• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello from a newbie

beccles

Hello all!

I joined a couple of weeks back & until now have just browsing and finding the site very useful....so I thought it about time I said hello to everyone...

In November my Dr agreed to apply for funding from our PCT for WLS but he warned me it can take 12-18 months, so after discussions with my mother & husband and with their support it's been decided for me to go private - I had a consultation with Mr El-Hasani (BMI Chelsfield) mid-december who recommended thats as I have Diabetes type 1 and an underactive thyroid then a Gastric Bypass is the best option and he is willing to accept me :) as a patient of his..

I decided to take a week or 2 to digest everything & do a bit more research prior to booking the appt and thanks to you guys on here I made my final decision last week, which was to forge ahead - so called the hospital but unfortunately the staff I need to speak to aren't back in until the 4th Jan :(....ah well, I left them an answerphone message so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will be booked..

So! about Me! well I'm 40 & approcahing 41 too fast!! I have a lovely & v.supportive husband, no kids but 2 adorable dogs, work in London & live in Kent.

I won't be telling any of my friends or anyone at work about the surgery, as far as they will be concerned I am just having abdominal surgery no further detail than that - did anyone else do the same?

As I'm only telling 3 people about the surgery (all family) I'll probably be bothering all of you with my worries and to get all the info I get - hope you don't mind....

I hope to get to know you all a lot better throughout this journey - and am looking forward to a new me :)

Becks

:thankyou:

Hi Becks and :welcome: to WLS, pleased to have you! You will find all the help and advice you could want here, there is usually one of us here that will have an answer to any of your questions :D XX

Hi bek and welcome
I'm at the start of my journey been accepted for a bypass on the nhs just awaiting date for op so we will b doing our journey together!!!
Good luck with surgery hope all goes well, iv not told lots of ppl and as for work I'm on maternity leave at the minute but I go bk febuary 28th and if I ain't had op by then, then I think I'm gonna tell my manager so she knows so I can have sick leave paid... Will u be telling ur boss or r u gonna just say it's abdominal surgery? Xx

Hi Becks, welcome to the WLS family x

Welcome becks and good luck with your journey.

Linski xx

Hi Ya and welcome. This is a great source of info, I am finding invaluable tips.

I haven't told most people, only my closest friends and my immediate family. I am finding it hard not to shout from the roof tops at the moment though, so have told a couple of USA facebook buddies on Chat just to get it out of my system LOL.

So as you are going private, you should be very quick in getting a date. Well done you and good luck Trisha xx

Hi and Welcome! I too went private and hardly told anyone - although I now do feel like shouting it from the rooftops. It was the best money I have ever spent and I already feel so much healthier and happier (4 months post op). Good luck on your journey - Bypass rocks!!

Hiya and welome, to the best wls forum possibly anywhere xxxxx

I have told everyone that will listen about my bypass lol, but everyone of us are different thats why this site is so great, as you get so many opinions that you can find the right one for you

good luck with your journey xxxx

Hi Becks and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of support here. I am set to see team next week when I will hopefully get a date. Only family know about my intended wls at the moment and I think that's how I'll keep it as I know they are supportive.

Hope you get your date booked in soon.

Hello becks. I like you would have struggled with nhs so have an app next Tue about private but Will still take some time as got to raise the money. My hub nearly died when I told him how much he Was thinking 3000 only 6 and a half thousand out. I won't tell a soul apart from hub. people don't tend understand from my exp. My mom has got to have hernia removed tomorrow and thinks you Should never have surgery unless you have no option. Good luck look forward to compairing notes x X

Yeah I have some friends like that Dani. So anti surgery, so I shan't tell them till it is over. Hope your mums op goes OK, and that your appointment does too. xx

wow guys, thanks so much for the warm welcome....I would love to shout it from the rooftops, I'm not embarrassed by it as I am very excited for the opportunity & can't wait for the new me, but after listening to people at work talk about celebrities and gastric bands I have decided to keep it personal, for now anyhow....

I also now have a date - 13th FEB!!!! :eek: but :D

Congratulations, Wow that will come round in No time. No long wait for you, it will be fantastic. Best wishes T xx

hello there,

you will find this site and the people a god-send when you are considering surgery,and even more after the operation.
I too didnt tell anyone about me having my bypass done,apart from mum,sis and best friend.
Its a shame to say but there are lots of people who think having this type of surgery is the easy-way out(and its certainly not)thats why I chose not to tell hardly anyone.
But its the BEST THING iVE DONE ever!

take care xx

Back