• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello..! Explanation..?

purplefluffything

Hi to those who remember me
& to all new friends ..!!
I have been very unwell with pain due to my pain consultant doing trials on my pump. They need to see it's still doing it's job & I'm recieving what I
Should be revieving. My pump is due to be replaced very shortly as the battery is very low.
To the peeps that have no idea what I'm on about lol I will explain; I have had back and leg pain for

over 20 odd yrs, I have had various pain
medications & had lots of bad side effects . Also tried physio, lots of nerve blocks etc, next was
a spinal fusion; unfortunately this failed & left me in
worse pain. So now the drs decided I would be a good
for the intrathecal morphine pain pump..
The pump is about 2 inches deep 4 inches across & attatched to one part of pump
Is a tube called a catheter the otherend of cathtter is inserted into the spine. The pump is implanted in
my tummy. The catheter is tunneled under the skin
around the side of my stomach around to my back this is then attached & stitched into place in my spine a part called the intrathecal space, morphine & or other
medications are delivered from pump through the
catheter into my spine. The pump is then programed by a computer controlled by the consultant.....
This helps with some pain but not all.
Hope this helps, please feel free to ask anything your not sure of.
Back to weight loss stuff ;)
I started my journey last march 2009 at my Gp surgery, my Gp who gave me a choose & book form. The
Whittington was on this form, one of which I chose.
I went to education session in June last yr &
by now had met lots of lovely people from here; including, Meg & Roche another few ladies from the Whittington( forgive me I cannot remember names
right now, they will come back )
I had my first appt with Mr sufi 2009 August.
I've had many ups & downs with test being cancled
etc. Then it was the big one Funding...,!!!!! All of a sudden I got a call
and letter saying the Whittington was not under my
heath pct I just wanted to give up did not want to talk
to anyone just went into a dark , dark
place with this news. My pain was very bad at this time . My pain is still bad I have very bad flare ups some days are worse than others.
Thankfully a fairy god mother was helping me all the way in
in the form of a lovely lovely lady called Lorna! Lorna fought very hard for me as did my husband he got onto the pct as well.
Phone calls & letters were going back &
forth for months to & from the Whittington .
Mr sufi himself wrote to letters on my behalf . I was told may times that Mr sufi wanted my surgery to go ahead! & was very determined to make sure it would do by adding his two letters.
Every week was meant to be the week were going to
hear, then it got a lot closer, until it should have been
Friday last week then yesterday Tuesday ..
I finaly got the best call of all today, Lorna
called me to give me the news iv been waiting for that I had my funding the battle was over! yes yes yes omg! !
I was just gob smacked, crying, every emotion came at once :)
Mr sufi is away the whole of august plus
within the next few months iv got to have my op for
pump replacement.
I expect we will wait for me to recover from
Pump op then go for the big one, lorna is contacting me early sept. Mr sufi is busy
soon as he's back at work.
I will get to see Mr sufi sept to plan the op as Mr sufi will have to correspond with my pain
consultant, Mr sufi needs information & X-rays
regarding my pump, , Mr sufi is going to
do the surgery by fluroscopy so he does not go near the pump during surgery.
Well I'm shattered happy & glad to be back on track ..
I have been lurking when I feel like it so I can keep up
with everyone..
Congratulations to all u skinnys
I hardly reconise you. Good luck to all who are almost ready for surgery.. I expect I cld have had mine pretty soon but to be honest I don't mind waiting until
sometime early 2011 just as long as I'm having it soon. yes!!
Night god bless everyone
Take care hugs xxx

Last edited:

Sambucca

Hi Diana

Im so glad that your long battle for funding is over, and sorry to hear you have been in such pain.

Hope you dont have to wait too long hun x

phatmomma

Very sad that you had such a fight, but well done to your heroes for fighting with you in your corner...

I echo what Sam said, i hope you don't wait too much longer for your surgery x

cherry

i to hope you recieve your op soon, sounds like you ve had a right time of it it good luck huni x

Bev

Hi Diana,

You certainly need a medal for 'Endurance'.

Do hope that the pain management continues to improve for you precious.

Also hoping that your surgery will be sooner rather than later.

Sending love to you on your journey and keep in touch with us...

take good care... xxx

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Oh what a time you've had Diana. I hope that op comes quick x

purplefluffything

Morning, thank you so much for such caring & sincere replys to me .
The fight was such an annoying bee in
My bonnet so to speak! Because if I hadn't been given a choose & book & been told what hospitals my pct covered I would not have had none of this trouble..
I had no idea how the pct worked so just picked a hospital from the list of 4 I had been given. I read up on info & chose the Whittington .
I should have been told I was under the Homerton or Luton & dunstable !! But By the time I had found out this & been given the wrong list of hospitals I had
already had all of my test I was just waiting for the
answer for funding ! This is when the fight began.
I had met mr sufi's annethtist who was/is going to look
after me, they all thought it was not fair for me to
begin again..
Thankfuly I now have it.
I think my pump will have to be done first but after
this wait I don't mind a little longer..
Plus Mr sufi will not be back until first week of sept &
then Lorna said he is operating straight away so I will
see him I expect middle September. Hopefully I wld have had pump my surgery so we can then begin the
work up to this Op!
Im scared badly but in the same breath I can't wait
even for the pre op diet etc . I had other little hold ups
along the way so will probably remember later.
I'm sure I will be wanting lots of your info & experience on this even though I did lots of research at the beginning due to thinking it would have been
over by last spring.
Thank you again xx

Last edited:

keeley86

Hi, nice to meet you! it sounds like you have been through alot but im glad things are starting to look up for you, good luck with everything!
luv n hugs

purplefluffything

Hi keely lovely to meet with u too..
People have been so kind welcoming me back .
Funny thing is I started making friends last yr & with people going through the same stage as
Me.
I'm now trying to find my feet
& hoping I will fit in with new & old once again.
It's even nicer to go through something like this with friends in the same boat. XxxX hugs

purplefluffything

Hello Allie , it's good to see an old face (as in long term friend lol not ur old ;) )
When I hear someone say congratulations on getting my funding I can't believe it's me that's got it, I really haven't took it all in yet :dragon::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::wee::party0011:
I can't wait to actually get started too but I really am that happy that I know I have another surgery to get through first I really don't mind a small wait .
I must say Allie you look
Lush!
Hugs x

k8y bear

Fair Fat and over Fourty!
Hello Mrs Purplefluffything, My gosh you have been through the mill, I hope you get better and things start to improve for you soon. xx

FatGirlsDoDiet

Hi Diana so glad you are getting there. I had my appointment with registra on Monday and he has put me on the waiting list. Does anyone know what happens next? When do u get your date? I am scared but also excited!