomber command comments heading my way, at least I have a week to get used to it while hubby is skiing!

:)

Judy I get you, feel the same way, can't trust me not to mess up if the option is there!

Update!

The PCT has received the paperwork and all seems to be in order.

I should now hear from them in the next 14 days.

My nose-hose has caused severe bruising across my face and I need to have a pillow attachment.

I'm running a fever and have a slight runny nose as well, I think it might be dust allergies! Maybe I should clean up a bit. :break_diet:

Well the PCT have now approved the funding and passed the paperwork to Lorna at the Whittington, I've got an appointment with Mr Heath in April and spoke to Kirsten yesterday to reassure me as the conversation with Lorna left me with a few concerns. Not least as she'd used the phrase 'Mr Heath will then decided if you can have surgery.' :eek: But he already told me I was having the surgery!!!!!!

Crossed wires, he's only to see one more test adn that looks fine and then it's moving forward again!

Am excited, but read one persons experience of the Whittington here and I must say it sounded awful! :sigh:

Hope mine's better.

x

Back