• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello to everyone :o)

Casper82

Hi my name is Carrie, I'm 28 and live in Essex...
I have been overweight since my teens, back then they called it "puppy fat" which soon turned to obesity after my first child when I was 19.
I'm now 19 stone with a BMI of 45.4 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes earlier this year.
After trying all sorts of diets, and medication I have now decided my only option is surgery, as I find it difficult to lose weight even when I am dieting due to having PCOS. I saw my GP a few weeks ago armed with all the info I needed to put up a fight with him.. Only for him to act like I'd asked for some paracetamol when I asked to be referred for surgery LOL.. I could not believe it when I got a letter through the door 2 weeks later from Homerton Hospital!! And this is where I'll probably start getting annoying, as I have 1000 questions :p

I know every area is different, but I was wondering if anyone who is under Homerton knows what will happen next, and how long it all takes roughly... The appointment I have is to meet all the members of the bariatric team, have a blood test, go to an education session, and then to another appointment in the afternoon.
It says on the letter they will make a decision on wether I'm suitable for wls, and if so they will apply to my PCT (which is South East Essex) How long does it take for them to make a decision on the funding? And how long after that can I expect to have the surgery? (if they say yes)

Thanks in advance

Carrie x x

What a great introduction x welcome to the clan x

Welcome Carrie to our family. I'm under Homerton as well. I had one appointment (where I saw the dietician, registrar/surgeon, had a group session) that was in July 2009. I didn't hear anything (not even whether I had got funding) until November when they phoned me up out of the blue and asked whether I would be available to have my op on 4th December! Needless to say I made myself available and had the pre-op appointment the week before the op where they gave me a diet sheet to follow and then a week later I went for the op. I never saw a psychologist or had a sleep apnea test and it was very quick after getting the phone call. I am type II diabetic on tablets (7 a day) and I now don't have to take anything for that as my blood sugar has come right down. Good luck, hope its just as quick for you.

Thanks for your replies ladies, much appreciated :)
Stella thanks for the info about Homerton.. 4 months :eek::eek: I bet that was a shock when you got that call!! I don't think I'll be that lucky myself though :( That is fab about the diabetes.. Being diagnosed with that is what has made me take the decision for surgery. They decided to start me on Metformin right away, as I was only 27 when I was diagnosed. I'm not sure if it's under control though, as I keep forgetting to go for the hba1c test.
I have another question (sorry :p ) According the my PCT guidelines I fot the criteria because my BMI is over 40 and I have diabetes.. Can they refuse me funding? Or do they have to fund me because I fir the criteria? I'm worrying they might not fund me because I'm only a recently diagnosed diabetic.

Thanks for your replies ladies, much appreciated :)
Stella thanks for the info about Homerton.. 4 months :eek::eek: I bet that was a shock when you got that call!! I don't think I'll be that lucky myself though :( That is fab about the diabetes.. Being diagnosed with that is what has made me take the decision for surgery. They decided to start me on Metformin right away, as I was only 27 when I was diagnosed. I'm not sure if it's under control though, as I keep forgetting to go for the hba1c test.
I have another question (sorry :p ) According the my PCT guidelines I fot the criteria because my BMI is over 40 and I have diabetes.. Can they refuse me funding? Or do they have to fund me because I fir the criteria? I'm worrying they might not fund me because I'm only a recently diagnosed diabetic.

Hey Carrie,

I'm not Homerton either, but I just wanted to say 'HI' & :welcome2:!

This is a great site, lots of friendly advice & support from experienced posters who have been there, done it & got the T-shirt!

I am sure others will be along soon who can offer you more specific info on your area.....good luck!

Hi, i'm not with Homerton but a good friend of mine recently had a bypass there she waited just under 18 months start to finish but even in the same area every case seems different.......Good Luck with your journey :D

Just popping in to say hi and welcome.

Hi Carrie, I am not with Homerton I had my op at Charing Cross but I do live in Essex, where are you? I am in Maldon and always love to hear from fellow Essexers!!!! xxx

Hiya sorry for the double post... I thought something was wrong as my post didn't appear, I didn't realise it has to be ok'd by a mod first.
Thanks for welcoming me to the site... Seawaves that's the sort of time frame I was expecting. I wonder why it's so different for different people.
Mimsie I live in Rochford. I was in Maldon on Friday, took the kids to Promenade Park. I come from London but have called Essex my home for the past 5 years, I would never go back.

Hi Carrie and welcome to the best site on the net for all info wls related....

Good luck on your journey and be sure to post as much as you can as most privileges kick in after 50 posts xx

welcome carrie not homerton but wanted to say hi to you and goodluck...................my whole journey from funding to op was 10 months but thats under charing crossx

Hi Carrie

Welcome to this friendly informative site.

Have a good look around.
xx

Hiya sorry for the double post... I thought something was wrong as my post didn't appear, I didn't realise it has to be ok'd by a mod first.
Thanks for welcoming me to the site... Seawaves that's the sort of time frame I was expecting. I wonder why it's so different for different people.
Mimsie I live in Rochford. I was in Maldon on Friday, took the kids to Promenade Park. I come from London but have called Essex my home for the past 5 years, I would never go back.

OMG that is unbelievable, I was there on Friday aswell!!! Spent most of my time between water park and pirate ship. Well not literally but watching friends children!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Hi Carrie, I think funding it down to your PCT - mine was Tower Hamlets and I think my GP sorted out the funding before they referred me. My PCT criteria was 40 bmi (37 if co-morbidity such as diabetes) so I automatically got it but I don't think it matters about how long you have had it - in fact the shorter period of time you have diabetes the better (according to the registrar at the hospital) as you don't develop any of the long term illnesses that would hinder the op and more chance of it helping the diabetes. Good luck and hope you get a short waiting time. Don't know if a different government and the cuts they are going to make will have an effect on our operations but hoping not!

Back