• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello, had gastric band 2 weeks ago.

paulachick

hya i,m paula, i had a gastric band done on 17th of june 2010. a week ago i started eating mashed food and, when i found i could tolerate it i started eating everything. (healthy and smaller amounts) and i have to say i feel great. still slightly sore where my port is, but i haven,t taken any pain relief since day 3, but i,ve spoke to a couple of people thats had it done and i,ve been told that they think i,m on solids to soon. please can someone help as i need some advice.

thanks.

Hi Paula,

Welcome to the forums. When you say you had your band "done" are you referring to the initial surgery or the first band fill? If you've only had the surgery then the reason you're able to eat pretty much as normal might be because you don't have any saline in your band yet. The hosptials that I've dealt with don't do the initial fill for six to eight weeks post-surgery and there's no restriction until you've had the first fill in order to give your body some time to adjust to the surgery.

Anyway, you've taken what can be a life changing step so congratulations on that! If you need any help or advise just ask people on here and they'll love to share their stories and advice.

Regards, Ade.

Hi ya Paula,

not a bander but just wanted to say hi & welcome.

Didn't your provider give you any dietary advice, you usually get a sheet advising of how long to stay on liquids, purees then mushies before moving onto solids. Each provider tends to vary between the length of time on each stage.

If your unsure you should give them a ring and check that your doing ok.

Good luck with your journey x

hya i,m paula, i had a gastric band done on 17th of june 2010. a week ago i started eating mashed food and, when i found i could tolerate it i started eating everything. (healthy and smaller amounts) and i have to say i feel great. still slightly sore where my port is, but i haven,t taken any pain relief since day 3, but i,ve spoke to a couple of people thats had it done and i,ve been told that they think i,m on solids to soon. please can someone help as i need some advice.

thanks.

At this stage the ONLY advice you should be seeking is from your band provider. If they havent provided enough advice please ask them! Its really important whilst you are healing to get things right.

When you start to have fills you may also have to revert to liquids for a while.

Good luck x

not a bander just wanted to say hi x and goodluck on your journey x

Hi and welcome. Glad to see you are feeling ok. As for advice I am unable to offer any not had my surgery yet and having bypass. I am sure others will be along soon too.

Hi Paula ,
I just want to say welcome to the site it really is very helpful. I have not had my surgery yet but i can not wait. Good luck with wls journey. Marie.
:welcome2:

thanks for all your replies, but it took me ages to work out how to find my way round the forum lol:).in answer to some of your questions i,ve got my first fill on 22nd july so i,ll have to wait and see how i go from there.i did have a diet sheet but, after speaking to someone i know thats also had a band i followed what she,s done.

i'll let you know how i get on.

paula xx.

thanks for all your replies, but it took me ages to work out how to find my way round the forum lol:).

Welcome to the forum:D

in answer to some of your questions i,ve got my first fill on 22nd july so i,ll have to wait and see how i go from there.i did have a diet sheet but, after speaking to someone i know thats also had a band i followed what she,s done.

You should never follow what someone else has done, only the information from the diet sheet that was given to you by your provider, as they all have different rules and regulations, i.e. my diet sheet states liquids first two weeks, then mushie stuff, and then more solids from weeks 4. Ask you provider and then you will find out for sure .

i'll let you know how i get on.

Hope you get on well :D- All the best - MeJulie xxxxxxx

Back